• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is the boundary of the garden

dfnj

For over 300 years now science has been dispelling silly superstitions as nonsense. This has taken its toll with regards to the popularity of religion and belief in God. It's not that big of an interpolation to just assume the existence of God is just another silly superstition.

However, I will try to prove to you God exists. I know I have tried several times before but I will again try to prove to you that God exist. This time with a few new wrinkles to my argument.

God is just a word. What the word God means is defined by every sentence it has ever been used in. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. The word God exists right here in this sentence. This paragraph is your evidence for the existence of God.

It is useful to categorize the different types of sentences people use the word God in as way of defining what the word God means. One of the more interesting categories I find people using the word God is the idea God is the alpha and the omega. God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.

I'd like to put a new wrinkle on this alpha-omega idea and state God is a word that means everything that has ever happened along with every possible possibility realized in the future. God is the alpha and omega of thought. No other word represents the sum of all the meanings of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible. God represents every possible thought that has occurred, can occur, and will ever occur. God also represents the idea of everything beyond our comprehension as well.

So there you have it. God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence. You have transcendence and immanence of language semantics. God is the source of all our thoughts (immanence-alpha). And at the same time God is everything outside of our thoughts (transcendence-omega).

God is an envelop of meaning wrapped around our minds. Ideas sprout and grow like plants in our minds. God is the seed and the boundary of the garden. God is the physical boundary between our minds and reality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sort of reminds me of archetypes and collective consciousnesses. It still requires proof that relies on more than trying to hammer it out of a word (as our words exist only to humans, often restricted to our specific culture and language).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For over 300 years now science has been dispelling silly superstitions as nonsense. This has taken its toll with regards to the popularity of religion and belief in God. It's not that big of an interpolation to just assume the existence of God is just another silly superstition.

However, I will try to prove to you God exists. I know I have tried several times before but I will again try to prove to you that God exist. This time with a few new wrinkles to my argument.

God is just a word. What the word God means is defined by every sentence it has ever been used in. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. The word God exists right here in this sentence. This paragraph is your evidence for the existence of God.

It is useful to categorize the different types of sentences people use the word God in as way of defining what the word God means. One of the more interesting categories I find people using the word God is the idea God is the alpha and the omega. God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.

I'd like to put a new wrinkle on this alpha-omega idea and state God is a word that means everything that has ever happened along with every possible possibility realized in the future. God is the alpha and omega of thought. No other word represents the sum of all the meanings of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible. God represents every possible thought that has occurred, can occur, and will ever occur. God also represents the idea of everything beyond our comprehension as well.

So there you have it. God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence. You have transcendence and immanence of language semantics. God is the source of all our thoughts (immanence-alpha). And at the same time God is everything outside of our thoughts (transcendence-omega).

God is an envelop of meaning wrapped around our minds. Ideas sprout and grow like plants in our minds. God is the seed and the boundary of the garden. God is the physical boundary between our minds and reality.

Sure, I've always thought that God can be defined into or out of existence.

For example my God is this 5 pound brick I carry around. You don't believe my God exists? How about I take my God and knock you upside your head with my God.

Do you believe my God exists now?
If not, I could always knock you upside the head a few more times until the message gets through. :D

source.gif

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You've successfully argued the existence of "god" -- as a concept. It's all in our heads.
Now if you could establish him as an objective, existential reality, then you'd have something.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You've successfully argued the existence of "god" -- as a concept. It's all in our heads.
Now if you could establish him as an objective, existential reality, then you'd have something.

That would most likely unfold in mind, only when one accepts one, or all of God's Messengers in this matrix.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see all we could know of God will be seen in God's Messengers and I see our spirit/soul/mind needs to find and connect to that greater mind.

That mind is our higher thoughts we are our lower thoughts.

Regards Tony

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If all that can be known about God is through his messengers we're in big trouble -- there are so many of them, with new ones hospitalized every day.
Now if they were all in agreement and presenting the same god, that would be something, but no...

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If all that can be known about God is through his messengers we're in big trouble -- there are so many of them, with new ones hospitalized every day.
Now if they were all in agreement and presenting the same god, that would be something, but no...

That is your choice to see It in that manner.

I see there are other sound and logical ways we can use our reasoning to determine this matter.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Milton Platt

If god is just a word, then that means that there is no actual god. You have destroyed any argument for a god. Good job.
The meaning of a word is defined by it's current usage, by the way, and can change with where the word is used.
I don't see the god as representing every thought that has occurred. If I thought of clipping my toenails tonight, how does that associate with the word "god"?
And again, if god is only a representation of thoughts, then an actual god does not exist.

amorphous_constellation

For over 300 years now science has been dispelling silly superstitions as nonsense.

I'd say it has been chasing something that keeps getting more complicated, leaving many things unexplained, and explaining other things in a way such as to prove a metaphysical force. With the science, the plot only thickens.

