• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"God is a woman"

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
You don't know what I have or have not read, hild. But I'm guessing that from your now tactic of glossing over everything and ignoring what's taken time to type out that I can forgo the eight-page needling that you left in the other thread. I was halfway done, but if you're just going to quote the whole thing and reply with "dude you don't get it" and an arbitrary judgement on my faith then what's the point?

And you should have first said there was something wrong with the link, rather than act like I posted nothing whatsoever. I can't fix what I don't know about. The link leads to an online PDF that takes a while to load; but what the hell, I'll post the pendant here.

Loki pendant.png

A bracteate, on the other hand, is a thin, single-sided gold medal worn during the Migration period and the Iron Age. They are stamped, and do not include jewels. In the Medieval period, they were nothing but coin money.

Hildeburh

You quite clearly said that "Not even Snorri lists him among the gods." There were given to you several instances in where yes, Loki most certainly was named among the gods. And that's just ridiculous logic: "he's listed among the gods in places and names of honor and respect, but that doesn't make him a god".

I think your confusion here is that you are conflating mythology with cults. The Norse Mythology Blog will answer all the points you raised.

The Norse Mythology Blog | norsemyth.org: Questioning Loki, Part One | Articles & Interviews on Myth & Religion

You here relegated Loki worshipers to "fanboys & fangirls," and deemed their worship "artificial" - something that you have little to no right to say.

Where is here?

This is not the type of language I use, but it is yours. Give me a link where I said this.

I said, there is no evidence that Loki was worshipped and that the cult of Loki is modern. You have taken this statement to be derogatory, I have no issue with ecelecticism.

A link was given to you in Post #92 (and again there; you're welcome). It's not on me if you failed to read it.

OK, that's my mistake the article downloaded directly to my files, if you could warn me it's a pdf next time, I've got limited space. I read the article but I think the question is did you and if you did, did you understand the authors conclusions?

For those who don't read Norwegian there is a detailed discussion and synopsis, in the link below. Which is frankly where I believe you got your link in the first place, fordi jeg ikke tror at du kan lese norsk

You should stop recommending the Edda's and the Saga's as reading material, and leave the freaking Runes alone. • r/asatru

This link should be of particular interest to you as it is a discussion by Heathens on Loki and includes many of the points I have raised regarding your importation of ecelectic ideas into Heathenry. I don't hold out too much hope that you will read it but others might be interested.

Mikael Cerbing, does not state that the facial jewelry depicts Loki, in fact he states it is speculative and partly based on an unprovable etymological link between Loki and fire. He also does not mention that he considers Loki a god, or that Loki was considered a god. But it all in the link.

Last edited:

Hildeburh

You don't know what I have or have not read, hild. But I'm guessing that from your now tactic of glossing over everything and ignoring what's taken time to type out that I can forgo the eight-page needling that you left in the other thread. I was halfway done, but if you're just going to quote the whole thing and reply with "dude you don't get it" and an arbitrary judgement on my faith then what's the point?.

Needling? That's your interpretation, why are you feeling needled? Because your ideas are challenged? Bluntly sharing and discussing references is the standard mode of conversation for reconstructionists; I guess it can be a shock if your not used to it.

Your ecelectic and that is not a value judgment, but a statement based on the content of your posts. I have no issue with ecelecticism just find it irritating when folks try to claim a historical basis for modern ideas and think they know better than academics that juggle myths for a living.

I promise not to say "dude you dont get it" if you keep the derogatory epithets out of your replies. In general you get what you give in these discussions.

And you should have first said there was something wrong with the link, rather than act like I posted nothing whatsoever. I can't fix what I don't know about. The link leads to an online PDF that takes a while to load; but what the hell, I'll post the pendant here..

I found the link but I think maybe you didn't read it or even open it. Refer to my previous post.

A bracteate, on the other hand, is a thin, single-sided gold medal worn during the Migration period and the Iron Age. They are stamped, and do not include jewels. In the Medieval period, they were nothing but coin money.

Thanks, for the Wikipedia quote but I know the difference.

Refer to my last post for a rely to your 'evidence'.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I think your confusion here is that you are conflating mythology with cults.
No, I'm really not. I know three different uses for the word "cult", and none of them are in the slightest related to anything that I've said, or anything that I provided contrary to your claim that "not even Snorri" lists Loki among the gods.

Where is here?
Quite clearly what was put in bold. I gave you a link to your statement. I bolded where you said those things. You said, quite plainly in Post #95, that Loki might be worshiped today by "fanboys and fangirls", and that this is a new and artificial phenomenon.

Let me break this down for you. Calling someone who worships a particular deity a "fanboy/girl" is incredibly disrespectful to them, their worship, and the state of being a theist and devotee in general. Debasing their worship to artificial is worse. It invokes notions that they're pretending, that their practice is not genuine, which is something that you have no authority to speak on. None whatsoever.

I find it ridiculous that you're displaying such indignation for being called on this, as well as being quite obstinate in owning this. You throw my words back at me like their the worst on the forum, like they've wronged you somehow. Let's look at them here.

Armchair Heathen: Used exactly once, and not even directed at anyone specifically. Do you know what an Armchair Heathen is? It's those who say a lot but show next to nothing of their actual practice. For all that can be seen, they don't practice Heathenry, they pose it. Dozens of blogs and articles of academia, but not a shred of evidence for faith. An apt term for people that are out there. Does this term apply to you? If not, there's no reason to get offended by it. If so, lace those shoes up and wear them.

Elitist: No results found.

Brownie Points: No results found. Also not an insult; used in lieu of "props" or other manner of modest congratulations.

Roleplaying: Also, no results found. The last three terms that you accuse me of using as "disrespectful slurs against Heathens" have not been said. Not by me, in any case.

