• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is One

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
God is One, what does that mean in practical terms?

Does that mean everything is God. I'm God, you're God, the cat walking down the street is God?

Or is there some technical nuance I'm supposed to understand, like the cat is God but at the same time not God?

There's this idea of omnipresence. Does this mean that God God exists fully in the being of the cat or is the material body of the cat not God and God exists within the cat as some immaterial aspect?

When I was trying to figure this idea out, I thought maybe, since God exist outside of time, that perhaps God takes turns, experiencing existing as each conscious entity in the universe just experiencing the separate existence of everything that exists at that moment. Like an actor playing two different fictional characters separately but though the magic of movie making both characters appear on the screen at the same time.

When you say God is One, what do you mean by this?

Last edited:

Lunarious

In Buddhism you say in the heart sutra Form is emptiness and emptiness is form. I've just read in Taoism everything is cogenital (before the big bang) or acquired (separation of big bang and movement), the point of this practise achieving transendence by 'returning' to the cogenital. Taoists don't know why the movement appeared of the big bang, but something, that is Allah. Aristotele calls him the first mover. Strange things happen however which increases my faith in God, maybe the silence can speak, but choses not to?

Peace

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Does that mean everything is God. I'm God, you're God, the cat walking down the street is God?

Or is there some technical nuance I'm supposed to understand, like the cat is God but at the same time not God?

There's this idea of omnipresence. Does this mean that God God exists fully in the being of the cat or is the material body of the cat not God and God exists within the cat as some immaterial aspect?

When I was trying to figure this idea out, I thought maybe, since God exist outside of time, that perhaps God takes turns, experiencing existing as each conscious entity in the universe just experiencing the separate existence of everything that exists at that moment. Like an actor playing two different fictional characters separately but though the magic of movie making both characters appear on the screen at the same time.

God is God the Source some call God(s), and unknowable except the attributes of God in Creation and Revelation, God does not exist in the images and divisions Created by human desire to know God,

Phantasman

Jesus never implied it. Many take one part out of Galatians.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

It is Paul explaining the Law from many rather than one.

Lunarious

Jesus never implied it. Many take one part out of Galatians.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

It is Paul explaining the Law from many rather than one.
I like 21. Where is this from? Can you give me a link?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
God is God the Source some call God(s), and unknowable except the attributes of God in Creation and Revelation, God does not exist in the images and divisions Created by human desire to know God,

God, the Creator of the universe, is all-knowing, all-loving and all-merciful. Just as the physical sun shines on the whole world, so the light of God is shed upon all Creation. “As the sun ripens the fruits of the earth, and gives life and warmth to all living beings, so shines the Sun of Truth on all souls, filling them with the fire of Divine love and understanding.‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Paris Talks

It is impossible for any mortal mind to truly understand the reality of God. Whatever is created can never comprehend or describe its creator. A table, for example, is incapable of understanding the craftsman who made it, even though his skills and attributes may be reflected in his creation.

However broad or imaginative our concept of God may be, it will always necessarily be circumscribed by the limitations of the human mind. “That which we imagine, is not the Reality of God; He, the Unknowable, the Unthinkable, is far beyond the highest conception of man.” ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Paris Talks

Phantasman

I like 21. Where is this from? Can you give me a link?
Galatians chapter 3 by Paul. The book of Galatians is describing the false gospel (Galatians 1) give to Pauls church in Galatia proposing to include Jewish beliefs (OT) into the Gospel. The reason he speaks against circumcision, the Law, diets, etc. that the emerging catholic (small c) religion was teaching.

Jeremiah Ames

I have no idea.

But I think that God is in everything. Every cell, every molecule, every atom, every physical object. So, God can be in all things, but no thing is God.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What I mean is that all is One. The universe is then a play/drama of God where He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself. Why? To experience advancement from separateness to wholeness.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

I think it's origin is Deuteronomy 6:4, called "the Shema."

Lunarious

Why did Allah form creation?
I don't know. But the Quran says it, and none can argue against Allah. I know however that the purpose is not to experience advancement, because He says: Go down, being an enemy to eachother until a certain time, and you will recieve a word from me, so he who follows no fear on him or greif/sadness. Like Mahayana and Hinayana perspective from Buddhist but its many places.

Peace

Oh and from internet: Besides, if the universe had not been created, the never-ending perfection and beauty of the names and attributes of Allah Almighty would have never been known. This would have only been known by Allah (SWT). By manifesting the spiritual beauties of His names and attributes, Allah Almighty, besides beholding His own Beauty and Perfection on His own works, also wished to give a share to angels, man, and jinn from this honor and bestowal.

siti

An omnipotent God has the ability to stop time and experience reality as a single point having only one dimension.
What? How does a point have any dimension? How can experience happen in no time?

LionLooking

Yes - to me anyway. He's also everything that has ever lived or ever will, from prehistoric algae to alien life forms on other worlds. From a mosquito to a humanity's descendants billions of years from now.

When I was trying to figure this idea out, I thought maybe, since God exist outside of time, that perhaps God takes turns, experiencing existing as each conscious entity in the universe just experiencing the separate existence of everything that exists at that moment.

I see 'us' as God's mind. His focus can jump from one to another, regardless of time or space. At this instant He is experiencing what it is like to be me, complete with memories. Then His attention might flip to what it's like to be a pig in a slaughterhouse at the moment of death, or a T-Rex hunting, or a tree, or anything else.

I see the universe as complete, from beginning to end, yet eternal - it always is (time is an illusion).
The conscious beings in it are God's 'thoughts'.
We are all God. Whatever you do to others you are doing to yourself.

Just my two penn'orth.