• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God sacrificed to God?

Faust

If Jesus is God then,
Why would God, send God, to be sacrificed to God, in order to appease God, so that God would forgive man (Gods creation), for being imperfect?

linwood

Faust said:
If Jesus is God then,
Why would God, send God, to be sacrificed to God, in order to appease God, so that God would forgive man (Gods creation), for being imperfect?

I dunno but I just wanted to tell you I noticed that statement in your profile the other day and saved for future use.
With your ID attached as the source.

I like it.

cardero

Citizen Mod
If Jesus is God then,
Why would God, send God, to be sacrificed to God, in order to appease God, so that God would forgive man (Gods creation), for being imperfect?[
Doesn't make sense does it?

chuck010342

Faust said:
If Jesus is God then,

God the Father sent God the son to be sacrificed not to God but for mankind not to appease God but because people can have a loving relationship to god

Khale

Answer: To give us something to debate about.

Actually this has been one of those things about christianity that has confused me for some time. The conclusion that I finally came to was that God did it as more of a symbolic sacrifice than anything. It was him saying that he would sacrifice his own son to keep us safe.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Faust said:
If Jesus is God then,
Well because... *scratches head* ...because... *scratches head some more* ...because! Just because!

Faust

:bonk: C'mon guys think about this.
Why do humans sacrifice to a deity?
I have worked out an answer based on psychology and the reasons for sacrifice in religion but it is only my opinion. I really want to hear some other answers on this. It is the basis of the entire Christian philosophy.

Rex

Founder
I think God as each of those symbols is nothing more than a different personality of GOD, but he would be so powerful he can make each different part be different parts.

Like we can get mad and sad but we are still the same person. God would be able to be a son/ghost/and god but in 3 different places at one time.

It's almost like you have to think 4 dimensional when talking about God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Faust said:
I really want to hear some other answers on this.
The best I've seen was articulated by Jacob Neusner:

In the Halakhic context, the death penalty achieves atonement of sin, leading to the resurrection at the end of days. It is an act of mercy, atoning for the sin that otherwise traps the sinner/criminal in death. In the context of the Gospel narrative, with its stress on repentance at the end and atonement on the cross by a single unique man, representative of all of humanity, for the sins of all humanity, we deal with no juridical transaction at all. It is an eschatological realization of the resurrection of humanity through that of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. Read in light of Mishnah-tractate Sanhedrin and its Halakhic theology with its climax, "All Israel has a portion in the world to come," the passion narrative coheres, each component in its right proportion and position, all details fitting together.

The Mishnah interprets the death penalty as a medium of atonement in preparation for judgment leading to resurrection, just as the theology of the passion narratives has always maintained. For both the Mishnah and the Gospels, the death penalty is a means to an end. It does not mark the end but the beginning. The trial and crucifixion of Christ for Christianity, like the trial and execution of the Israelite criminal or sinner for Judaism, form necessary steps toward the redemption of humanity from death, as both religions have maintained, each in its own idiom.

Indeed, in the context of the law as articulated in the Mishnah, the details of the passion narratives take on acute meaning. All that requires translation is Christ for the criminal, and the passion narrative covers that ground in the context of the larger theology of atonement. A truly Christian film of the passion narratives begins with a prologue of suffering on the cross, giving way to a luminous, truly sublime vision of resurrection in all its glory. The climax comes not on Friday but on Sunday.

- see A Judaic Reading of the Passion Narratives for Mel Gibson to Consider

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
YOU AND I HAVE DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES, CHARACTERISTICS AND ATTRIBUTES.
THESE MANIFEST THEMSELVES DIFFERENTLY AROUND CERTAIN SITUATIONS , PEOPLE, AND THINGS.
WE SEND AND RECEIVE MESSAGES VIA OUR SENSES, MOUTH, BODY LANGUAGE, EYES, FEELINGS ,HANDS AND TOUCH AND MANY OTHER GESTURES ETC.

OUR MESSAGES ARE SENT, INTERPRETED, RECIEVED OR REJECTED BY OTHERS ACCORDING TO OUR ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE ,BUT MORE SO THE PARTICULAR ABILITY OF THE OTHER PERSON TO PICK UP AND RECEIVE THE MESSAGE.
MUCH LIKE A RADIO PICKS UP FREQUENCY WAVES.
IF THE RECEIVER IS DOWN OR OUT OF RANGE , NO RECEPTION
SUCH IS THE CASE WITH GOD, HE SPEAKS TO HIS CHILDREN , THAT IS THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED HIM BY FAITH, THRU HIS SPIRIT FIRST,
BUT YOU MUST HAVE HIS SPIRIT WITHIN YOU( BORN AGAIN) TO RECEIVE UNDERSTAND AND BELIEVE IN WHO HE IS ,WHY HE SENT HIS SON TO DIE, AND ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF GOD

YOU WOULD NOT BE PICKING, CHOOSING AND QUESTIONING THE THINGS HE SPEAKS OF

WE CAN NOT INTERPRET GOD, HIS SCRIPTURES, MORALS , HIS STANDARD OF ABSOLUTE TRUTH, PREACHERS ( who preach truth ), SPIRITUAL ISSUES REGARDING HEAVEN, HELL, ETC., ETC. WITH OUT SPIRITUAL REBIRTH THIS ONLY COMES BY STEPPING OUT IN FAITH AND CONFESSING JESUS AS LORD AND SAVIOR AND REPENTING OF YOUR SINS