Contrary to this (and further down, referencing "needling",) your posts have been consistently condescending, as well as making mountains of molehills. Challenging an idea is fine, criticizing the word use (which presents the same notion) is ridiculous. Honestly I remained polite as long as humanly possible, but it's more than uncalled for at this point. It is not because you "challenge my ideas"--which I would contest; you haven't really challenged anything, just gone through with a slew of red ink (metaphorically) to inform me of what's wrong. Rather, and related, it's because you act as though I'm so green to this that I bleed grass, hurling text after text that doesn't actually contradict anything I've posed as though I've never read them before. It's stuff like this:

For those who don't read Norwegian there is a detailed discussion and synopsis, in the link below. Which is frankly where I believe you got your link in the first place, fordi jeg ikke tror at du kan lese norsk
You're right, I can't read Norwegian very well just yet. But I sure am learning, and contrary to your assumptions, I do have resources through which the information can be gleaned, colleagues to speak with who are Norwegian, and discussions on this find and what it means. You falsely assume that I just pulled this random article to toss at you, smugly dismiss it here, but don't actually contradict anything that I've said.

In the article's final thoughts, the face pendants are discussed. It is noted that while the visages of kings and heroes were crafted with such detail - noting the hair designs - none such were fitted with jewels in the fashion that these two were. It is compared to similar pendants of Odin found in Viking hordes in Russia, but noted as different because both eyes were depicted as whole and present; Odin, of course, having one eye left to him. Garnets are discussed, with mention that in the Viking age they were regarded as having magical properties, and of being associated with fire. This, coupled with the similarity to the Snaptun stone, concludes that these depictions are, in fact, of Loki.

(Also if you hover over the link before clicking it, it is marked as a .pdf. Auto-downloading to your hard drive is a setting that you will have to change in your browser; to my operation it simply opens on a separate tab online.)

This link should be of particular interest to you as it is a discussion by Heathens on Loki and includes many of the points I have raised regarding your importation of ecelectic ideas into Heathenry.
Ah, and there's that word again; eclectic. Let me explain to you just what eclecticism is, and why this remains an incorrect assertion of my beliefs by yourself.

Eclecticism is, in practice, the application of several different sources, theories, and in general without rules. Within the Pagan Community, this exists in the practices best emulated by Modern Wicca, in where a coven might worship deities of multiple pantheons, pair gods and goddesses of different pantheons for their rituals, and observe holidays in not just modern but unculutral fashions. For example, I had the discomfort of standing audience to a Litha celebration meshed with Midsummer to Ra and Brighid. A Norse-based observance (yes, a modern one before you spring on that,) to Egyptian and Celtic deities.

That is eclectic. Contrary to this, everything that I have posed, spoken of, or referenced is Norse. Not meshed with other pantheons, no candle magic or healing crystals or chakras, etc. You might be fine with eclecticism but frankly I am not, because by observation and experience it equates with carelessness and disregard for culture.

Re: the reddit thread, I am familiar with AnarchoHeathen. Nice fellow, for a Hard Recon. He - and that thread - is also discussing Ásatrú specifically, which is but one group within Norse Heathenry itself. Others are not as restricted to the aesir alone, and consider all aspects of Norse divinity in their worship and practice. The thread is also rife with criticism of the subreddit moderator team taking official stances like that, and even a statement by AH - of which I've even stated here, mind you - that if Loki is a god he is an Icelandic god.

I have no issue with ecelecticism just find it irritating when folks try to claim a historical basis for modern ideas
Of which I have not done. I have been very clear - and consistent - in posing modern interpretations and applications of the myths. Nowhere have I said "this is how the arch-heathen saw this" to somehow validate my views as "ancient". So this is an unfair claim of yours. A mythical basis is different from a historical basis.

Before Bede and Snorri wrote down the various myths and stories, they were word of mouth. How many different versions do you think there were? How many times did the stories change details, or what was said, while keeping the overall theme intact? In essence, how often do you think people did the exact same thing that I've done? How many sat around the fire and ridiculed a man because he didn't tell the story exactly as Torolf had told it three moons ago?

Thanks, for the Wikipedia quote but I know the difference.
Notes from Art History 1 classes that I took years ago, actually. Wikipedia doesn't even show up on the first page when I search what I posted. Just for curiosity's sake, I did a quick search. The description that I gave you is also pretty much what the dictionary gives as well. Imagine that; a basic description is all but universal to the characteristics of an item.

And if you know the difference, why then did you describe an object that is not gold, is engraved rather than stamped, has jewel fittings, and is not a coin of currency as a bracteate?

Last edited:

Hildeburh

No, I'm really not. I know three different uses for the word "cult", and none of them are in the slightest related to anything that I've said, or anything that I provided contrary to your claim that "not even Snorri" lists Loki among the gods.

Did you read the Norse Mythology Blog? If not there's no point in futher discussion on Loki as you seem unwilling to challenge your ecelectic outdated ideas.

Quite clearly what was put in bold. I gave you a link to your statement. I bolded where you said those things. You said, quite plainly in Post #95, that Loki might be worshiped today by "fanboys and fangirls", and that this is a new and artificial phenomenon..

I put the bold on here in my reply because if that was a link it goes nowhere, I pushed and touched it....nothing!. Plus, of course it's irrelevant cause we both know the "fan boys and girls" is your fabrication or implication.

Let me break this down for you. Calling someone who worships a particular deity a "fanboy/girl" is incredibly disrespectful to them, their worship, and the state of being a theist and devotee in general. Debasing their worship to artificial is worse. It invokes notions that they're pretending, that their practice is not genuine, which is something that you have no authority to speak on. None whatsoever..

Why don't you just ask me what I think? Instead of assuming, implying, manufacturing or projecting your own ideas on me. Loki is a Modern cult as opposed to a reconstruction of an old cult, all the evidence points to this. Eclectic modern cult that is the sum total of my feeling on this issue.

I find it ridiculous that you're displaying such indignation.

I'm sure it's not the worst on the forum but I don't like it. If it is how you want to procced then so be it, gloves off.

Armchair Heathen: Used exactly once.

Now that link worked. Once was enough!

Elitist: No results found.

"haven't racked up the requisite number of brownie points; to me that is a deterrent statement born from a sense of elitism"

Brownie Points: No results found. Also not an insult; used in lieu of "props" or other manner of modest congratulations.

"haven't racked up the requisite number of brownie points; to me that is a deterrent statement born from a sense of elitism"

Roleplaying: Also, no results found. The last three terms that you accuse me of using as "disrespectful slurs against Heathens" have not been said. Not by me, in any case.

OK, can't find that one, must have imagined it, apologies.

Contrary to this (and further down, referencing "needling",) your posts have been consistently condescending, as well as making mountains of molehills.

