• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is All That Is; there is nothing that is not God

Chris Terai

These are not my words. They are the truth that was within me when I returned from a near-death experience, but I didn't really understand them. And then I did, and I was an atheist no more.

"God is All That Is, and there is nothing that is not God."
  • If God is All That Is, and we are born into and of All That Is, then God truly is the father, the provider.
  • Many religions hold that God knows all and sees all. If God is All That Is, this is fact undeniable.
  • The more we love, the more blissful our life. This is alignment with God. It is proof that God is divine.
  • If God is All That Is, and God is divine, then everything is divinity in various degrees of expression and evil dos not exist. Even that which we dislike knows love on some level; it's simply an impure expression... or we are. This makes sense, because every time we relate to evil, we suffer our perception. When instead, we see All That Is as varying degrees of goodness, suffering dissolves.
  • Atheists believe in All That Is, while those of faith believe in God. Beliefs converge if All That Is is God.
I've heard the argument many times, that one cannot see God, and yet we do every day... from within. Once we realize that, the mysteries of faith fall into place as common understanding, and the myths fall away. What does the message mean to you? Do you see truths of your faith within those words?

an-atheist-is.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That could mean many things. It could mean we are all part of God which is a doctrine which identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God. My religion is monotheistic so I do not believe we are part of God but rather I believe that God is separate and apart from His creation.

But in the sense that God is all that really matters I can agree with you. Then of course we would have to ask what I mean by "all that really matters." I mean that in this life what is most important is knowing God and doing God's will.

“The beginning of all things is the knowledge of God, and the end of all things is strict observance of whatsoever hath been sent down from the empyrean of the Divine Will that pervadeth all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 5

According to my beliefs, what we do in this life will carry over into the afterlife, and as such what we do in this life is supremely important. However, the word "afterlife" is kind of an oxymoron, because it is all one life and that life simply continues in the spiritual world after we die physically and pass into another world, where the soul takes on another form.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If God is All That Is, and we are born into and of All That Is, then God truly is the father, the provider

Supposition without evidence, no proof

Many religions hold that God knows all and sees all. If God is All That Is, this is fact undeniable.

Which god?, as far as i know only 4 of several thousand religions are hot for the abrahamic god

The more we love, the more blissful our life. This is alignment with God. It is proof that God is divine.

No proof, love exists without the need for a god

If God is All That Is, and God is divine, then everything is divinity in various degrees of expression and evil dos not exist. Even that which we dislike knows love on some level; it's simply an impure expression... or we are. This makes sense, because every time we relate to evil, we suffer our perception. When instead, we see All That Is as varying degrees of goodness, suffering dissolves.

Evil being a religious thing must surely exist, otherwise explain child molesting priests,

Atheists believe in All That Is, while those of faith believe in God. Beliefs converge if All That Is is God.

Atheist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And all you have made is supposition, not proof so disbelief is gods is still disbelief i gods

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
These are not my words. They are the truth that was within me when I returned from a near-death experience, but I didn't really understand them. And then I did, and I was an atheist no more.

• If God is All That Is, and we are born into and of All That Is, then God truly is the father, the provider.
  • Many religions hold that God knows all and sees all. If God is All That Is, this is fact undeniable.
  • The more we love, the more blissful our life. This is alignment with God. It is proof that God is divine.
  • If God is All That Is, and God is divine, then everything is divinity in various degrees of expression and evil dos not exist. Even that which we dislike knows love on some level; it's simply an impure expression... or we are. This makes sense, because every time we relate to evil, we suffer our perception. When instead, we see All That Is as varying degrees of goodness, suffering dissolves.
  • Atheists believe in All That Is, while those of faith believe in God. Beliefs converge if All That Is is God.
I've heard the argument many times, that one cannot see God, and yet we do every day... from within. Once we realize that, the mysteries of faith fall into place as common understanding, and the myths fall away. What does the message mean to you? Do you see truths of your faith within those words?

an-atheist-is.jpg
I found a lot within your text i agree with you on :)
My understanding of God is all there is, is more toward every particle we are build up from contain truth, and if we say God is truth, your OP is very true :)

