• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is only one

Sheldon

Veteran Member
God is only one. God wants us to only worship him because it was God who created us. This i believe.

Do you agree or disagree?
I don't have enough information as all you have offered is a bare claim, so I'm afraid I must disbelieve it.

However perhaps you can offer something beyond unevidenced assertions?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
God is fully self-sufficient and fully self-sustaining so God does not NEED anything from humans.

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166

God WANTS humans to worship Him for our own benefit, not for God’s benefit. God needs nothing from humans.

“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.” Gleanings, p. 260
I disagree. I believe God wants to have a relationship with us. God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit. We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.
God wants us to thank him for the blessings we have in this life. To thank God and love God is worship. Because he is the one who created us. A human Father and mother also wants their children to thank them for gifts, a good meal or clothes they buy to their children

Last edited:

Starlight

So your God wants worship because it's good for some believers (because it makes them feel connected to God somehow). That seems like a weak reason.
I believe God wants to have a relationship with us. God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit. We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.
God wants us to thank him for the blessings we have in this life. To thank God and love God is worship. Because he is the one who created us. A human Father and mother also wants their children to thank them for gifts, a good meal or clothes they buy to their children

Starlight

Excellent point.

I’ve often been curious how people define “worship”
I believe God wants to have a relationship with us. God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit. We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.

Starlight

What facts support your decision and opinion that this particular God exists, and not some other god or gods, if any at all?
All religions try to understand and describe the higher power/spirit/god who is the creator of the universe/universes. But different religions describe the higher power in different ways.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
All religions try to understand and describe the higher power/spirit/god who is the creator of the universe/universes. But different religions describe the higher power in different ways.

And of course its your religion who describes the higher power as the right higher power and all other descriptions leave something to be desired. Funny they all say that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Good question. Common sense. And reason. And what is common sense and reason about what God wants? That you Are kind and loving to humans and animals. That you thank God for the blessings you have in this life. And to have a relationship with God. A mother and Father wants a relationship with their child, in the same way God wants a relationship with us. We Are his creations.

Wrong, common sense and reason are whst you want and because it feels right you say this is what god wants.

And you are guessing re a relationship with a god. If that were true he/she/it would have made it clear that he/she/it actually wants.

And i woukd like to see falsifiable evidence that we are creations of your god

F1fan

Veteran Member
All religions try to understand and describe the higher power/spirit/god who is the creator of the universe/universes.
Of the 5000 or so gods in human lore only about 200 of them are creator gods.

What most ancient people were trying to do was explain how the universe functions, yet did so without any knowledge or facts. The lore they created is not factual.

But different religions describe the higher power in different ways.
Which only points to how these gods are inventions of imagination and not descriptions of reality.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I disagree. I believe God wants to have a relationship with us.
So since belief is a judgment we fallible mortals make, and belief offers us no certainty, is it possible you are mistaken in what you believe?

God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit. We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.
Who told you all these ideas are true?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To know what God wants you have to use common sense and reason. God did create us with reason. God wants us to use it. And what is common sense and reason about what God wants? That you Are kind and loving to humans and animals. That you thank God for the blessings you have in this life. And to have a relationship with God. A mother and Father wants a relationship with their child, in the same way God wants a relationship with us. We Are his creations.

Yeah, I didn't really have a relationship with my mother or father. Hard to have a relationship when the parents are absent.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To worship God is to thank God for the blessings you have in this life. And to have a relationship with God. A mother and Father wants a relationship with their child, in the same way God wants a relationship with us. We Are his creations. So to worship God is to thank God and have a relationship with him

When human Father and mother is kind to you, that they hive you gifts, cook dinner to you and help you then you give thanks to them. In the same way give thanks to God.

Sorry, never met my father and my mother barely tolerated me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I disagree. I believe God wants to have a relationship with us. God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit.
I do not believe that way because I am not a Christian. I believe that we can only relate to God through His Messengers/Manifestations, never directly. I believe that we can pray to God directly but that is the only direct communication we can have to God. I do not believe that God derives any benefit from our worship because God needs no benefits so God needs nothing from humans. God only wants us to worship Him for our own benefit.

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166

“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.” Gleanings, p. 260
We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.
Those are Christian beliefs, not Baha'i beliefs. Baha'is do not believe that God wants our love for Himself, but rather God wants us to love Him so His love can reach us.

5: O SON OF BEING! Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4
I believe that God wants us to be thankful to Him because it benefits us, not because God needs our thankfulness.

I do not believe that humans are God's children because God has no children since God is not a human being. To equate a human father and mother to God is the fallacy of false equivalency because God is in no way equivalent to a human being.

While the Baháʼí writings teach of a personal god who is a being with a personality (including the capacity to reason and to feel love), they clearly state that this does not imply a human or physical form.[2] Shoghi Effendi writes:

What is meant by personal God is a God Who is conscious of His creation, Who has a Mind, a Will, a Purpose, and not, as many scientists and materialists believe, an unconscious and determined force operating in the universe. Such conception of the Divine Being, as the Supreme and ever present Reality in the world, is not anthropomorphic, for it transcends all human limitations and forms, and does by no means attempt to define the essence of Divinity which is obviously beyond any human comprehension. To say that God is a personal Reality does not mean that He has a physical form, or does in any way resemble a human being. To entertain such belief would be sheer blasphemy.[15][16]

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I do not believe that humans are God's children because God has no children since God is not a human being. To equate a human father and mother to God is the fallacy of false equivalency because God is in no way equivalent to a human being.
In a sense we are God's children in my opinion because He created the universe and though the processes of the universe we came into being. In a spiritual sense this is true also because in us are God's attributes. Remember this Hidden Word:

O Son of Man! I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.
Bahá’u’lláh, "The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh", a4

PruePhillip

Thank You. it is Mary, the mother of Jesus. I do not know who painted the picture.

Looked it up
SASSOFERRATO, THE VIRGIN IN PRAYER, C. 1654.

Mary here is portrayed as beautiful, European and wealthy.
The bible suggests none of this true. And most likely she
died as a little old Jewish grandmother, not as a ravishing
youthful virgin. We know Jesus wasn't a handsome man,
this suggests his parents weren't good looking either.

But sure, a lovely painting. Hauntingly beautiful actually.

Jeremiah Ames

I disagree. I believe God wants to have a relationship with us. God do not need it, but he wants it. God wants us to worship him for his and ours benefit. We Are the creations of God. God wants our love. Just like a human Father and mother wants their child to love them.
Does it seem logical that an infinitely powerful, all knowing entity, REQUIRES love and attention?
Might there be something else going on?

Jeremiah Ames

What IF all religions are wrong?
What proof do you have that ANY religion, even one, is correct?

Is it not likely that they are all wrong, since every religion is the creation of individual people? More precisely, individual men.