You feel their condescending because you don't like to be contradicted, get used to it.

By molehills? You mean your errors, newbies read your posts and leave with a warped understanding of Norse mythology due to your eclecticism and arrogance in considering you are qualified to 'retell' the myths.

You're right, I can't read Norwegian very well just yet. But I sure am learning, and contrary to your assumptions, I do have resources through which the information can be gleaned, colleagues to speak with who are Norwegian, and discussions on this find and what it means. You falsely assume that I just pulled this random article to toss at you, smugly dismiss it here, but don't actually contradict anything that I've said.

This is an English speaking site, so why on earth would you give me a link to a Norwegian Masters thesis? You are either playing with me, didn't realize it was in Norwegian because you didn't bother open it or you got your information second or third hand.

So, if you had other sources on this pendant, why didn't you give me an English language source?

In the article's final thoughts, the face pendants are discussed. It is noted that while the visages of kings and heroes were crafted with such detail - noting the hair designs - none such were fitted with jewels in the fashion that these two were. It is compared to similar pendants of Odin found in Viking hordes in Russia, but noted as different because both eyes were depicted as whole and present; Odin, of course, having one eye left to him. Garnets are discussed, with mention that in the Viking age they were regarded as having magical properties, and of being associated with fire. This, coupled with the similarity to the Snaptun stone, concludes that these depictions are, in fact, of Loki..

I read the article, I don't need a synopsis. Find me the exact paragraph in the source you gave me because clearly you didn't read the Heathen discussion or the article (you gave me) or the Norse Mythology Blog.

The garnets linked with fire is the authors assumption and even if they are, which is not supported anywhere else I can find, the name Loki is not associated etymologically with fire, ergo faulty logic. But if you had read the Norse Mythology Blog I left you you would know that.

There is no point further discussing this issue if you are not willing update your knowlege base by reading the links I give you. Case in point, Loki is somehow linked with fire.

From the Norse Mythology Blog:

"The “god of fire” idea is a famous mistake that is due to the similarity between the names Loki and Logi, the latter being a personification of fire in the well-known story of Thor’s visit to the giant Útgarða-Loki. The connection to fire was popularized by the composer Richard Wagner in his Ring operas, in which he portrayed Loki as a sort of fire-sprite named Loge".

The Norse Mythology Blog | norsemyth.org: Questioning Loki, Part One | Articles & Interviews on Myth & Religion

"Some people have seen an image of Loki on an ancient furnace stone found on a Danish beach. Interpreting the carving this way is based on a basic misunderstanding of Loki’s nature that considers him a god of fire. We’re left with a circular argument that (wrongly) posits Loki as a god of fire, then defines a random face on a furnace stone as Loki because he’s a god of fire. See how the logic fails?"

(Also if you hover over the link before clicking it, it is marked as a .pdf. Auto-downloading to your hard drive is a setting that you will have to change in your browser; to my operation it simply opens on a separate tab online.)

I am not as computer literate as you, I'll give that a try. Thank you.

Ah, and there's that word again; eclectic. Let me explain to you just what eclecticism is, and why this remains an incorrect assertion of my beliefs by yourself. Eclecticism is, in practice, the application of several different sources, theories, and in general without rules. Within the Pagan Community, this exists in the practices best emulated by Modern Wicca, in where a coven might worship deities of multiple pantheons, pair gods and goddesses of different pantheons for their rituals, and observe holidays in not just modern but unculutral fashions. For example, I had the discomfort of standing audience to a Litha celebration meshed with Midsummer to Ra and Brighid. A Norse-based observance (yes, a modern one before you spring on that,) to Egyptian and Celtic deities..

Dude use a dictionary or a source for the meaning and etymology of words.

Eclecticism is a conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases. However, this is often without conventions or rules dictating how or which theories were combined.

Eclecticism - Wikipedia

Eclectic
• Like your eclectic retelling of a Norse creation myth, with obvious errors and moral commentary ( tainted, good heart etc).
• Like equating Jormungandr to the forces inside the earths core
• Like this " Asgard is enamoured with Baldr, and nothing changes. Summer reigns eternal, crops fail unattended, Midgard suffers as all attention is paid to Baldr". Which owes more to the Wicca Wheel of the Year than Norse mythology.
• Like this "Loki, seeing this damaging stagnation, knew that the natural order - chaotic change - was necessary. Winter must come, men must harvest the crops to prepare for it, and they must know that summer will return again to tide them through the winter" once again is wiccatru.

Dude the Norse gods as vegetation gods or dying and rising seasonal gods was debunked decades ago by Jan de Vries.

Re: the reddit thread, I am familiar with AnarchoHeathen. Nice fellow, for a Hard Recon. He - and that thread - is also discussing Ásatrú specifically, which is but one group within Norse Heathenry itself. Others are not as restricted to the aesir alone, and consider all aspects of Norse divinity in their worship and practice. The thread is also rife with criticism of the subreddit moderator team taking official stances like that, and even a statement by AH - of which I've even stated here, mind you - that if Loki is a god he is an Icelandic god..

I read the thread I don't need a synopsis.

that if Loki is a god he is an Icelandic god.

Well the if is a breakthough. It is unlikely that Loki was an Icelandic god for four reasons:

1. There is archeological existence that supports the Myth of Loki outside of Iceland, here I am talking about the Kirky Stephen Stone and the Gosforth Cross, and
2. Iceland was only ever nominally Heathen, it was settled in the second half of the 9th C. and accepted Christianity in 999, by arbitration of the Althing, and
3. The is zero archeology or placename evidence to support the assertion that Loki was ever culted in Iceland or that he was an Icelandic god
4. Some of the poems of the Poetic Edda predate the settlement of Iceland.

Hildeburh

QUOTE=]Re: the reddit thread, I am familiar with AnarchoHeathen. Nice fellow, for a Hard Recon. He - and that thread - is also discussing Ásatrú specifically, which is but one group within Norse Heathenry itself. Others are not as restricted to the aesir alone, and consider all aspects of Norse divinity in their worship and practice. The thread is also rife with criticism of the subreddit moderator team taking official stances like that, and even a statement by AH - of which I've even stated here, mind you - that if Loki is a god he is an Icelandic god..[/QUOTE]

I read the thread I don't need a synopsis.

that if Loki is a god he is an Icelandic god.