Chris Terai

Which god?, as far as i know only 4 of several thousand religions are hot for the abrahamic god
If God is All That Is, then there is nothing that is not God. We have to be careful of metaphor here. I am defining God as All That Is, not suggesting that one view is superior to another. I am giving you a synonym just as it was given to me.
No proof, love exists without the need for a god
Does love exist without All That Is? To what do you direct your love, if not an aspect of All That Is?
Evil being a religious thing must surely exist, otherwise explain child molesting priests,
All things exist in varying degrees; there is no cold to oppose heat; there is simply heat from barely discernable to intensely present. There is no darkness to oppose light, but there is the absence or muted light. All that is exists as a matter of degree, not opposing forces.

Transgressions are not a matter of evil, but a shortage of aligned goodness. Even the priest you mention has goodness within him, though his expression is not consistent with his greatness within, and I'm sure we'd all agree that he/she needs to align.
Atheist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Is your metaphor for God so strong that you can't consider the possibility that God and reality are the same? Do you believe in reality?
And all you have made is supposition, not proof so disbelief is gods is still disbelief i gods
Actually, I have provided a means of looking differently at religion. If God is All That Is, if the two are the same, then much myth of ancient times suddenly makes sense. And it dawns on me to ask... is it possible that faith was originally grounded in logic and reason? Could it be that the mythteries of faith are in fact our own creations, and that the wise ones of antiquity did in fact know what they were talking about?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

an-atheist-is.jpg

I had brain surgery, without meds I have life/death seizures, I am life long disabled, (getting new diagnosis as we speak), almost got hit inches of two car accident, and so forth. I did not think of God, truth, reality, mystics, etc. Not even love associated with any spiritual or religious truth(s). I can't compare it to atheism because there is no such thing as an "atheist" experience. I can't say humanism. The results of these experiences and what I learned are not all external.

I never had an outer body experience, but I do believe those who have these mystic experiences are contradicting their lessen in that I would assume they learn that experiences are subjective and there is no atheist vs theist in these experiences. If anything, it would make one have a holistic view. Label it god if one likes but making everything from the same source is totally the opposite of wisdom in my opinion.

The quote sounds like it's trying to make sense of why some people don't believe in one person's truth. It's trying to justify to oneself that "atheists Must believe in God...they just name it differently." Provides comfort that people are not different; they're not alone.

There is no Truth. Life just is. It's alright to find outside purpose-scripture, elder, so have you, but not all people even have that as their reality. Try not to justify their beliefs as related to yours to make sense of it. It distorts their belief and is beside the point of the beauty of multitude in a inpersonal world we so happen to be born in.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@Chris Terai clearly you had a very profound NDE. A couple of comments:

The more we love, the more blissful our life. This is alignment with God...

Those who have had that experience will know whereof you speak. Those that don't will reject or at best wonder.

If God is All That Is, and God is divine, then everything is divinity in various degrees of expression and evil dos not exist. Even that which we dislike knows love on some level; it's simply an impure expression... or we are. This makes sense, because every time we relate to evil, we suffer our perception. When instead, we see All That Is as varying degrees of goodness, suffering dissolves.

I struggle, fail and struggle again to hold that perspective but it remains a goal.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If God is All That Is, then there is nothing that is not God. We have to be careful of metaphor here. I am defining God as All That Is, not suggesting that one view is superior to another. I am giving you a synonym just as it was given to me.

Stand your ground. Not only is All That is God, but All That Isn't as well. This includes everything that is known as well as everything that is not known. It also includes the knowing and the not knowing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

an-atheist-is.jpg

Being an atheist, I don't know all that is. What I don't know about, I really see little reason to invest any belief in. I'd imagine there exists many things in the universe I have no belief about.

What I call reality is that which I consistently find to physically exist regardless of my belief. If you want to call that which physically exists God, that is fine, but "reality" has never asked me to worship it, pray to it or worry about an afterlife.

Within we can see anything we have the ability to imagine. "God' can be whatever you want God to be or not be. You have complete control over the God within. For some God is reality plus some kind of omnipotent, omniscient intelligence. For some God is the only thing that exists and reality is an illusion. For some God exists on a separate spiritual plane. That is why there exist so many versions, types of God including your God. Man has control of the God they believe in.

