• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Phenomenon

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
from the abrahamic perspective; many believe god has no physical state, neither matter or energy. why?

in the tanakh, the book of genesis relates creation as a movement upon some liquid/plastic substance by god.

isn't that physical? matterial?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
from the abrahamic perspective; many believe god has no physical state, neither matter or energy. why?

in the tanakh, the book of genesis relates creation as a movement upon some liquid/plastic substance by god.

A physical form creates limitations... Birth, death, and limits the scope of ones action to a particular point on a physical plane.

It's not that spiritual beings cannot manifest physical, it's just often a needless limitation for them. Often this is explained in 'grossness' or 'fineness' of energy fields but it's simple enough to say that if you are a limitless spiritual being why would you want the limitations of something much lower on the food chain?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
A physical form creates limitations... Birth, death, and limits the scope of ones action to a particular point on a physical plane.

It's not that spiritual beings cannot manifest physical, it's just often a needless limitation for them. Often this is explained in 'grossness' or 'fineness' of energy fields but it's simple enough to say that if you are a limitless spiritual being why would you want the limitations of something much lower on the food chain?

so matter, or energy, has to have a fixed form?

PureX

Veteran Member

I think the real reason why is because they intuitively understood that "God" is an cognitive ideal, not a physical phenomena. God is a way of perceiving and understanding our experience of existential reality, it is not an existential reality unto itself. But that was the elders, and the scribes; the wisest and most spiritually inclined among them. Not the average adherents. So they had to present this God-ideal to their people in ways that could be grasped more simply, and less deeply. And yet still present them with a fundamental inexplicability that would keep them open to life-long exploration and contemplation. I think they did an amazing job of this, given that their texts are still with us, and still being used by millions, every day.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
from the abrahamic perspective; many believe god has no physical state, neither matter or energy.

This is the same from the Baha'i belief, but not necessarily from the Christian perspective.

Matter and Energy, and the Quantum World, are the foundation of our physical reality and a reflection of the attributes of God, but not God.

I do not consider citing ancient scripture, that reflects an ancient human view, is adequate to answer your questions.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is the same from the Baha'i belief, but not necessarily from the Christian perspective.

Matter and Energy, and the Quantum World, are the foundation of our physical reality and a reflection of the attributes of God, but not God.

I do not consider citing ancient scripture, that reflects an ancient human view, is adequate to answer your questions.
then such a god cannot be omnipresent, or omniscient.

PureX

Veteran Member
then such a god cannot be omnipresent, or omniscient.
In a way, "God" can, ... as a cognitive ideal.

From a human perspective, cognition is the "alpha and omega". Without it, there is no awareness. Not thought. No possibility. No question, and no answer. Existence would be absolutely and totally meaningless. So that in that context, if "God" is a cognitive paradigm (and it is) then that "God" is the "alpha and omega" of anyone that perceives and conceives of existence through that cognitive paradigm. To the "believer" (of that cognitive paradigm) God really is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This arrogant assertion and determination cannot be determined from the human perspective.

How does this determine whether God is omnipresent or omniscient?
determining that god is neither energy or matter dictates that god can't be omnipresent in all.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In a way, "God" can, ... as a cognitive ideal.

From a human perspective, cognition is the "alpha and omega". Without it, there is no awareness. Not thought. No possibility. No question, and no answer. Existence would be absolutely and totally meaningless. So that in that context, if "God" is a cognitive paradigm (and it is) then that "God" is the "alpha and omega" of anyone that perceives and conceives of existence through that cognitive paradigm. To the "believer" (of that cognitive paradigm) God really is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.
to have cognitive ideals require action, which comes from the verb "gno" to know

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

God, G_d, Allah SWT being the Creator of all things, can take what ever form he likes, to include a physical or female one. I just don' know why people miss that?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
determining that god is neither energy or matter dictates that god can't be omnipresent in all.

No, I did not basically state such things, and this is your creative imagination projecting your agenda on other people's beliefs.

The omnipotent and omnipresence of God is based on being the 'Source' of all physical Creation as a reflection of the attributes of God.

The Quantum World is an example where your logic fails miserably even in the material world. The Quantum world is basically the Quantum Nothing of the nature of our existence and energy and matter exist only as potential energy and matter.

You need to get off trying simply justify your agenda, quote me properly, and respond specifically to my posts.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, I did not basically state such things, and this is your creative imagination projecting your agenda on other people's beliefs.
you implied such with the statement that god isn't physical. how then does god create forms from a non-physical thing; which you've stated god isn't. does god create physical matter and then forms it into something?

The omnipotent and omnipresence of God is based on being the 'Source' of all physical Creation as a reflection of the attributes of God.

creation requires some kind of material to create from. where does that matter come from? apart from god? or some part of God?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
you implied such with the statement that god isn't physical. how then does god create forms from a non-physical thing; which you've stated god isn't. does god create physical matter and then forms it into something?

I do not need to imply. God is not physical. God is the 'Source' of our physical existence, and not a part of it.

creation requires some kind of material to create from. where does that matter come from? apart from god? or some part of God?

As before you are projecting human concepts of 'what is necessary' concerning the nature of God, and the relationship to Creation. Fallible humans cannot define the nature of God, any more than a flea can describe the solar system. The nature of God and Creation is described in the scripture of a religion or belief system, and not the arbitrary views of humans.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I do not need to imply. God is not physical. God is the 'Source' of our physical existence, and not a part of it.
god's existence implies some physical aspect. existence means to be as does the name

As before you are projecting human concepts of 'what is necessary' concerning the nature of God, and the relationship to Creation. Fallible humans cannot define the nature of God, any more than a flea can describe the solar system. The nature of God and Creation is described in the scripture of a religion or belief system, and not the arbitrary views of humans.
being uncreated doesn't equate to being non-physical

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because they aren't practicing a Biblical religion.
Because they aren't reading their Bibles
Because they are trying to use their own faulty logic

PureX

Veteran Member
to have cognitive ideals require action,
How so? An idea appears to require brain activity, but it could be that the brain activity is the result of the idea, not the cause. We don't know, because we don't know what caused the combination of forces that result in the brain activity.

Why not, Bible tells God is spirit. Spirit is like higher state of existence. It could maybe be compared to level of ideas. Ideas have basically no physical state, but they can be manifested in physical state.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24
He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

Maybe this could be compared also to team spirit. It is state that is in higher level of existence, but can influence in many people. Similarly, Biblical love is something that can be seen in actions of people.