Well the if is a breakthough. It is unlikely that Loki was an Icelandic god for four reasons:

1. There is archeological existence that supports the Myth of Loki outside of Iceland, here I am talking about the Kirky Stephen Stone and the Gosforth Cross, and
2. Iceland was only ever nominally Heathen, it was settled in the second half of the 9th C. and accepted Christianity in 999, by arbitration of the Althing, and
3. The is zero archeology or placename evidence to support the assertion that Loki was ever culted in Iceland or that he was an Icelandic god
4. Some of the poems of the Poetic Edda predate the settlement of Iceland.

Before Bede and Snorri wrote down the various myths and stories, they were word of mouth. How many different versions do you think there were? How many times did the stories change details, or what was said, while keeping the overall theme intact? In essence, how often do you think people did the exact same thing that I've done? How many sat around the fire and ridiculed a man because he didn't tell the story exactly as Torolf had told it three moons ago?

Bede didnt write any myths.

The Norse myths were originally oral, told by skalds, who were respected within Norse society. The audience, Elder Heathens, by virtue of their culture, language and shared heritage understood the myths and the core themes.

It is arrogance to believe that you can retell Norse myths. You are not a skald, you are not of their culture, you do not understand nuances of their mythology their cults or their language, you do not even speak a modern Scandinavian language, let alone read Old Norse. In short you are not qualified to either retell the myths or understand the themes enough to keep the core themes intact.

As for keep the overall theme intact, why do you think there is so much academic discussion on the Norse myths? The themes are not well understood and they are subject of debate and discussion within the academic community, even they can't agree on core themes.

And if you know the difference, why then did you describe an object that is not gold, is engraved rather than stamped, has jewel fittings, and is not a coin of currency as a bracteate?

Duh! Because your link didn't work for me, until I lucked across it in files. I hadn't seen the picture of the find when I wrote the post.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Did you read the Norse Mythology Blog?
Yes, and it is irrelevant to this thread of discussion. Go back to Post #97, where your post (#95) is quoted, where you stated that "not even Snorri lists him among the gods." You were shown to be wrong in this; it is as plain as that.

Regarding the blog that you linked to, yes I read it. As well as part two. Not once does the author of the blog say definitively "Loki is not a god". The closest it gets is the dismantling of titles like "god of fire" or "god of mischief". (At great effort, I scoured every Edda, Saga, and lay; to mirror this dismantling with Thor, not once is the phrase "god of thunder" used.) In Norse culture, the gods are not "gods of [attribute]"; that is more a Grecco-Roman cultural styling. A problem that you might be facing, using this blog as evidence, is that where Dr. Siegfried more often than not uses "god", he should more accurately use Æsir. Wording is used such as "Loki becomes the enemy of the gods," yet through action of the Ragnarok, he becomes the enemy of Æsir, Vanir and Jötunn. And saying that while Loki hangs out with the [Æsir], he is not one of them is not contested, however the Æsir are not the only ones regarded as gods; the Vanir are as well, as well as several jotnar besides Loki. He may not be of Æsir or Vanir blood, but as he is named among them in honor and authority, he is named as of the Æsir Tribe.

Dr. Siegfried is also incorrect with his mention of the Snaptun stone, as vertical lines are clearly seen in the top as well as the bottom; forming lines across a horizontal mouth. When faces are depicted in Norse artwork, mouths are either closed or, in case of the Bitterstad pendants, open without detail (for purpose of jewel fitting.)

I put the bold on here in my reply because if that was a link it goes nowhere, I pushed and touched it....nothing!
Blue text is a link. I placed bold for emphasis, to highlight a quote of your own statements.

it's irrelevant cause we both know the "fan boys and girls" is your fabrication or implication.
Post #95, where you missed a quoting format. Click the "read more", and read your own words in the large quote block; Lines 13 and 14, fourth paragraph. I cannot point you to your own statements with any greater accuracy, and your claim here that it is a fabrication of mine is false.

Loki is a Modern cult as opposed to a reconstruction of an old cult, all the evidence points to this. Eclectic modern cult that is the sum total of my feeling on this issue.
Then your feelings on this issue are anthropologically incorrect. Used in the sense that you are implementing the word "cult," it refers to a localized priesthood in devotional worship to a single deity, and abstinence from several social comforts in tending of their temple. (e.g. the various Greek cults). Those who worship Loki often worship other deities of the Norse as well. Secondly your use of the word "eclectic" remains fallacious in that their sources are Norse. None other. Eclecticism - as was defined for you - is a practice that implements and merges several (more than two) independent sources, practices, cultures, or pantheons. Lastly, being modern does not make it "artificial".

Now that link worked. Once was enough!
And do you now understand what "Armchair Heathen" means? Does it apply to you?

Odd, that those keywords did not appear in my searches. I suppose letter case is considered.

In any regards, I said them. Let's look at this statement in context.

Everything that we have today has developed from a modern worldview; it's almost impossible not to. And as also noted above, with 64% of the global community they're not just the "most important unit" in their Heathen society, they're the only unit. I don't feel it helpful or right to tell people that the gods won't answer them because they haven't racked up the requisite number of brownie points; to me that is a deterrent statement born from a sense of elitism.
Oh, the vileness of my words. Children and maidens, cover thine eyes!

Can you - will you - actually address what is said, beyond "you're being a great big meanie to other Heathens!"? Are you one of these elitists who think to reserve whom the gods speak with to your discretion and approval?

You feel their condescending because you don't like to be contradicted, get used to it.
Fun fact; telling me what I think is condescension.

This is an English speaking site, so why on earth would you give me a link to a Norwegian Masters thesis? You are either playing with me, didn't realize it was in Norwegian because you didn't bother open it or you got your information second or third hand.
Because thus far that's all there is. Why does it bother you, apparently you can speak Norwegian as you saw fit to mock at me in Norwegian. The facts are the facts as presented, and are all that is available as you are not a member of the group in which discussion was held over the findings, and thus cannot take part.

This is what I meant about molehills. There actually exists no rule posted enforcing a strict English language use. In essence, while English is predominately used it is a stretch to say that it is an English speaking site. Secondly, online translators are a thing. While they aren't perfect, you can get the gist of what is said well enough to glean information. Lastly, you continue to make false and unjustified assumptions about me fitting your own personal bias. This needs to stop.