I could create a God from whatever I felt was appropriate. In fact, I did so in the past. Now I choose not to do so. If I have a God in your head, that's ok but it's a God that only exists in your head, not mine.

Chris Terai

I think the point is that there is a logical and reasonable path to realizing relationship with God. Until we do, our bliss is limited and our experience sub-optimal. I will explain.

Every memory we develop is emotion tied with an event. If the emotion is positive, the memory is like a jewel in our life experience. The more positive the emotion, the more treasured the jewel. To live the optimal life then, is to embrace joy and happiness in all we think, say, and do.

Love is the core of all positive emotion. On any choice, ask yourself why you care. Then realize that caring is love. You have identified the connection between your actions and the love that drives them.

The more wholly we love, the more of our memories are positive and the happier we are. When we think of the world as containing goodness and evil, and oppose that we judge to be evil, we limit our expression of love and thus detract from the wholesomeness of our life experience. When we see that the entire world is good in varying degrees, we appreciate that goodness and are not limited in where we express love. The divine experience, whether we call it satori, nirvana, being touched by God or something else, is a result of creating limitless love within and expressing it indiscriminately. We have to understand love and virtue well to do this, embracing them as the core of our being. We can do this; it is the path taught by the mystics of old.

Consider now, that we suffer every negative emotion and enjoy all positive ones. They are the treasures we collect in life; they are also our guideposts leading us to be our greatest selves.

We tend to think of so much of life in diametric terms, when in fact it's a matter of degree. When the love expressed in an experience is below your normal, you suffer. When the expression is above your normal, you delight. That which we suffer is a very low vibration of love and rightness, while the divine is the high expression.

The common approach to life is to align with aspects of reality and to oppose others. This will always introduce suffering. God is All That Is, and so All That Is is divine. We can't align with some of God and not all of God. When we see the divine in All That Is, and strive to increase its expression, we are more fully aligned and we know bliss.

Nothing is ever made whole by subtracting energy. When we have negative feelings, what we are feeling is our life force being siphoned off. This is a sign to say that something's off track. Usually, the issue is that virtue and rightness are being compromised. All of humanity's wrongdoings are because we believe in evil and try to align in goodness, opposing instead of redivining that which is in need of healing. Every force against us is either fear or love's absence. They are in need of divine energy. Providing aggression or fostering fear only takes energy from that which is already desperate. In other words, our misalignment with regard to that which we dislike causes suffering and greater desperation.

All of humanity can be blissful and happy, but we have to realize that all are divine and help them heal, instead of judging and harming. This is treating All That Is with respect and dignity. It's how we heal our society.

When we have relationship with All That Is, the ills of the world fall away. This is the societal version of healing. We align personally to redivine our lives, and collectively to redivine society.

Does that make definition more than semantics?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Then God is....

Cancer
Serial murderers
Terrifying parasites that blind, disfigure and kill children, adults, the elderly
Mudslides that wipe out whole villages
COVID-19
The volcano that destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum (and of course the thousands who lived there, including infants and those trying to help others)
Starvation due to drought and famine
Slavery

If God is "all there is," then since those are things that exist, then they are also God.

Live with it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then God is....

Cancer
Serial murderers
Terrifying parasites that blind, disfigure and kill children, adults, the elderly
COVID-19
The volcano that destroyed Pompeii and Herculaneum (and of course the thousands who lived there, including infants and those trying to help others)
Slavery

If God is "all there is," then since those are things that exist, then they are also God.

Live with it.
This is the problem that ensues when people make blanket statements with no context.
Needless to say God is not all there is because there are also humans who account for some of your listed items.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think the point is that there is a logical and reasonable path to realizing relationship with God. Until we do, our bliss is limited and our experience sub-optimal. I will explain.

Every memory we develop is emotion tied with an event. If the emotion is positive, the memory is like a jewel in our life experience. The more positive the emotion, the more treasured the jewel. To live the optimal life then, is to embrace joy and happiness in all we think, say, and do.

