• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God or was it always there?

shawn001

The brains of Buddist monks were pet scanned at UCLA while doing meditation to see how meditation worked on the brain.

Is meditation the push-up for the brain? PhysOrg - July 14, 2011
Two years ago, researchers at UCLA found that specific regions in the brains of long-term meditators were larger and had more gray matter than the brains of individuals in a control group. This suggested that meditation may indeed be good for all of us since, alas, our brains shrink naturally with age.

How Meditation May Change the Brain New York Times - January 28, 2011
The researchers report that those who meditated for about 30 minutes a day for eight weeks had measurable changes in gray-matter density in parts of the brain associated with memory, sense of self, empathy and stress.

Brain Waves and Meditation Science Daily - March 31, 2010
Forget about crystals and candles, and about sitting and breathing in awkward ways. Meditation research explores how the brain works when we refrain from concentration, rumination and intentional thinking. Electrical brain waves suggest that mental activity during meditation is wakeful and relaxed.

Meditation increases brain gray matter PhysOrg - May 13, 2009
Push-ups, crunches, gyms, personal trainers -- people have many strategies for building bigger muscles and stronger bones. But what can one do to build a bigger brain? Meditate.
Meditation found to increase brain size PhysOrg - January 31, 2006
People who meditate grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with attention and processing sensory input.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Tathagata

Freethinker
What I was just asking...

So what if Steve Jobs is a Buddhist, BTW, it means nothing about meditation. Wiccan magick is also pretty famous for doing spells, does it mean it works?

Not my argument. In fact I argue the opposite. I don't believe popularity validates anything. I was simply correcting the notion that Buddhist meditation is unpopular.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Then what did you mean by this?

Show me where in that statement did I say "God is energy." I said no such thing. I simply retorted to the OP that if he believes energy can't be created, why does he believe there must be a creator who created the uncreatable energy?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Show me where in that statement did I say "God is energy." I said no such thing. I simply retorted to the OP that if he believes energy can't be created, why does he believe there must be a creator who created the uncreatable energy?

Ah, sorry, misinterpreted your post :D