Find me the exact paragraph in the source you gave me
De två hängsmyckena är så långt jag har kunnat finna ut unika, i det att inga likadana har blivit funna tidigare. Avbildningar av ansikten är inte ovanligt under både äldre och yngre järnåldern (Sivertsvik 2015), men att mun och ögon har blivit stöpta som hål och sedan ifyllda med granat har jag inte kunnat hitta några referenser till. Vanligen så är dessa avbildade direkt i konstruktionen av smycket och inte som ett sekundärt konstruktionselement. Likaså har jag inte kunnat hitta några referenser till denna typ av stämpling av ansiktsmycken, även om det är mycket möjligt att detta existerar på andra typer av objekt. Smyckena bör ses som en relativt realistisk avbildning av ett ansikte, inte minst om de trekantiga stämplarna skall föreställa hår. Inläggen av granater är även de en mycket intressant detalj då denna sten ofta har setts som att ha magiska egenskaper och även symbolisera eld (Arrhenius 1997).

In English (via Google Translate):

The two pendants are so far I've found unique, because no similar ones have been found before. Imagery of faces is not uncommon during both the elder age and the younger age (Sivertsvik 2015), but the mouth and eyes have been punched and then filled with garnet, I have not been able to find any other examples. Usually, these are depicted directly in the design of the jewelry and not as a secondary design element. Likewise, I have not been able to find any references to this kind of stamping of facial jewelry, although it is very possible that this exists on other types of objects. The jewelry should be seen as a relatively realistic image of a face, especially if the triangular stamps are to represent hair. The posts of garnets are also a very interesting detail, since this stone has often been seen as having magical properties and also symbolizing fire (Arrhenius 1997).

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Find me the exact paragraph in the source you gave me
Detta för oss vidare till de andra smyckena med granatinlägg. Fragmenten av smycket som består av Ts13785.249 och .348 är för små för att vi säkert skall kunna säga så mycket om det. Men de två ansiktssmyckena Ts12308.1 och Ts13785.345 går det att utveckla del tankar en om. Vi har redan diskuterat dem en del i kapitlet innan men jag skulle här vilja nämna dem i samband med granater. Mixen med ansiktssmycken och granater inlagda i ögon och mun är vad jag kunnat finna rätt speciell. Ingen av de ansiktsmycken som Sivertsvik går igenom i sin masteroppgave har något liknande. På de som är avbildade så är ögonen och munnen alltid en del av konstruktionen av smycket, inte utformade som hål som på smyckena ifrån Bitterstad. Detta med brasklappen att jag inte själv sett alla ansiktsmycken från denna tid. Men även om det inte är unikt så är det åtminstone mycket ovanligt. Att smeden sedan valt att lägga in granater i ögon och mun är också det mycket speciellt. Ofta har smycken av denna typ tolkats som att avbilda någon gud, inte sällan med en oproblematiserad hänvisning till Odin, även om en del kritik har framförts mot detta (Sivertsvik 2015, s 63-67 och där hänvisad litteratur). Jag skall här lägga fram den inte oproblematiska idén att ansiktssmyckena ifrån Bitterstad kan föreställa Loke. Det är främst två ting som kan peka på detta. För det första är det granaterna själva. Dessa har, som vi varit inne på flera gånger, historiskt ofta relaterats till eld. Eld är något som även Loke ofta sammankopplas med, ibland så sägs det till och med att hans namn skall betyda eld, även om inte detta är etymologiskt klarlagt (Holtsmark 1970, s 111-112). Den andra intressanta detaljen är smidesstenen från Snaptun på Jylland som avbildar Loke efter att han fått sin mun igensydd av dvärgen Brokk (Jørgensen 2010, s 149-150). Åter så finner vi relationen eld och Loke nära sammankopplad. En stor mängd med litteratur har även i det senaste diskuterat smedens roll i samhället och dennes samband med magi och död (se exempelvis Jørgensen 2015; Østigård 2007).

In English (via Google Translate):

This brings us to the other pieces of garnet. The fragments of the jewelry consisting of Ts13785.249 and .348 are too small to make sure we can say so much about it. But the two facial expressions Ts12308.1 and Ts13785.345 are able to develop part thoughts one more. We have already discussed them in the chapter before, but I would like to mention them in connection with the garnets. The mix of facial jewelry and garnets in the eyes and mouth is what I found to be the right one. None of the facial jewelry that Sivertsvik goes through in his master's thesis has anything like that. On those who are depicted, the eyes and mouth are always part of the design of the jewelry, not designed as holes as on the jewelry from Bitterstad. This with the good luck that I did not even see all the facial jewelry from this time. But even if it's not unique, it's at least very rare. That the blacksmith then chose to put in grenades in the eyes and mouth is also very special. Often jewelry of this type has been interpreted as depicting a god, not seldom with an unrelated reference to Odin, although some criticisms have been made against this (Sivertsvik 2015, pp. 63-67 and there referenced literature). I will present the idea that the facial pieces from Bitterstad can represent Loke. There are two things that can point to this. First of all, it's the garnets themselves. These, as we have been in on several occasions, have historically often been related to fire. Fire is something that Loke is often associated with, sometimes it even says that his name should mean fire, even though this is not etymologically cleared (Holtsmark 1970, 111-112). The other interesting detail is the hearth stone from Snaptun in Jutland, depicting Loke after he got his mouth bound by the dwarf Brokk (Jørgensen 2010, s 149-150). Again, we find the relationship of fire and Loke closely linked. A large amount of literature has also recently discussed the role of blacksmiths in society and its connection with magic and death (see, for example, Jørgensen 2015; Østigård 2007).

The garnets linked with fire is the authors assumption and even if they are, which is not supported anywhere else I can find
Did you try the works of Birgit Arrhenius? That the author references garnets with magic and fire indicates that it is not an assumption.

the name Loki is not associated etymologically with fire, ergo faulty logic. But if you had read the Norse Mythology Blog I left you you would know that.
The author of the Bitterstad report noted that Loki is "often associated" with fire, and that it is etymologically unclear. An archeological report versus a blog... I'll take the report.