God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.

It could be

That's moving toward a sort of pantheistic, possibly deterministic version of the concept. That isn't exactly how I like to think of it, but I think the way you describe is valid, if that's what it takes for people to believe in something. I like to think of it as being in the connective energy of the universe, and things have a choice to work with it. I think maybe all religions have a higher purpose that they are unaware of, and that is to reflect their colors off of its prism surface of possibility. All religions are the parts of its engine, of its body, and they all work for a greater mind. Science also reveals to us a world of connection, right down from algae all the way up to the stars. What could ties it all together? Surely a mind flows through all of it, all of this energy being expended has a mind-driven goal. There is a teleology that runs from the energy expended commonly in everything, from the energy expended as a flock of flamingos takes flight to the bursting of stars

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd say it has been chasing something that keeps getting more complicated, leaving many things unexplained, and explaining other things in a way such as to prove a metaphysical force. With the science, the plot only thickens.
Intriguing... Tell me more abut this "metaphysical Force."

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

I am a believer myself but I'm honestly not sure how good your proof is.

I sounded like you used fiat ( " because I said so") argument to declare this proved. I can't say I like this from atheists, and it doesn't really work as a theist proof.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You know, God spelled backwards is Dog.

Woof!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Firstly, it's not really a silly superstition, and many who are not religious or don't believe in such would not see it as being this. Secondly, I think we could meaningfully replace God with the Divine or something similar, that is, the envelope that encompasses all such beliefs.

All you have done here is talk about a label, which then people can discuss, having some commonality but not always. See later.

Here, you have just essentially defined existence (now and in the past and in the future) and called it God - and thereby nothing has been gained by doing so. We already have a useful word for this - existence - even if it has other meanings too. Everything happens within existence - even any God concepts. Whether humans can comprehend something or not is immaterial.

Envelope is a word I would use too, as mentioned above, but only for concepts which it could enclose. It doesn't thereby give meaning to anything (or existence other than in the label context), just as my defining pobblewash (copyrighted) as being anything does. Bringing something into existence by defining it does nothing for what it supposedly encloses - that is, it is empty until one can prove that the enclosed item or concept exists. The existence of the label means nothing. And the fact that everyone will now be discussing pobblewash (and what it might be) says nothing about the validity of what this label might enclose. The same could be said for almost any made up word or concept. Imho.

PS Pobblewash - don't ever go near one! :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And perhaps I should have used 'existence plus' or 'existence with benefits' rather than just 'existence', with the supposed entity (God, gods, whatever) having speculative attributes to fill in all the apparently missing bits of existence (or supposedly missing), and where we have no basis to assert any God (if existing) has to necessarily have the ultimate anything - omniscience, omnipresence, etc.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

However, I will try to prove to you God exists.
Why? What is your purpose in posting this? What do you expect us to do with your conclusion?

One of the more interesting categories I find people using the word God is the idea God is the alpha and the omega. God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.
That is a term used in relation to a specific god in a specific group of religions. It’s also somewhat fuzzy in its definition and application with the age-old question over how much it should be read literally or metaphorically.

I'd like to put a new wrinkle on this alpha-omega idea and state God is a word that means everything that has ever happened along with every possible possibility realized in the future.
That’s not a “wrinkle”. You’re essentially creating a new definition and picking a word to apply it to. You could have chosen literally any word or made up an entirely new one and carry the same meaning. Your definition of “God” here has absolutely no relation to any of idea or concept which may be labelled “God”. It also has absolutely no relation to any time anyone has asked the question “Does God exist?” because nobody else is using the definition you’ve just created.

No other word represents the sum of all the meanings of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible.
”Everything”. :cool:

God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence.
This sentence is not prove that “of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible” exists though. I’d argue that you can’t even prove the thing you’re describing actually exists because we’d be inside it by definition.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

You mean, evidence for the existance of the word or the idea of God, off course.

So there you have it. God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence

Congrats, you just "defined" a concept and pretended it reflects a real thing.

If this is your idea of "proof", you have VERY low standards of evidence.

You have transcendence and immanence of language semantics. God is the source of all our thoughts (immanence-alpha).

It is one thing to define god that way.
You haven't actually proven anything. All you did was assert a definition.
Now, you still have all your work ahead of you to demonstrate that this definition is accurate and/or reflective of reality.

You do realise that it's perfectly possible to define non-existant things, right?
Coming up with a definition for some thing, doesn't mean that that thing also exists in reality.

Every fictional character even conceived, has received a definition as part of its conception.

And at the same time God is everything outside of our thoughts (transcendence-omega).

The only thing you've shown so far is that "god" is a word that people use and a concept / idea at best.
You haven't even BEGUN to even ony ATTEMPT at demonstrating that the thing that this word / definition / idea / concept describes, is actually also real.