• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is beyond religion

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Either you just said something clever that I completely missed, or that doesn't work at all, on any level.

I've had another look. Makes no sense, please try harder.
It's an analogy.
"God" is a subset of religion.
Harry Potter is a subset of fiction.
Subsets cannot be "beyond" the set.

Forgive me.
I thought it so obvious that elaborating would be mansplaining.

RestlessSoul

It's an analogy.

Forgive me.

Now you're making it worse. If you have to explain your analogy, you can safely assume it fell flat.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now you're making it worse. If you have to explain your analogy, you can safely assume it fell flat.
It wasn't supposed to be anything more than flat.
Just a comment.
You expect too much from me.
Stop that!
You could try your own commentary.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
God is universal. God is beyond religion. God has no spesific religion. This is my belief

Any thoughts? Do you agree or disagree?
I don't like to get into arguments, so I will just say that according to the Bible, God gave direct instructions to Moses, who related them to the population of Israelites. If that's not "religion," I don't know what is. (There's more to it, but I'll stop there.)

muhammad_isa

God is universal. God is beyond religion. God has no spesific religion. This is my belief

Almighty God expects us to seek knowledge.
Now, a person might feel that "they know it all already" ..
..but not one of us does in reality .. it is a life-long process .. a spiritual journey.

Almighty God is not BEYOND religion as such .. but He knows those of us who are sincere and who are not.
He also knows who puts in the work necessary to seek the truth and who doesn't.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't like to get into arguments, so I will just say that according to the Bible, God gave direct instructions to Moses, who related them to the population of Israelites. If that's not "religion," I don't know what is. (There's more to it, but I'll stop there.)
There are many religions and holy books that claim to represent God and speak on his behalf; mostly founded or coopted by self-appointed, self-serving middlemen.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's an analogy.

Forgive me.
Is Abraham Lincoln a subset of the book "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I respectfully disagree.

God, the creator of heaven and earth, exists in absolute truth and purity. In order to encounter and interact with God one needs to abandon all dishonesty and delusion. In order to accomplish this, a person needs to adopt a strict code of behavior ( religion) to refine their negative attributes.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
There are many religions and holy books that claim to represent God and speak on his behalf; mostly founded or coopted by self-appointed, self-serving middlemen.
The book I'm most familiar with and agree with is the holy scriptures, i.e., the Bible. What I am saying, and with which I think you agree, is that it is a defined way of worship. Also I believe it is history and goes into detail.

PearlSeeker

Yes. I think it's in human nature to feel awe of life and nature and wanting to explain, understand, find purpose, meaning, patterns ... That's why we developed myths, sciences, philosophy and religions.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Mental equanimity is necessary for the practice of present moment awareness or mindfulness or total love, and such mental equanimity is developed only through austerities and virtuous conduct. The austerities can be as simple as attempting meditation while the mind is inclined to sense-pleasures or practicing virtue in the midst of temptations or cravings that agitate the mind.

Awareness in turn results in intuition that enables direct perception of truth .
Can there be other hard austerities that are useful?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

“God” is a specific name/designation, with specific theological connotations. I, personally, prefer the term “the Divine.” It seems to be more conducive to universality. But in theory, I do agree.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God, the first source and center, is the focal point of all religion, even atheism. Mankind's approach to God is through his religion. Gods approach to man is through revelation. Truth is always revelation.

IMOP
I kind of agree and kind of don’t. Atheists espouse no religion. Religion is a specific system of beliefs, myths, ceremonies, and sacraments. Not all who are spiritual make use of such systems. Humanity’s approach to the Divine is not always through religion. But it is always a matter of intuition.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I find holes in every religion. If there is a God then that God has not revealed anything to humanity. Moral truth is simple and obvious, nature is complex and full of faults; thus making moral decisions complex at times.

If God is, then what exactly is this place we live in? The world has natural evils, and catastrophes, the world has monumental corruption and wickedness throughout history.

Where, Oh, where is God in all of this?

I really want to know!