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
I WILL MENTION ALSO THAT THE FATHER ,SON AND HOLY GHOST ARE MANIFESTATIONS OF HIS ATTRIBUTES AND EACH HAVE A CLEAR AND DISTINCT ROLE IN GOD'S PLAN OF SALVATION TOWARDS MAN

GOD IS (THEOS) THE FATHER DELEGATING SURPREMACY, AUTHORITY, SOVEREIGNTY, RULE AND REIGN
JESUS THE SON WAS SENT TO EARTH TO NOT ONLY SUFFER AND DIE AND ATONE FOR MAN'S SINS, BUT "TO DO THE WILL OF HIM WHOM SENT HIM ", HE IS THE DOOR THE GATE INWHICH WE MUST GO THRU TO ACCESS THE THRONE OF GOD THRU CHRIST BY HIS SPIRIT ONLY, OUR MEDIATOR
HE WAS ALSO IN CREATION ,
SPIRIT WAS SENT TO EACH BELIEVER( DEF. MEANS TO TRUST AND RELY) AS A DEPOSIT GAURANTEEING WHAT IS TO COME
HE IS OUR COMFORTER, GUIDE, TEACHER, INNER WITNESS, COUNCILLOR, ADVOCATE

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
JENSA, DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT FORM I SEND MY MESSAGE.
THIS TRULY IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW PEOPLE BECOME SO WRAPPED UP IN SENSELESS RHETORIC, LEADING TO CONTROVERSIES AND ARGUEMENTS WITH NO APPARENT OUTCOME, OTHER THEN TO BE HEARD
TO COMMENT ON SUCH TRIVIAL ISSUES IS OF NO VALUE TO THIS FORUM OR ME, THIS SAYS ALOT OF YOUR INTENTIONS AND OVERALL PURPOSE.
ARE YOUR INTENTIONS OR COMMENTS DIRECTED TO FIND TRUTH, PURPOSE ETC OR JUST A MEANS TO ARGUE ,DEBATE AND BECOME CONTROVERSIALLY OPINIONATED?

FOCUS ON THE ISSUE AND PRESENT QUESTIONS OF DEBATE !!!!!!

MAYBE YOU WILL FIND TRUTH!!
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR OPINION ON MY LAST COMMENTS ON GOD AND HIS PERSONALITIES
NOT MEANT TO BE OFFENSIVE, BUT I VALUE INTELLECTUAL AND PURPOSEFUL CONVERSATION IN HOPES TO UNDERSTAND OTHERS AND DISCUSS TRUTH

Faust

FOCUS ON THE ISSUE AND PRESENT QUESTIONS OF DEBATE !!!!!!
Roli,
I believe Jensa was only suggesting that your bold print seems to be a bit aggressive.
As far as focusing on the debate, I have noticed that a lot of thread replys seem to focus on repeating tired platitudes instead of offering actual debating points on the topic.
My own thoughts on this topic are as follows,
The actual reason for this particular sacrifice is to achieve the forgiveness of God so that man may join God in "His" realm (heaven).
Although God may exist in mans realm or presumably any realm he chooses, this is not true of man who in his or her present form can only exist in the realm of man.
Therefore for man to be admitted into the realm of God and the heavenly hosts man must undergo a transformation. To become "God like" if you will, which appears to be the goal of living according to "the word of God".This would require much more than the standard fare of sacrifices such as birds rams or even fatted calves which are used to inlist the favor of, inlist the aid of, or to appease a deity.It would seem to require the sacrifice of a God in order to achieve the transformation needed to bring man into that otherwise uninhabitablel plane.
I offer this only as my opinion pertaining to the topic of this thread and I do so in relation to human psychology. Others are free to interpret it from any other viewpoint they wish, or dismiss it as total bunk.

oisin3

The bible as we know it today,handed down through the centuries has been written and torn apart by many many religious thugs. Who can really say today that we have the Real Bible.

Pah

Uber all member
roli said:
JENSA, DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT FORM I SEND MY MESSAGE.
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR OPINION ON MY LAST COMMENTS ON GOD AND .......POSEFUL CONVERSATION IN HOPES TO UNDERSTAND OTHERS AND DISCUSS TRUTH

I have mentioned this practise of yours in another thread. Do not "shout".

-pah-

Ernestine

Jesus not God. Jehovah is God (Psalm 83:18), and Jesus the Son of God. Jehovah sent Jesus to earth as a ransom sacrifice for us--our salvation. "God loved the world so much that he gave his only begotten Son in order that those exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). While on earth, Jesus made known Jehovah's name. Jesus is Jehovah's firstborn in that he was directly created by Jehovah. While on earth he said "the father (Jehovah) is greater than I". It was Jehovah who resurrected Jesus to heavenly life after his death. There is no trinity--you will not find that word or idea in the Bible. There is Jehovah, the Universal Sovereign, head over his son Jesus and all other creation. Jehovah uses his holy spirit (his active force) to accomplish his purpose.

maggie2

But who says God really did all those things? Maybe God didn't send God's son to be sacrificed for God to appease God so that God would forgive man for being imperfect. Maybe God accepts humanities imperfections without any sacrifice. And maybe the whole concept of original sin is inaccurate. I can't conceive of a God who would make everyone sinful at birth. So the sacrifice, in my opinion, is unnecessary to start with.

huajiro

oisin3 said:
The bible as we know it today,handed down through the centuries has been written and torn apart by many many religious thugs. Who can really say today that we have the Real Bible.
I worked as a translator myself, there is so much room for a translator to be able to put things in their words....the Bible has been translated so many times, it is practically another book all together.