• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a Product of our Minds

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
For quite some years I have always held the assumption that god is merely a product of our own thoughts. For many years I stopped believing in a personal god and after that I enjoyed using god symbolically. Regardless of my past religious affiliations I doubted the existence of spirits, jinn, angels, miracles, revelation and divine claims. I always doubted them and tried to constantly reassure myself of their existence but I couldn't delude myself anymore and this has gone on for a couple of years.

I enjoy using the word God symbolically in a panentheistic concept to refer to consciousness and the world we live in collectively. I liked Deism for its strong foundation in reason but at the same time I disliked it because the arguments for Deism concluded more than they should(thus not rational any more).

Any concept of god to me has always been symbolic although I have treated the world as if it is divine or at least divinely created. I love the usage of myths and holy writ as forms of inspiration and propagating ideas but by no means do I think they are divine or that any such divinity exists in any form that people assume. I do not believe int he metaphysical god and never have but instead I have held to a very materialistic god that never exits this boundary.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
For quite some years I have always held the assumption that god is merely a product of our own thoughts.

We do 'conceptualize Deity, yes. Whether that is our own wishful rhinking or not is the issue of debate.
For many years I stopped believing in a personal god and after that I enjoyed using god symbolically. Regardless of my past religious affiliations I doubted the existence of spirits, jinn, angels, miracles, revelation and divine claims. I always doubted them and tried to constantly reassure myself of their existence but I couldn't delude myself anymore and this has gone on for a couple of years.
This seems to be pretty common. However, it doesn't necessarily mean you are correct, rather that that is your own perception.
I enjoy using the word God symbolically in a panentheistic concept to refer to consciousness and the world we live in collectively. I liked Deism for its strong foundation in reason but at the same time I disliked it because the arguments for Deism concluded more than they should(thus not rational any more).
Panentheism is generally theistic, that's why 'theism' is part of that term.

Any concept of god to me has always been symbolic
Basically, that's not panentheism.
although I have treated the world as if it is divine or at least divinely created.
Didn't you just say you viewed deity 'symbolically'?
I love the usage of myths and holy writ as forms of inspiration and propagating ideas but by no means do I think they are divine or that any such divinity exists in any form that people assume. I do not believe int he metaphysical god and never have but instead I have held to a very materialistic god that never exits this boundary.

I don't see how you are referring that to any type of deity. Sounds like atheism...confused by your wording here..

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
We do 'conceptualize Deity, yes. Whether that is our own wishful rhinking or not is the issue of debate.

This seems to be pretty common. However, it doesn't necessarily mean you are correct, rather that that is your own perception.

Panentheism is generally theistic, that's why 'theism' is part of that term.

I am aware of this

Basically, that's not panentheism.

What does symbology and panentheism have to do with anything? I never said I believe in anything literally.

Didn't you just say you viewed deity 'symbolically'?

Mhm. Out of the age of ignorance but still in the age of mythology

I don't see how you are referring that to any type of deity. Sounds like atheism...confused by your wording here..

I do not believe in the literal existence of any god. I find it amusing and poetic but not real. I do not see the part that is confusing but then again I am just rambling because my posting abilities have dwindled

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What exactly isn't a product of our minds?

Unless you're one of those people who believes that all of reality is an illusory fabrication and there's no objective reality that we commonly experience, practically everything. Including any gods that literally refer to various aspects of objective reality. This is why I have a hard time getting people who talk about gods being "made up" by people. The implication from my theology is equivalent to suggesting humans "made up" the sun, the sea, and the sky. It's slightly ridiculous unless you think objective reality as a whole doesn't exist and we're all stuck in The Matrix or some such rut. And even then I still find it ridiculous.

Nymphs

Yep. The idea of god(s) and the supernatural are definitely the products of the human mind.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What exactly isn't a product of our minds?

Flatulence :shrug:? :D

When I say product of our mind I am referring to the fact that people use gods to explain things which require no further imagination. For a very long time the thought of a round earth eluded mankind

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Unless you're one of those people who believes that all of reality is an illusory fabrication and there's no objective reality that we commonly experience, practically everything. Including any gods that literally refer to various aspects of objective reality. This is why I have a hard time getting people who talk about gods being "made up" by people. The implication from my theology is equivalent to suggesting humans "made up" the sun, the sea, and the sky. It's slightly ridiculous unless you think objective reality as a whole doesn't exist and we're all stuck in The Matrix or some such rut. And even then I still find it ridiculous.

Point to Zeus, pint to Athena and tell me where they are, how they look like and when is the last time Athena caved Zeus's head in ;)(you should know this story).

