• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God said it, not me...

allfoak

Alchemist
You are going to hell because that is what God says happens to people like you.

Should Christians bear no responsibility for the awful things they say in the name of their vengeful God?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People who judge that a certain sin leads to

Should Christians bear no responsibility for the awful things they say in the name of their vengeful God?
Should or shouldn't, I think they will bear the responsibility for what they say. We all will, imo.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is somewhat simplistic, but I think Christianity can be sometimes be usefully looked at as divided between those Christians who focus on the loving aspects of the Christian God, and those Christians who focus on the "hell and damnation" aspects of the same God.

The former seem to emphasize their God's love and mercy, and to encourage social responsibility towards others, especially the poor and less fortunate. The latter tend to emphasize their God's judgment and punishment, and tend to focus on personal salvation through faith in Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

The division between the two seems to be as much a matter of individual personality as it is anything else. Are you more motivated by love of God or fear of God? At least, that's my take on it. I'm probably all wrong once again.

allfoak

Alchemist
This is somewhat simplistic, but I think Christianity can be sometimes be usefully looked at as divided between those Christians who focus on the loving aspects of the Christian God, and those Christians who focus on the "hell and damnation" aspects of the same God.

The former seem to emphasize their God's love and mercy, and to encourage social responsibility towards others, especially the poor and less fortunate. The latter tend to emphasize their God's judgment and punishment, and tend to focus on personal salvation through faith in Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

The division between the two seems to be as much a matter of individual personality as it is anything else. Are you more motivated by love of God or fear of God? At least, that's my take on it. I'm probably all wrong once again.
I have found a lot of love until you cross their beliefs, then the fear kicks in and you are now in the other camp and not to be associated with.
Lives are ruined over this stuff.
Families torn apart and worse.
For some, it is like a bad love affair.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

First I believe words are meaningless. I only hold people responsible for actions but If you are going to hold Christians responsible for what there god says. You have to use the same standards with all religions. If you do that, I'd be fine with it.

allfoak

Alchemist
First I believe words are meaningless. I only hold people responsible for actions but If you are going to hold Christians responsible for what there god says. You have to use the same standards with all religions. If you do that, I'd be fine with it.
I would have to agree of course.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam teaches eternal hell for unbelievers too.

But these are their religions. The idea that a person will be in hell forever hurts no-one. They've explained to you why they think you are going to hell, that's what they believe, so let them alone.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But these are their religions. The idea that a person will be in hell forever hurts no-one. They've explained to you why they think you are going to hell, that's what they believe, so let them alone.
If a person tells you that you will go to hell for something and he or she unwittingly does the same thing for the reason he believes in hell for that sin, he will go to hell.

With what judgment you are judging, you will be judged.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If a person tells you that you will go to hell for something and he or she unwittingly does the same thing for the reason he believes in hell for that sin, he will go to hell.

With what judgment you are judging, you will be judged.
And?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No. Your point had little to do with my own.
I see. If you let someone alone who is headed for the fire of hell, can you call it love?

It is because you said, "leave them alone". I don't believe in leaving someone alone who I can see is in DANGER.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. If you let someone alone who is headed for the fire of hell, can you call it love?
What?

I meant leave the believers who believe you are going to hell alone. Their belief is hurting no-one.

allfoak

Alchemist

Sure if it were that simple.
They have a mandate to save my soul.
Through any means necessary.:)