• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God-shaped hole?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
This is what I think, this is my opinion:

I think that spiritually, we humans each have a God-shaped hole in our being

And that as long as this hole is empty we are not complete

This hole can of course be filled by letting God into your life

By becoming a man or woman of God

But it can also be filled by other things...

I'm not preaching that you should fill your God-shaped hole with God...

Fill it with whatever you want, I don't care, that's not my business :D

But I believe God is the simplest and most direct way of filling it

Because I believe humans were made to have a relationship with God and to have God in our lives

I believe that God completes me and I am glad I have let him into my life

For me, God has filled my God-shaped hole

What type of thing can fill a God-shaped hole?

Basically, I'd say anything that makes you feel as though you're a part of something greater than yourself, and anything that gives purpose and meaning to your existence - and a sense of acceptance and integration

But of course, it is possible to have God in your life and engage in other things that make you feel a part of something greater than yourself and which gives meaning and purpose to your life and a sense of acceptance and integration

You can have God and those other things

I am very thankful that I have come to believe in God as had this had not happened to me my God-shaped hole would be unfilled, I think that faith is a great thing to have

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
think that spiritually, we humans each have a God-shaped hole in our being

I would be honoured if you could edit the quoted sentence to exclude me and all those humans who have no need to have a god sitting on their shoulder

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Because I believe humans were made to have a relationship with God and to have God in our lives

Basically, I'd say anything that makes you feel as though you're a part of something greater than yourself, and anything that gives purpose and meaning to your existence - and a sense of acceptance and integration

But of course, it is possible to have God in your life and engage in other things that make you feel a part of something greater than yourself and which gives meaning and purpose to your life and a sense of acceptance and integration

I am very thankful that I have come to believe in God as had this had not happened to me my God-shaped hole would be unfilled, I think that faith is a great thing to have

I think that I understand what you mean. For me God never filled that void (maybe I followed the wrong version of God, I don't know). But what did fill that void satisfactorily was creativity and self expression.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

You certainly aren't the first theist I've seen describe things in these terms, but when I hear someone say things like "we all have a 'God-shaped hole,'" what I hear is "I just can't relate to non-theistic viewpoints."

If believing in God helps to give your life meaning and value, fine... but saying that everyone has a "God-shaped hole" in their life makes no more sense than saying that when someone takes the subway, this "fills the car-shaped hole in their life," or that everyone has a "golf-sized hole in their life" that some people try to fill with other sports.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'd say that he can morph into whatever shape he needs to in order to be able to fulfil one's need for longing, belonging, meaning, purpose, and acceptance
Heh - if God can squish into any shape, then there can be no such thing as a "God-shaped hole."

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I would be honoured if you could edit the quoted sentence to exclude me and all those humans who have no need to have a god sitting on their shoulder
I thought I'd made it clear in the OP that I believe that the hole that exists in every person's being can be successfully filled with things other than God. I am not claiming that everyone needs God, I'm saying that God can satisfy universal human needs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I thought I'd made it clear in the OP that I believe that the hole that exists in every person's being can be successfully filled with things other than God. I am not claiming that everyone needs God, I'm saying that God can satisfy universal human needs.
Religion often does that, yes. A sense of community and a sense of belonging to a group are important; religion definitely provides these things.

Many religions also address other needs, like fear of death and a yearning for purpose. IMO, they generally do it with falsehoods and lack of substance, but religions definitely do latch onto real human needs.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Not ever person has the god shaped hole you insisted we all have. Just because you cannot imagine that everyone does not believe as you believe does mot mean you can impose your beliefs on them

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Not ever person has the god shaped hole you insisted we all have. Just because you cannot imagine that everyone does not believe as you believe does mot mean you can impose your beliefs on them
If one's God-shaped hole is filled with things other than God then it is no longer a God-shaped hole - as it has been successfully filled

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
But those holes would be shaped like whatever they're shaped like; they wouldn't be "God-shaped." Right?
They would if God could morph into a finite variety of shapes

If God could assume a finite variety of shapes then there would be many possible God-shapes

ChristineM

Premium Member
If one's God-shaped hole is filled with things other than God then it is no longer a God-shaped hole - as it has been successfully filled

It wasn't a god shaped hole in the first place, you cannot impose your imagination on other people

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It wasn't a god shaped hole in the first place, you cannot impose your imagination on other people
Can I ask, do you feel as though you have the psychological need to feel as though you are a part of something that's greater than yourself? And does your life need purpose and meaning and a sense of acceptance and integration?

Because all those needs are God-shaped

And that isn't to say that they cannot be met by other means

ChristineM

Premium Member
Can I ask, do you feel as though you have the psychological need to feel as though you are a part of something that's greater than yourself? And does your life need purpose and meaning and a sense of acceptance and integration?

Because all those needs are God-shaped

And that isn't to say that they cannot be met by other means

You can ask, my family are greater than myself.
Purpose is a personal goal, in my case survive at least until my kids have fledged but in the grand scheme of things see no purpose to life, its just an event, a blip on the arrow of time