• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Particle almost found

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Physicists are closer than ever to hunting down the elusive Higgs boson particle, the missing piece of the governing theory of the universe's tiniest building blocks.

Scientists at the world's largest particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland, announced today (Dec. 13) that they'd narrowed down the list of possible hiding spots for the Higgs, (also called the God particle) and even see some indications that they're hot on its trail.

"I think we are getting very close," said Vivek Sharma, a physicist at the University of California, San Diego, and the leader of the Higgs search at LHC's CMS experiment. "We may be getting the first tantalizing hints, but it's a whiff, it's a smell, it's not quite the whole thing."

Long-Sought 'God Particle' Cornered, Scientists Say - Yahoo! News

A

angellous_evangellous

In this case, isn't "close" just as far away as we've ever been?

A

angellous_evangellous

In any case, it seems that even when they do "find" the "God-particle," they will simply be quantifying and measuring what has been there all along. :shrug:

My thought is - who cares? They haven't found it, so it's not an issue.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I've been keeping up with this for awhile. I was hoping they had a little bit more to say today, that they were closer than they actually are.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I wish scientists would use a little more foresight when naming things. I also wish they would drop this habit of jumping the gun.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I wish scientists would use a little more foresight when naming things. I also wish they would drop this habit of jumping the gun.

The media seems to run with that.

And you should use some foresight and name your future daughter after me.