I am fully aware of the conflation of Loki and Logi regarding principles of fire stemming from the story that is found in Snorri's Prose Edda alone. Regardless, fire is the small point that you've latched onto here, and more importantly, is a claim that I did not make. The more important is that garnets were associated with magical principles, as well Loki being a god no stranger to sorcery in the myths.

Dude use a dictionary or a source for the meaning and etymology of words.
Dude, I have a dictionary. Stop assuming that I'm illiterate or have some ridiculous fear of reading.

eclec•tic adj.

(formal) not following one style or set of ideas but choosing from or using a wide variety.

(Oxford English Dictionary)

Eclectic Like your eclectic retelling of a Norse creation myth, with obvious errors and moral commentary ( tainted, good heart etc).
Let me clarify again to be absolutely clear: the retelling that I have written down in my tome. I do not recall where I heard it from, do not claim to have authored it myself, yet - before you leap plagiarism - do not need to because mythology is public domain. Yet in regards to this, you did not provide correction for supposed "errors" - rather you simply objected to the words used - and you have also completely ignored explanations completely relevant to Norse myth that were given for the "moral commentary".

Eclectic Like equating Jormungandr to the forces inside the earths core
You must be referencing my thread Jormungandr in where I pose a theory, rather than stating it as so. You also might want to familiarize yourself with Rule #1. If you take issue with this theory posed as a theory, put it in that thread; it's why it's there.

Eclectic Like this " Asgard is enamoured with Baldr, and nothing changes. Summer reigns eternal, crops fail unattended, Midgard suffers as all attention is paid to Baldr". Which owes more to the Wicca Wheel of the Year than Norse mythology.
Ah yes, from A question about the Norse Gods where I mentioned planning to re-write the myth from a perspective closer to Loki's. However writing a Winter-Summer cycle and dichotomy is far closer to Norse myth and culture than the Wiccan wheel of the year. See, they acknowledge Autumn and Spring besides; the Norse did not. It is also supported by Norse mythology that Baldr comes back to life. You also show bias in that this exact myth was re-written by Saxo Grammaticus as the heroes Balderus and Hotherus competing for Nanna. Was that eclectic and "not Norse myth" as well?

Eclectic Like this "Loki, seeing this damaging stagnation, knew that the natural order - chaotic change - was necessary. Winter must come, men must harvest the crops to prepare for it, and they must know that summer will return again to tide them through the winter" once again is wiccatru.
Explain, otherwise this is just baseless slander.

Dude the Norse gods as vegetation gods or dying and rising seasonal gods was debunked decades ago by Jan de Vries.
Dude, linguists don't dictate theology, and this is a claim that you need to back up with evidence. Yet even beyond this, I think you need to show how and why all this is not so, beyond "The Lore™ says so". Disprove conclusively the seasonal tides and associations of them to the gods.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
QUOTE=]It is unlikely that Loki was an Icelandic god for four reasons:

1. There is archeological existence that supports the Myth of Loki outside of Iceland, here I am talking about the Kirky Stephen Stone and the Gosforth Cross,
And this shows that Loki wasn't a god of Iceland.. how? These pair of 10th Century crosses indicate that the vikings traveled, or rather that stories of their myths did.

Iceland was only ever nominally Heathen,
I think you really need to back that up.

it was settled in the second half of the 9th C. and accepted Christianity in 999, by arbitration of the Althing,
In 2016 a longhouse was found dating to around the year 800. That's far from the "second half" of the Ninth Century. Garðar Svavarsson was the first to circumnavigate Iceland, but your statement is like saying that America was unsettled before Lief Eriksson found it. Yes, Iceland adopted Christianity in the years 999-1000, yet Norse paganism persisted for years afterward, and the agreement of the Althing made concessions to the pagan community; namely that private worship and sacrifice was to remain legal. Why legally protect a cultural belief in name only?

For that matter, why would the Icelanders become outraged at the preaching of the missionary Þangbrandr, if they were heathen in name only? Why would both sides at the 998 Althing insult each other's gods, if the Icelanders were only nominally Heathen?

The is zero archeology or placename evidence to support the assertion that Loki was ever culted in Iceland or that he was an Icelandic god
Uh, no. From Wikipedia:

The notion of Loki survived into the modern period in the folklore of Scandinavia. In Denmark, Loki appeared as Lokke. In Jutland, the phrases "Lokke slår sin havre" ("Lokke is reaping his oats") and "Lokkemand driver sine geder" ("Lokkemand drives his goats") are thereby recorded in the beginning of the 20th century, the latter with the variation of simply "Lokke". In Zealand the name "Lokke lejemand" ("Lokke the Playing Man") was used. In his study of Loki's appearance in Scandinavian folklore in the modern period, Danish folklorist Axel Olrik cites numerous examples of natural phenomena explained by way of Lokke in popular folk tradition, including rising heat. An example from 1841 reads as follows:

The expressions: "Lokke (Lokki) sår havre i dag" (Lokke (Lokki) sows oats today), or: "Lokke driver i dag med sine geder" (Lokke herds his goats today), are used in several regions of Jutland, for example in Medelsom shire, the diocese of Viborg etc. ... and stand for the sight in the springtime, when the sunshine generates vapour from the ground, which can be seen as fluttering or shimmering air in the horizon of the flat landscape, similar to the hot steam over a kettle or a burning fire​

And in Thy, from the same source: "... when you look at the horizon in clear weather and sunshine, and the air seems to move in shimmering waves, or like a sheet of water which seems to rise and sink in waves." Olrik further cites several different types of plants named after Loki. Olrik detects three major themes in folklore attestations; Lokke appeared as an "air phenomenon", connected with the "home fire", and as a "teasing creature of the night".

Loka Táttur or Lokka Táttur (Faroese "tale—or þáttr—of Loki") is a Faroese ballad dating to the late Middle Ages that features the gods Loki, Odin, and Hœnir helping a farmer and a boy escape the wrath of a bet-winning jötunn. The tale notably features Loki as a benevolent god in this story, although his slyness is in evidence as usual.

There is also this blog as well.

Some of the poems of the Poetic Edda predate the settlement of Iceland.
Then his origin might be outside Iceland. He's still an Icelandic god.

You are right Re: Bede; I mistook him for Saxo.

