• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God loves you

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
God loves you. How do i know that?

I know God loves us because we are the creations of God. All humans and animals is children of God.
So i do not need religious books to know that God loves us

But God¨s love is also in religious books

1 John 4:7-8
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Psalm 136:26
26 Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.

Psalm 86:15
you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

Jeremiah 31:3, The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.

Psalm 136:1-3 Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love is eternal. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love is eternal. Give thanks to the Lord of lords. His love is eternal.

Isaiah 54:8, In a burst of anger I turned my face away for a little while. But with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the LORD, your Redeemer.

God is Al-Wadud (الودود) The Loving One. It is one of the 99 names of God in the Quran

And ask forgiverness of your lord and turn unto him in repentance. verily , my lord is most merciful, most loving (Quran 11:90)

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

Jeremiah 31:3, The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.

Psalm 136:1-3 Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love is eternal. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love is eternal. Give thanks to the Lord of lords. His love is eternal.

Isaiah 54:8, In a burst of anger I turned my face away for a little while. But with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the LORD, your Redeemer.

God is Al-Wadud (الودود) The Loving One. It is one of the 99 names of God in the Quran

And ask forgiverness of your lord and turn unto him in repentance. verily , my lord is most merciful, most loving (Quran 11:90)

Umm...

You've read it in some book. :shrug:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Bid deal. Everyone loves me.

Ciao

- viole

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Parts of God love me ... and I reciprocate it. To say blindly however that God is love and end it like that is a little silly.

Edit: It doesn't matter at all how much God loves you if you don't reciprocate that love.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I also know God loves us because we are the creations of God. All humans and animals is children of God.

I remember creating some pottery in the 3rd or 4th grade. It turned out pretty ugly. It ended up in the trash.
Sure you can hope a creator loves his creation but there is no guarantee of that.

Most will point out the violence and suffering God lets us face. If I loved my creation, I'd certainly protect them from that.
You can believe otherwise, fine, but it doesn't change the fact of the reality we live in. Deal with every day.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I know God loves us because we are the creations of God. All humans and animals is children of God.

As a survivor of childhood abuse, I beg to differ. Where was this "God of love" when my adopted mother was beating the crap out of me and psychologically abusing me, or when I was being sexually abused, or when I was being bullied in school? As a child, I frantically prayed to God over and over again, asking him to protect me from my mother and older brother, but God never did protect me. I suffered abuse (physically, psychologically, and sexually) for 13 1/2 years while growing up, and I endured bullying for the 12 years I was in school. As far as I'm concerned, God is no different than my extended family, my neighbors, my teachers in school, and the other people in town who knew I was being abused at home and bullied in school. All of these people knew what I was suffering, but none of them ever lifted a finger to rescue me from the abuse. And neither did God. I guess I wasn't worth the trouble to him, or to the people who knew I was being abused. This "loving God," and all these people, turned a blind eye and left me alone in an abusive home for 13 1/2 years. I found the courage to save myself. So, I'm not falling for the "God loves you" crap because I know better.

"God won't impede man's freewill." I've heard this excuse time and time again from devout Christians, who feebly attempt to defend God's abhorrent cruelty and apathy towards immeasurable human suffering. I think this excuse is a total cop-out. It's a shameful cop-out to defend God knowing about the inhumane atrocities that he either ordered himself or he allowed to happen and did nothing to intervene. If I witnessed another person being physically attacked, I wouldn't turn a blind eye and think, "I'm not going to try and save this person from being physically attacked (beaten up, raped, or killed) because I don't want to impede on their attacker's freewill!" If I knew of a child being abused, I wouldn't think, "I'm not going to try and save this poor child from being abused because I don't want to impede on their abuser's freewill!" What kind of person would I be if I turned my back and refused to help someone I saw being physically attacked or if I turned a blind eye to a child being abused? What kind of person would I be if I refused to do whatever I could to save another person I saw in need of help? The answer is clear: I would be heartless and cruel if I turned my back and refused to help someone I saw who was in need. So, what excuse does a loving God have for allowing all the violence and suffering in the world?

Last edited:

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
"God doesn't love you"

Evil is caused by entropy; entropy is necessary; by loving God you are reciprocating its entropy, thereby creating extropy. Extropy is how humans show they love each other and God. And many bad things happen because they didn't show the generosity placed by your own divinity. Life isn't fair but we use our ability of extropy to make it better regardless. I would even argue that God doesn't love you, but certain aspects of its creation does.

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
I remember creating some pottery in the 3rd or 4th grade. It turned out pretty ugly. It ended up in the trash.
Sure you can hope a creator loves his creation but there is no guarantee of that.

Most will point out the violence and suffering God lets us face. If I loved my creation, I'd certainly protect them from that.
You can believe otherwise, fine, but it doesn't change the fact of the reality we live in. Deal with every day.
Name dropping: '4th grade'. Bragging is not very friendly!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also know God loves us because we are the creations of God. All humans and animals is children of God.
Why does being the creation of something mean your creator loves you? This conclusion doesn't follow.

