• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God never called the bad angel: Satan, Devil or Beelzebub. So ?

t3gah

Since the words in the Christian bible say that the chief enemy angel of the Christian God is a devil and a satan and the people back then called it beelzebub which are not names the Christian God gave that disobedient angel, why do many people of this time period and past time periods all think this angels name is "satan the devil"?

I'm referencing the book of Revelation, where the angel that battled with Michael was called "both devil and satan and was hurled down to earth with his cohort evil angels (demons)" and the book of John, where the apostle Peter is called "satan" by Jesus himself when the apostle Peter states that Jesus' fate will not be what Jesus just told them and the book of Matthew, where a pharisee acuses Jesus of expelling demons by means of Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.

With all of that said, why and how do so many Christian's think that the first angel that disobeyed God is called either: Satan or Devil or Beelzebub?

chlotilde

Madame Curie
t3gah said:
With all of that said, why and how do so many Christian's think that the first angel that disobeyed God is called either: Satan or Devil or Beelzebub?
I can tell you a little of the how, but I don't know if I can tell a why (why do people today change the meaning of words)

Satan is a Hebrew word meaning adversary, or one who plots against. I think the first recorded use of the word for the bad angel was in "Paradise Lost". I imagine the association had to do with the bad angel being the biggest adversary to God. Beezlebub was actually one of the minions in Milton's book, but is also the Hebrew word for the false God mentioned in Kings.

Devil is from the Old English word Deofol, which was derived from the Greek diabolus which meant a slanderer ...from dia meaning across, and ballein meaning throw. I'd assume the word association came from the fact that one who throws things across your way, obstructs you and becomes an obstacle (and an adversary).

And for another...The first written use of the word Lucifer (meaning Light-bearer in Latin) was in the KJV when naming the fallen King of Babylon in Isaiah. Some Christians associated Lucifer (the King's fall) with the name Satan (the bad angel) because the King is mentioned as having fallen from Heaven.

may

who is it that rebelled against Jehovah God, who is it that is a slanderer and tells lies ,? i think we all know the answer to that question ,its non other than satan the devil himself. satan is the name that was given to the rebellious angel that thought he was better than God, satan the name means( resister) and he sure is a resister , he does every thing in his power to resist Jehovahs purpose for the earth ,and the name devil means slanderer

According to this, the Devil, a name meaning "slanderer," was "a liar and the father of the lie." He was the first creature to lie about God, and he did so back in the garden of Eden. Jehovah had said that our original parents would "positively die" if they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. Through the mouth of a serpent, Satan said that those words were not true. (Genesis 2:17; 3:4) Appropriately, he is called "the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan."—Revelation 12:9:(