The Norse myths were originally oral, told by skalds,
Certainly famously, but as they're oral you don't really have evidence that they were not told elsewhere. Skalds were the entertainers of the time, like television today, and stories spread. There is evidence of these stories all throughout Scandinavia, and all of them differ here and there; like a game of telephone. Is this through misunderstanding? You suggest that the arch-heathens - by virtue of their culture - understood the myths. Yet the cultural evidence of these differences suggests that they were not a solid constant, and changed to reflect the culture telling the story.

So who are you to say that a modern telling, with modern culture, is wrong? Who are you to accuse such as arrogance, and assumedly zealously guard the myths? Do you know their nuances, can you speak Old Norse? If so, why are you hoarding that information and culture, rather than sharing it? Why are you not correcting errors, rather than just saying "no that's wrong"?

Duh! Because your link didn't work for me, until I lucked across it in files. I hadn't seen the picture of the find when I wrote the post.

Hildeburh

And this shows that Loki wasn't a god of Iceland.. how? These pair of 10th Century crosses indicate that the vikings traveled, or rather that stories of their myths did.

Touché dude, the Vikings travelled to England and took their myths with them, except the Vikings that settled in England were Norse and Danish not Icelandic.

I would think that zero evidence of a cult of Loki in Iceland would have been enough, but obviously not. Perhaps you could do some of your own research and provide evidence that there was a cult of Loki in Iceland. Simply stating it as if it were fact just ain't going to cut the mustard.

In 2016 a longhouse was found dating to around the year 800. That's far from the "second half" of the Ninth Century. Garðar Svavarsson was the first to circumnavigate Iceland, but your statement is like saying that America was unsettled before Lief Eriksson found it. Yes, Iceland adopted Christianity in the years 999-1000, yet Norse paganism persisted for years afterward, and the agreement of the Althing made concessions to the pagan community; namely that private worship and sacrifice was to remain legal. Why legally protect a cultural belief in name only?.

Dude the year 801 is the start of the 9th C. The Book of Settlements state that Ingólfur Arnarson established himself in Iceland in 874 (ergo the late 9th C.) and the first visit to visit Iceland was Gardar the Swede in 860 CE ( ergo the mid 9th C.) Even though I'm wasting my time giving you references, here's a timeline for you:

History

You need to think your replies through before you post.

For that matter, why would the Icelanders become outraged at the preaching of the missionary Þangbrandr, if they were heathen in name only? Why would both sides at the 998 Althing insult each other's gods, if the Icelanders were only nominally Heathen?.

????? Don't know or care he's a footnote in history. The Althing voted for Christianity in the year 999, end of story. Which means Icelanders were Heathen for, what 100 or so years, I'm sure Xtrianity took a while to trickle down but let's not kid ourselves Xtrianity was the public religion of Iceland, almost at its inception.

"It was proclaimed at the Althing that all people will be Xtrian and all those not baptised would be baptised. The old laws would stand in regard to eating horse meat and to the exposure of children. People had the right to sacrifice in secret but if witnessed would be punished by lesser outlawry. A few years after these provisions were abolished like all the others".
Anders Winroth; The Conversion of Scandinavia

There is also this blog as well..

Yay I can open the link, but wish I had not. Dude, it's written by a Lokean, so not the biased or one sided in the least! Find an academic source, one which does not have an axe in the fire.

Here's a guide to assessing sources:
Evaluating Internet Resources | Georgetown University Library

Your flogging a dead horse, Loki was not a god, no evidence of a cult. Sorry, but you and the Lokeans simply do not know better than the academics that make a living from studying Norse mythology and archeology.

Then his origin might be outside Iceland. He's still an Icelandic god.

Oh! Changed your mind again. There's a modern cult in Iceland where is your evidence for a Heathen cult in Iceland?

You are right Re: Bede; I mistook him for Saxo.

Clearly.

Certainly famously, but as they're oral you don't really have evidence that they were not told elsewhere. Skalds were the entertainers of the time, like television today, and stories spread. There is evidence of these stories all throughout Scandinavia, and all of them differ here and there; like a game of telephone. Is this through misunderstanding? You suggest that the arch-heathens - by virtue of their culture - understood the myths. Yet the cultural evidence of these differences suggests that they were not a solid constant, and changed to reflect the culture telling the story. So who are you to say that a modern telling, with modern culture, is wrong? Who are you to accuse such as arrogance, and assumedly zealously guard the myths? Do you know their nuances, can you speak Old Norse? If so, why are you hoarding that information and culture, rather than sharing it? Why are you not correcting errors, rather than just saying "no that's wrong"?

How would they have differed? What were the core elements? What were the underlying assumptions? These things cannot be answered by us we did not live their culture, good greif even the academics can't agree.

I've been trying real hard to share my knowledge with you, but seriously it's like banging my head on a brick wall. I would not presume to rewrite the myths, neither would the academics, and these people interpret myths for a living. Countless academics, have shared their knowlege, which is why you get to read the myths, some of them like the author of the Norse Mythology Blog summarise evidence so that it is accessible to people like us.

Making stuff up does not enrich Heathenry it makes us a laughing stock. So far you have had a discerning audience of one (me) and the feedback on your attempts has not been stellar. So keep it up dude, believe me there are far worse critics than me out there.

Last edited:

Hildeburh

Yes, and it is irrelevant to this thread of discussion. Go back to Post #97, where your post (#95) is quoted, where you stated that "not even Snorri lists him among the gods." You were shown to be wrong in this; it is as plain as that. Dr. Siegfried is also incorrect with his mention of the Snaptun stone, as vertical lines are clearly seen in the top as well as the bottom; forming lines across a horizontal mouth. When faces are depicted in Norse artwork, mouths are either closed or, in case of the Bitterstad pendants, open without detail (for purpose of jewel fitting.)

Dr Siegfried is incorrect! and what university did you get your PhD in Norse mythology. Arrogant much! Read the blog:

"In Snorri Sturluson’s Edda, it says that Loki is “numbered among the Æsir [the gods].” The language is important; Loki may hang out with the gods in several myths, but he is not one of them. He is the son of a giant, and – in the world of the myths – kinship is reckoned through your line of fathers. As a giant, Loki actually belongs to the family of the gods’ greatest enemies. In the end, he sides with his birth family against his adopted family.

