• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God & Santa Claus - Poll for atheists

Atheists: Is God or Santa Claus more likely to exist?

• I believe that it is more likely that God exists than Santa Claus.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I believe that it is more likely that Santa Claus exists than God.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I believe that God's existence and Santa Claus' existence are equally improbable.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
St Nicholas was a real person, although his role in our lives and his powers are as a result of a well-meaning but ultimately fanciful tale passed through and changed by generations. Its usefulness as a story, as a life lesson, as something for kids, or as a quaint bit of life decoration is debatable, but ultimately I don't care how much people invest in the character.

And I feel the same way about Jesus of Nazarene.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I assumed by "God" that you were talking of the generic god, even though you capitalized the word -- as is the custom among you grammar barbarians today. :D If I am mistaken, and you meant a specific god, then please correct me.

So far as I can see, there is slightly more evidence for the existence of god than for the existence of Santa Claus. Mystical experiences are part of the evidence. Not very conclusive evidence, in my book, but more than you have for Santa Claus.

As for the evidence for God in the Christian sense, I think that's also slightly more than the evidence for Santa Claus -- although less than the evidence for a generic god.

Rational Agnostic

I assumed by "God" that you were talking of the generic god, even though you capitalized the word -- as is the custom among you grammar barbarians today. :D If I am mistaken, and you meant a specific god, then please correct me.

So far as I can see, there is slightly more evidence for the existence of god than for the existence of Santa Claus. Mystical experiences are part of the evidence. Not very conclusive evidence, in my book, but more than you have for Santa Claus.

As for the evidence for God in the Christian sense, I think that's also slightly more than the evidence for Santa Claus -- although less than the evidence for a generic god.

What about mystical experiences of Santa Claus? https://www.americaninno.com/boston...aim-paranormal-santa-claus-sightings-as-fact/

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So, what do ya think? Also, please explain why you voted the way you did.
Figuratively or ?

Wasn't Santa Claus based off a real person Bishop Nicholas in Asia Minor during the 14th century?

Can't say the same for God though aside from being based off the imagination.

Both of course has had a "life" of their own
presented by imagination and creativity.

I suppose Santa would be more real than God in origin, yet neither as real as the other in terms of legend and mythology.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'd heavily discount those on such commonsense grounds as there is no Santa factory discovered at the North Pole, Santa would need to move faster than the speed of light to get to all the kids within 24 hours, which alone would make observation of him problematic, etc. etc. etc. Besides, those aren't mystical experiences. They are at best paranormal experiences -- and most likely not even that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I dont see them the same. One is a guy and the other a spirit. If we have records and a historical idea that santa claus or St. Nicholas, then he existed. The santa I know are my parents dressed in papa and mama santa clothes.

A god, on the other hand, is spirit. There is no documentation of god himself only what people thought he looked like, acted, and experienced. Nothing that says "god exist because we found X independent of peoples testimonies."

I mean, we have a good start with santa but god???

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I need a <bacon> option cuz none of those 3 is good fer me.
When probability is incalculable, I can't make a comparison.

Kfox

Not everybody worships the God of the Bible; some versions of God do exist. There are those who worship the Sun, Nature, even people as real as you and I. There are Rastafarians who deify Halle Selassie (former president of Ethiopia) Kumari of Nepal is worshipped by a sect of Hinduism, (Selassie died in the 1970’s but Kumari is alive still today) Just because somebody chooses to call “X” God, does not mean “X” does not exist! So I guess my response would be that it depends on which version of God you are referring to.

Santa cannot be proven historical and through relationships and speaking to people but to little kids. Every adult knows Santa doesnt exist. But the opposite is true when it comes to God. Every child believes there is a God through learning from adults. God is perceived as true from experienced people and people who are intelligent enough to debate and bring logical and relational evidence into supporting the existence of an all powerful and all knowing creator. Think about the solar system and its functions. There is no way a kid could come up with knowing its design, its function, etc.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Santa cannot be proven historical and through relationships and speaking to people but to little kids. Every adult knows Santa doesnt exist. But the opposite is true when it comes to God.
How so? Both premises are empirically unfounded.
Every child believes there is a God through learning from adults. God is perceived as true from experienced people and people who are intelligent enough to debate and bring logical and relational evidence into supporting the existence of an all powerful and all knowing creator.
And adults believe in God through learning from their parents and acquaintances. What is this "logical and relational evidence?"
Think about the solar system and its functions. There is no way a kid could come up with knowing its design, its function, etc.
Not following.