• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is called God. This name is known to all religions

questfortruth

God is called God. This name is known to all religions and even atheists. There are many dogs. So, the dog is not the name of a dog. Only one being is called God. Therefore, it is a unique NAME. Yes, pagan nations have gods: Zeus, Satan, Shiva. These nations are correct in one thing: God's name is God. They made a mistake that His second name is Zeus (or satan). No, there is no such name for God. The second name of God is Jesus. These nations are correct that there is God, but incorrect that the amount of God is more than one Supreme Being.

pearl

God is not really a name, but the name of the Mystery that lies at the root of all that exists.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
God is called God. This name is known to all religions and even atheists. There are many dogs. So, the dog is not the name of a dog. Only one being is called God. Therefore, it is a unique NAME. Yes, pagan nations have gods: Zeus, Satan, Shiva. These nations are correct in one thing: God's name is God. They made a mistake that His second name is Zeus (or satan). No, there is no such name for God. The second name of God is Jesus. These nations are correct that there is God, but incorrect that the amount of God is more than one Supreme Being.

You believe in one God. That does not mean other Gods cant exist.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Um.

The word god is an English word. Some believe in one god so they capitalize it and just call their monotheistic god God.

Other languages would call that one god something else. They aren't using God as a name. It's a title

It's like saying Reverend rather than Reverend Chris

Edit: accidently put religions instead of languages

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As @Guitar's Cry said, god is derived from German, gott first used in the 6th century ad. And incidentally used my the Nazis "gott mit uns" (god with us) marked on much of their equipment

gott-mit-uns.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Why do you think God is a universal concept?
Obviously you've never taken any cultural anthropology courses.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Agreed except for the part about God being a being or named Jesus. The second name of God is reason:

My God Is Reason - Richard Banford

"Do you know his name? Sure you do. He talks to you every day. You could not live a normal life without him. You believe in him, whether you like it or not. Unless you abandon him completely, you cannot deny he exists.

"My god is a more personal god than yours can ever be, for if you have enough sense to understand these words, my god lives within you. He lives within us all, to some degree. A heartbreaking few cannot understand him, but this is not their fault. The real tragedy is the multitudes who ignore much of his counsel, particularly when he questions your god too deeply.

"My god has been around longer than your god. He was here before the many other gods that preceded your god. Though you will likely scoff at the notion, my god was the father of your god, as he was to all gods. But that was long ago when he was young and not yet sure of himself. Though many of your god's followers try to hold him down, my god grows stronger and more independent each day.

"When your god expelled us from paradise for eating an apple, my god taught us to grow our own fruit.

"When your god forbade knowledge, demanding we live in ignorance, my god created books.

"When your god smote cities like a tantrum-prone child, my god helped to rebuild them.

"When your god insisted the world was flat, my god showed his followers it was round, to their peril at the hands of your god's followers.

"While your god watched in silence as children sickened and died, my god created medicines to make them well.

"When your god winked and nodded at slavery, my god argued passionately against it.

"While your god represses half the human race, my god considers woman to be the equal of man.

"When your god only helps those who help themselves, my god rolls up his sleeves and actually does help until your god decides to join in, and then steals all the credit.

"When your god inspired great buildings and great art, my god made them possible.

"While your god says we are all born sinners, tainted before we even draw breath, my god says we are all born innocent; a clean slate with limitless potential.

"While your god offers dubious allusions of an afterlife, my god provides for us here in this life.

"While your god makes amazing promises, but offers not a shred of proof, my god performs amazing deeds, and the proof is there to be seen by all.

"While your god demands blind faith and obsequious obedience, my god encourages questions, even about himself.

"When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."

"My god is reason. He does more in a day than your god will ever do."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am speaking within Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
But you're making claims that apply universally; claims that apply to all mankind, past and present.
You didn't preface the below statement with "Among the Eastern Orthodox...."
"God is called God. This name is known to all religions and even atheists."
No, not all religions know this "name," or even have a remotely familiar god-concept.
"Only one being is called God. Therefore, it is a unique NAME."
God is a personified concept. In English its called "God." In a different language the same concept/personage has a different name -- and it's not always /ɡɑːd/.
He's reputed to answer to many names.
"Yes, pagan nations have gods: Zeus, Satan, Shiva. These nations are correct in one thing: God's name is God.
So why do they call him by a different name? Why do they not know the sound /ɡɑːd/.
They made a mistake that His second name is Zeus (or satan)."
So they know his given name but are just being respectful by calling him by his surname?
hysterical.gif

Names aside, how about the concept of a creator or lawmaker God. This, too, is hardly universal.

questfortruth

So they know his given name but are just being respectful by calling him by his surname?
No, not all religions know this "name," or even have a remotely familiar god-concept.

So why do they call him by a different name? Why do they not know the sound /ɡɑːd/.

Even the people have many names, and these names sound and being written differently in different nations. For example, Jesus - translates as Saviour. In Hebrew it is Joshua, in Russian it is IISUS. Another name of Jesus is Lord Christ.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even the people have many names, and these names sound and being written differently in different nations. For example, Jesus - translates as Saviour. In Hebrew it is Joshua, in Russian it is IISUS. Another name of Jesus is Lord Christ.
You said the name was known universally, not the concept, implying that the sound: /ɡɑːd/, was universal.

The various words for "God," "table" or "tree" in various languages involve a common concept, but different names. You were implying a common name.

So, don't confuse overthinkers like me by equating a concept with it's name. Names are local.

So... are you claiming the concept of God is universal? This, too, I'd take issue with.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Did this nonsense really need another thread? As an atheist I don't believe in any deity or deities, thus the descriptor would always be god, as I cannot refer to one true deity, since I don't believe there is one. You are free to believe what you want, but others do not have to share those beliefs.