Love is the core of all positive emotion. On any choice, ask yourself why you care. Then realize that caring is love. You have identified the connection between your actions and the love that drives them.

The more wholly we love, the more of our memories are positive and the happier we are. When we think of the world as containing goodness and evil, and oppose that we judge to be evil, we limit our expression of love and thus detract from the wholesomeness of our life experience. When we see that the entire world is good in varying degrees, we appreciate that goodness and are not limited in where we express love. The divine experience, whether we call it satori, nirvana, being touched by God or something else, is a result of creating limitless love within and expressing it indiscriminately. We have to understand love and virtue well to do this, embracing them as the core of our being. We can do this; it is the path taught by the mystics of old.

Consider now, that we suffer every negative emotion and enjoy all positive ones. They are the treasures we collect in life; they are also our guideposts leading us to be our greatest selves.

We tend to think of so much of life in diametric terms, when in fact it's a matter of degree. When the love expressed in an experience is below your normal, you suffer. When the expression is above your normal, you delight. That which we suffer is a very low vibration of love and rightness, while the divine is the high expression.

The common approach to life is to align with aspects of reality and to oppose others. This will always introduce suffering. God is All That Is, and so All That Is is divine. We can't align with some of God and not all of God. When we see the divine in All That Is, and strive to increase its expression, we are more fully aligned and we know bliss.

Nothing is ever made whole by subtracting energy. When we have negative feelings, what we are feeling is our life force being siphoned off. This is a sign to say that something's off track. Usually, the issue is that virtue and rightness are being compromised. All of humanity's wrongdoings are because we believe in evil and try to align in goodness, opposing instead of redivining that which is in need of healing. Every force against us is either fear or love's absence. They are in need of divine energy. Providing aggression or fostering fear only takes energy from that which is already desperate. In other words, our misalignment with regard to that which we dislike causes suffering and greater desperation.

All of humanity can be blissful and happy, but we have to realize that all are divine and help them heal, instead of judging and harming. This is treating All That Is with respect and dignity. It's how we heal our society.

When we have relationship with All That Is, the ills of the world fall away. This is the societal version of healing. We align personally to redivine our lives, and collectively to redivine society.

Does that make definition more than semantics?

I'm happy without God. There is nothing special about me.
If I'm happy without God, I'm pretty sure all of humanity can be happy without God. In fact belief in God often seems to cause people to be unhappy as often as not.

Since a person can be happy with or without a belief in God, God is irrelevant to being happy.

Maybe people believe they are suffering because they are told they are suffering. I suppose if you make them believe they are suffering, you can also make them believe they need God to end that suffering.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Then God is....

Cancer
Serial murderers
COVID-19
Slavery

Live with it.

Yep. God is also how you react to same...

Chris Terai

@Evangelicalhumanist

How would we know our nature without contrast? What you post is reality, and it's not evil. It is opportunity to be your greatest self. Relate to the suffering and you will suffer. Heal instead. Bring divinity into expression. You can be your greatest or suffer as a victim. It's all choice.

What you mention are aspects of God, no more or less divine than us. Perhaps instead of looking at one event, you could see that the lives of all involved were entirely gifts. If someone loaned you a Mercedes for a week, would you despise them for taking it back? Form and life are as this, a gift. Every experience ever known, ever lived, is a treasure.

Can we love murderers and beings that cause great harm. Of course. We need to understand hell to do so. I've been there and learned to guide lost souls to safety. You can read of it in my NDE if you like. See my prior post re: NDERF.

@Nakosis

Being happy has nothing to do with the metaphor for God, and all to do with alignment as a right and noble being. Congratulations on your happiness; you could not be so, were you not aligned in love and virtue. I'd still contend that you might know limits to your bliss. Have you ever been so enlightened that you told a loved one "I am blissfully happy and there's nothing I can do about it." This is the experience of unconditional love expressed without restraint. Realizing it generally requires us to see the divinity in All That Is. As to calling that rightness God, again the name is just a metaphor. You can align without creating a term.

It's such a shame that we can't communicate our hearts as clearly as we feel them. So many barriers would fall away if we could.