How do you know we are creations of God? Until you can justify this conclusion, it doesn't hold water, either.

How do you know God even exists?

Your whole argument is based on unfounded assumptions

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

With all due respect, I see no reason to believe that God loves us, except for what is written in scriptures. Please do not take this as the Baha'i Faith position because it's not. My best friend @Truthseeker is always trying to convince me that God loves me and I should love God, but so far he has not convinced me. I tend more towards logic and reason that believing on faith. I mean how could anyone ever know that God loves them, other than what is recorded in scriptures? Is that enough? When we look around and see so much suffering why do people still believe that God is loving?

I think that believers want to believe that and that is the main reason they believe it. Look around in this world. What is the evidence that indicates God loves anyone? But more importantly, why would a 'loving God' create a world in which He knew there would be so much suffering. This suffering is not all caused by human free will choices, much of it is just happenstance, bad luck, fate, and if God is responsible for our fate as I believe He is, God is responsible for that suffering.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

What would you like to debate? Whether God loves us?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Of course I could be wrong but it seems to me that if God loved His creation He would not create a world that is a storehouse of suffering and then tell us to be detached from this world that we have to live in. No, it is not ignorance that binds man to this world, it is the fact that we were born into it.

O thou seeker of the Kingdom! Thy letter was received. Thou hast written of the severe calamity that hath befallen thee—the death of thy respected husband. That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions. Thus it is seen that some, under extreme pressure of anguish, have committed suicide.
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
I mean how could anyone ever know that God loves them, other than what is recorded in scriptures?
I have felt it as well as being said in scriptures. There are some who can know other than scriptures. It hasn't been that obvious usually, but there have been instances where it came through strongly, though not many. It doesn't prove it to you, of course. You have your own experience.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a I don't lie to myself a human by others Human preachings.

I say I am historically by baby to human adult memory inheritance loved implicitly by father and mother.

Memory of whom are heavenly recorded voice and image in the state a gods heaven.

Not a God.
Never was a God.
We're always just humans.

Another reason animals love and protect me also.

You have to be a being first which is biology to love.

All biological beings die physically body type owned personally as death. Another reason I know.

As I'm logically only ever from a babies consciousness it's another reason humans my parents loved us.

If I talk theory it's only a theory hence its not actual to the terms of how I personally exist making all claims. Physical biology.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It's My Birthday!
I know from scripture from Someone I trust, and also from experiencing it strongly on a few occasions.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a human living biologically without our first human father's presence.

I know my brother is also aware of father's memories as his body and brain no longer owns original father's life. As just a human only.

The exact reason why.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God loves you. How do i know that? I know God loves us because we are the creations of God. All humans and animals are children of God. So I do not need religious books to know that God loves us. But God's love is also in religious books

And ask forgiveness of your lord and turn unto him in repentance. verily , my lord is most merciful, most loving (Quran 11:90)

I don't see evidence of any god or its love there, just words of praise.

Since you have quoted the Christian Bible so much, I'll direct my attention to that religion. I have a big problem with the Christian concept of love. I know what love is, and it's not what is attributed to this deity. Nor does it involve blood sacrifice. What is this deity doing to express its love for you?

Christians believe that life is a staging ground to see who will pass the audition and get to spend eternity praising this god. Imagine doing something like that yourself - say, having children just so they could continuously praise you. Their time in the womb is followed by an afterlife of praise in your home.

That's not love. It's not even close. Imagine telling them that they were born needing your forgiveness for being born, and that they needed to repent being human. That's not love either.

The relationship described is closer to an abusive partner than a loving god. Needing constant praise and making one feel guilty for being human is part of that, as are the severe anger and jealousy issues, allows bad things to happen to you to teach you a lesson, instills fear in you, claims credit for all of your successes and blames you for all the failures, threatens you with torture if you leave him, tells you how much you need him and are dependent on him, gives you credit for nothing, harps an how inadequate you are, and though he is often not there for you requires your unwavering devotion. It's basically, "Don't make me hurt you."

I'm reminded of a Carlin routine:
  • "Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time! But He loves you."
It doesn't matter at all how much God loves you if you don't reciprocate that love.

Setting aside the argument above for a moment, I'd say that it doesn't matter how much anything loves you if there is no manifestation of that love. Love spoken but not otherwise manifest is not love, and has no value to the object of that love.

And how does one love an entity that he has less interaction with than we here on RF have with one another? And how can that be called a personal relationship when there is no relationship at all? Do you love any of the posters here? Do you think any love you? Would you call it a personal relationship with somebody that has you on block and never answers you?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any God that will condemn you to an eternity of torture for minor crimes, disrespect, or unbelief is not what I'd consider a loving, just or merciful God.