I’d also like to point out that Loki is not the adopted son of Odin; that’s an idea from Marvel Comics, not Norse mythology. We’re not talking about an adopted son attacking the man who raised and nurtured him. The myths tell us that Loki is the blood-brother of Odin. They swore allegiance, which implies that they are at least somewhat on equal terms and that they may have started as enemies on either side of the god/giant divide. Loki’s attack on the gods violates the oath of brotherhood that he took with Odin – as does his causing the murder of Balder, who actually is one of Odin’s sons. Oath-breaking and murder were (and are) very serious crimes. In Norse culture, Loki would have been seen as an outlaw; he was someone who committed crimes that meant he could no longer be part of society."

Yep! Sound like a

Then your feelings on this issue are anthropologically incorrect. Used in the sense that you are implementing the word "cult," it refers to a localized priesthood in devotional worship to a single deity, and abstinence from several social comforts in tending of their temple. (e.g. the various Greek cults). Those who worship Loki often worship other deities of the Norse as well. Secondly your use of the word "eclectic" remains fallacious in that their sources are Norse. None other. Eclecticism - as was defined for you - is a practice that implements and merges several (more than two) independent sources, practices, cultures, or pantheons. Lastly, being modern does not make it "artificial".

Cult
A
system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religiousreverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
cult

Cult
1610s, "worship," also "a particular form of worship," from French culte (17c.), from Latin cultus "care, labor; cultivation, culture; worship, reverence," originally "tended, cultivated," past participle of colere "to till" (see colony). Rare after 17c.; revived mid-19c. with reference to ancient or primitive rituals. Meaning "a devotion to a person or thing" is from 1829.

cult | Origin and meaning of cult by Online Etymology Dictionary

I'm done with the rest, its beneath both of us. This will be my last post in this thread. If you want to thrash issues out any futher take it to the Heathenry DIR.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So because you were shown your own words and that you were wrong, it's now "beneath you" to acknowledge. Okay.

the Vikings that settled in England were Norse and Danish not Icelandic.
And? It’s not like Iceland was a penal colony; people do travel. Not only this, but the crosses that you cite are only assumed to be Loki. An assumption that is weakened in that the crosses are decidedly Christian, using imagery that is assumed to be from Norse myth. And still, even if those from Norway and Denmark settled in England, while Iceland didn’t, and Loki was known elsewhere it doesn’t change that Loki was an Icelandic deity

I would think that zero evidence of a cult of Loki in Iceland would have been enough, but obviously not.
There’s also “zero evidence” of cults of Baldur, Frigga, Heimdallr, Bragi, Idunn, so I suppose their not deities either, right? I mean, that’s the basis of your claim, really; “no cult, not a god”. You also practically demand that I provide evidence that there was a cult of Loki, only – and this is important – I’ve never claimed there was.

Dude the year 801 is the start of the 9th C.
Okay, and? See, again you’re objecting, but not contradicting anything. There was a longhouse found in Iceland dating to the year 800. A longhouse, mind you, not a hut; longhouses require a lot of people to build, and house a lot as well. Still, not a statement on settlement, but that’s a lot of people. Secondly, the year 800 is a far ways away from the “second half” of the century.

These are facts that you haven’t disproven, and the timeline that you give doesn’t contradict them either. For the year 860 it says that Norsemen discovered Iceland. It does not say who or how. You’re nit-picking for sake of nit-picking, and then have the gall to tell me that I need to think before I post. Reason 1 for why I’m done with this discussion, and you until you revise your tactics.

Don't know or care he's a footnote in history. The Althing voted for Christianity in the year 999, end of story.
How academic of you. Yet this “footnote in history” is the one who incited rising anger and division among the Christian and pagan Icelanders, resulting in an Althing. According to Christopher Abram’s book Myths of the Pagan North: The Gods of the Norsemen, the Althing regarding Christianization met in 998, and that Christianity was adopted (with concessions,) the following year. Your timeline does not contradict that, citing 999 as the year that Christianity was adopted.

And while Icelanders themselves might have been pagan for only a century or so, this ignores that Iceland was a nation for only a century or so, up until that point. Your wording makes it sound like a passing phase, when Scandinavian cultural beliefs (“arch-Heathenry” ) had roots far back to those who in part settled the island.

Neither was Christianity the “public religion” of Iceland since its foundation. Were this so, then missionaries would not have been needed or sent. With no monarchy, there was no way to enforce a “public religion”. Until that “footnote in history” incited nationwide anger, the two religions co-existed. So really, you’re kidding yourself with that narrative.

Yay I can open the link, but wish I had not. Dude, it's written by a Lokean, so not the biased or one sided in the least! Find an academic source, one which does not have an axe in the fire.
That’s very prejudiced of you. Especially when that blog gave sources, and Dr. Seigfried did not. Of which, (while he has done a great deal of work for the Heathen Community, including help in the Illustrated Hávamál and Völuspá,) the Norse Mythology Blog is a blog, not an academic source.

I would not presume to rewrite the myths, neither would the academics, and these people interpret myths for a living.
And yet Snorri famously did. Yet re-telling myths is not something that needs the approval of academics; Denmark famously retold many of the Norse myths in their Valhalla comic series in 1979, which was made into an animated movie in 1986. Wagner retold his own versions in the early 20th Century for his operas. I’ve even heard speculation that Snow White is a rendition of Freyja’s encounters with the dwarves to get Brísingamen. Every time that Norse myth (or any myth, for that matter) is simplified for children or younger audiences, it is re-written and retold.

You might not “presume” to rewrite or retell myths if they stray from the hammered path of Snorri, but that’s you.

So far you have had a discerning audience of one (me) and the feedback on your attempts has not been stellar.
On this forum. Yet again, your assuming a great deal. And practically none of the feedback that you’ve given has been “stellar”, so it’s not something that I’m sweating a great deal.

Yep! Sound like a
And by this neutered definition as given, Roman Catholicism – with all its numbers and depth – is a “cult”. What it leaves out is that in such a religious use (formal), cults are focused in to one deity out of many; or in terms of Christian monotheism the veneration of one Saint apart from the others. Yet again, your objections are just empty flailing, and don’t actually contradict anything that I said.