I am a staunch idealist I will add but I do not believe that objectivity eludes us. I just think subjectivity gets in the way.

Also how can I make up the sun with I can see it right in the sky above me. I have never encountered a Yahweh, Cthulhu , al-Kutbay, or Manat

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I was hoping for this thread to address a Tulpa god. Ah well.

Panentheism or pantheism doesn't really need to be literal, the point gets a cross the same when God is treated symbolically. In my opinion? My pantheism is quite literal, I view the universe to work like a body of a creature, and that the sum of all events (the way things happen exactly as they do, the entire system of verbs in the entirety of existence, everything that happens) to be the way God is conscious. It's not conscious the same way we are, but it certainly seems like a form of consciousness to me.

All in all, when you believe in God in a respective manner, then God needn't be literal, perhaps God needn't be real at all. I can't help but think God wants us to live indifferent to him, while at the same time not exactly separate.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I was hoping for this thread to address a Tulpa god. Ah well.

Panentheism or pantheism doesn't really need to be literal, the point gets a cross the same when God is treated symbolically. In my opinion? My pantheism is quite literal, I view the universe to work like a body of a creature, and that the sum of all events (the way things happen exactly as they do, the entire system of verbs in the entirety of existence, everything that happens) to be the way God is conscious. It's not conscious the same way we are, but it certainly seems like a form of consciousness to me.

All in all, when you believe in God in a respective manner, then God needn't be literal, perhaps God needn't be real at all. I can't help but think God wants us to live indifferent to him, while at the same time not exactly separate.

I actually am sort of referring to some similar to tulpa although I am not exactly familiar with Buddhism really :). I am essentially saying that any concept of god is essentially a personality we have created ourselves. God is merely a projection of our minds and things we want.
What really astonishes me though is that god is our most sanest delusion.

Thana

Lady
I actually am sort of referring to some similar to tulpa although I am not exactly familiar with Buddhism really :). I am essentially saying that any concept of god is essentially a personality we have created ourselves. God is merely a projection of our minds and things we want.
What really astonishes me though is that god is our most sanest delusion.

Well, That doesn't really explain Gnostics though, Does it? Nor does it explain hell. I mean, I don't think that anyone who believes in these things actually wants these things, And yet they still believe them?

So how can God/s be projections of what we want when they're not really what we want?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well, That doesn't really explain Gnostics though, Does it? Nor does it explain hell. I mean, I don't think that anyone who believes in these things actually wants these things, And yet they still believe them?

So how can God/s be projections of what we want when they're not really what we want?

You are merely abiding by what you believe, what you are taught and what you have read.

I am also specifically addressing liberal theists. Also many Christians are trying to say that Jesus does not send people to hell and this is rather common. You also are making a god a product of your own mind by denying any sort of evidence on the lack of the nonexistence of your own god. You are still making god true by mere delusion

Thana

Lady
You are merely abiding by what you believe, what you are taught and what you have read.

I am also specifically addressing liberal theists. Also many Christians are trying to say that Jesus does not send people to hell and this is rather common. You also are making a god a product of your own mind by denying any sort of evidence on the lack of the nonexistence of your own god. You are still making god true by mere delusion

Regardless, The mere concept of hell faults your reasoning.

First you say it's because we want it, Now you say it's because we're taught it? Which is it?

What do I deny? As far as I'm aware, There is no evidence of God's non-existence.

chinu

chinu
@ God is a Product of our Minds
Yes, human mind is capable of producing/designing something by collecting different things, or by increasing or decreasing size/counting of things. But only the things which he has already seen.

For example: Human mind is capable of designing any animal with 91 eyes, 51 legs, 48 arms, 23 wings etc.. But its just the imagination-collection of many different things at one point which he has already seen.

Human Mind isn't capable of producing/designing something which he has never seen. Than how is it possible producing God ? :)

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
People do actually want Hell to exist. Not for the chance of going there, the vast majority of people that I have spoken to that believe in Hell seem to hold no possibility that they will end up there. They believe because they want justice to be served ultimately. The world is full of wicked people who escape justice consistently. But you can't escape divine justice. That's why people want Hell to exist. To punish those that will escape punishment in life.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Regardless, The mere concept of hell faults your reasoning.

First you say it's because we want it, Now you say it's because we're taught it? Which is it?

What do I deny? As far as I'm aware, There is no evidence of God's non-existence.

Hell is just part of a belief system. Different gods exist for different reasons - just because they're products of the mind doesn't mean each individual creates their own. Gods can both be created and taught, they're still mental constructs. The reason for ideas such a hell imply those who thought up the Christian god wanted control through fear.