1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Christianity in General DIR' started by metis, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,274
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    I couldn't agree more. :) I extracted myself from that rabble about 45 years ago. My God is as real to me as my own family members. He interacts in my life and always has. I don't see him in Christendom, (where I grew up) and never did....but I saw him in the Bible and he introduced himself to me when I was quite young....it was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

I believe it is God who searches for us as much as we search for him (if we do at all).
    At John 6:44 and 65 Jesus tells us that no one can come to the son without an invitation from the Father.
    If God has the capacity to "draw" certain people in whom he sees the right qualities and grant them understanding....then he is just as capable of 'repelling' those who don't meet his criteria. They just go on thinking that there is no God because he does not interact with them at all.

Without God, nothing makes sense in this world. I have studied his word for all of those 45 years and I am still learning. I feel for those who give up and 'throw the baby out with the filthy bathwater'. (Acts of the Apostles 17:24-27)

I do too. But perhaps those who worship a false god have more of a chance to change their minds than one who rejects God altogether....?? At least they may have a spiritual nature....something for God to work with? We will all know soon enough I guess.

Nice chatting with you....:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    I didn't throw the baby out, just the bathwater. Having not to deal with theology just forced me to put Christ and his work directly in the center, exactly where I want him to be. I am spiritual but I am not like some "having a form of religion but denying the power thereof" the message of Christ is more powerful for me now, I cannot deny its power like some do who call out Christ's name everyday but do not demonstrate his works and his message in their life. I have a long way to go, but I will get there.

Nice chatting with you too.

3. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,164
    Religion:
    Christian
    So...Jesus exists, but not God?

Did I miss something?

@metis , to answer your question, God.

4. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    You don't believe that Jesus existed?

5. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh, yes. 'Sent by God'.

6. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    Define God and let me see if you don't fall into idolatry

7. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Could you please just answer my question first?

8. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,274
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    If you can accept Jesus Christ but not his Father whom he represented here on earth, then from my point of view you have 'thrown the baby out with the bathwater'. Jesus is a creation of his Father (Revelation 3:14; Colossians 1:15-17)....as I see it, without God there would be no Jesus.

That is interesting.....but the question I would ask now is....is this where Christ wants to be?
    When he said to the devil in Luke 4:8...."It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service."....do you think he demonstrated that he wanted to be in the center? Sounds like he wanted his Father to be in the center.
    He also said in John 17:3....."This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." Again, Jesus put his father first and himself second.

I fully agree with this too. But eliminating false Christianity doesn't mean eliminating God. I find it hard to imagine a believer in Christ who claims to be an atheist.....the two positions are in complete opposition IMO.

I left Christendom all those years ago, but found a body of Christians who didn't do any of that. Truth is...they found me. These ones, though not any more perfect than Jesus' own apostles, actually practice what they preach. Putting God first, they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ whilst being careful not to 'have a form of religion but deny the power' of it. The power of a true religion is shown in its obedience to Christ's teachings...all of them, not just the convenient ones. It is shown also in the peace and love enjoyed by this global brotherhood. (John 13:34-35)

If you know of Jesus' parables, then you will understand what the 'wheat and the weeds' were all about. (Matthew 13:24-30) Jesus foretold that a counterfeit form of Christianity would be sown in the world by God's adversary. He identified the characters in his parable. (Matthew 13:36-43) So its no wonder that we have so many fragmented sects in Christendom...all teaching different things. Yet none of them teach the truth, which seem to be what we can both agree on...? And if that is the case, then we agree with Jesus on this issue too...?

• Like Like x 1
  9. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It does at first seem an odd question. But when I think about it, it is the Spirit that moves us, to prayer, action, and guide us on our faith journey. At the same time the Spirit is the Spirit of God who breathed life into being.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Religion:
    Catholic
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,285
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    After the priest asked the question, my first impulse was to say Jesus as being the one I can relate to the most. But after thinking about it as the mass continued, I switched to the Holy Spirit, and I did so because it was the HS at work with me that led me back to conversion in the Church-- a long and somewhat painful process that took almost three years. And now I am the most content that I have ever been over my 74 years even though I have always been an upbeat kinda person, and it has pushed me towards more commitment and service.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    Deeje and I had a who conversation about it in this thread

13. Tony Bristow-Stagg

Tony Bristow-Stagg Ocean Immersion
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,094
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    The key now is to see the Holy Spirit as the rays from the Sun, embrace the Light no matter who it shines upon and no matter where it is reflected from.

All Good is from God, all evil from our own selves.

Regards Tony

14. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ok, I'll just follow your conversation