• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is a liar?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

"I mean does God like good because it is good or is it good because God likes it?"

Euthyphro dilemma

"Is it moral because it's good or is it moral because God commands it"

riley2112

The ancient Greek philosopher Euthyphro developed a theory of moral correctness stating that, “what is pleasing to the gods is holy, and what is not pleasing to them is unholy.” In other words, “what God approves of is morally right, and what God disapproves of is morally wrong.” This form of thought, known as the Divine Command Theory, is perhaps among the most basic of theories relating morality and religion. Plato challenged this conjecture by asking, “Is what is morally right, right because God approves of it or commands it, or rather, does God command it because it is right?” Both possibilities are contradictory to the theory itself by imposing conditions that result in the disproving of God. This question, known as the Euthyphro dilemma, has no commonly accepted solutions, but has some value in explaining and developing more acceptable theories. The problems encountered are particularly useful in refuting the Divine Command Theory.

(The Euthyphro Dilemma Explained, and a Universal Definition of God.)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Faith, observations, analysis.. Some of each. I've heard plenty of refutations. None have convinced me otherwise.

Blackdog22

Faith, observations, analysis.. Some of each. I've heard plenty of refutations. None have convinced me otherwise.

So God is good because you believe he is good? If I believe God is bad does that make him bad?

You have observed and analyzed God? I think that deserves a Nobel Prize. Would you mind posting what he looks like and the results of your analysis?

edit: By, "Results of your analysis," I mean what did you analyze that led to God = good?

Last edited:

riley2112

So God is good because you believe he is good? If I believe God is bad does that make him bad?

You have observed and analyzed God? I think that deserves a Nobel Prize. Would you mind posting what he looks like and the results of your analysis?

edit: By, "Results of your analysis," I mean what did you analyze that led to God = good?
I too know he is good. I too have observed his works. As for what he looks like , well he is kinda hard to discibe. As for the results of my analysis, I feel good with him, I feel complete I do not feel lost anymore. Is that what you where looking for? Please understand that I only speak for myself and have no knowledge of how any one else may feel. So , would you mind posting what makes you feel he is bad?

9Westy9

Premium Member
I too know he is good. I too have observed his works. As for what he looks like , well he is kinda hard to discibe. As for the results of my analysis, I feel good with him, I feel complete I do not feel lost anymore. Is that what you where looking for? Please understand that I only speak for myself and have no knowledge of how any one else may feel. So , would you mind posting what makes you feel he is bad?

How do you know it's his works?

riley2112

How do you know it's his works?
I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask that question, because I would.
I know it is Him the same way I know it is my wife when she touches me without me seeing her. The same way I know how my child will act when she wants to go to sleep. After awhile you get to know the people and things you are close to, the things that make your life what it is . They become part of you. I wish I could tell you more but then, That is how I know , I could not say how anyone else would know.

9Westy9

Premium Member
I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask that question, because I would.
I know it is Him the same way I know it is my wife when she touches me without me seeing her. The same way I know how my child will act when she wants to go to sleep. After awhile you get to know the people and things you are close to, the things that make your life what it is . They become part of you. I wish I could tell you more but then, That is how I know , I could not say how anyone else would know.

so it's subjective rather than objective? Not amazingly convincing :/

riley2112

so it's subjective rather than objective? Not amazingly convincing :/
No it is not all that convincing to some one that does not know how I was and how I am now. If you did then with out a doubt you would be able to see the differenct in me when I did not beleive and now that I do. But then again. Who do i need to convince?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Did God (an infinite creature) come to Earth, specifically you (VERY VERY finite being in a VERY finite place that is also within a mostly finite place)?

And to observe includes seeing. How can you see something nonphysical (assuming you believe God is a spirit)

riley2112

Did God (an infinite creature) come to Earth, specifically you (VERY VERY finite being in a VERY finite place that is also within a mostly finite place)?

And to observe includes seeing. How can you see something nonphysical (assuming you believe God is a spirit)
well. kinda. :facepalm:

9Westy9

Premium Member
No it is not all that convincing to some one that does not know how I was and how I am now. If you did then with out a doubt you would be able to see the differenct in me when I did not beleive and now that I do. But then again. Who do i need to convince?

I'm not denying religions ability to change people. The brain is a powerful thing

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

No. Belief is a result. You know that.

No need to mock me. We can talk in a more peaceful manner.

My belief is this: God created of Himself. He is the fullness of all good. We don't have every good and are of varying degrees in them, holding inheritances and losing them. We have certain knowledge, but not all, etc. When God created, we were good, according to our given purposes - but not every purpose there is. Only God is the fullness of every purpose. Only God has all good possibility.

Therefore, God is observable, as long as good is observable. I like knowledge, therefore, I like God. I like life, therefore, I like God. Etc. My analysis of God is all there is.

I can't detail every detail, so I'll let you ask your questions now.

9Westy9

Premium Member
God isn't observable until it can be shown that God is the definitive cause.

Blackdog22

No. Belief is a result. You know that.

No need to mock me. We can talk in a more peaceful manner.

My belief is this: God created of Himself. He is the fullness of all good. We don't have every good and are of varying degrees in them, holding inheritances and losing them. We have certain knowledge, but not all, etc. When God created, we were good, according to our given purposes - but not every purpose there is. Only God is the fullness of every purpose. Only God has all good possibility.

Therefore, God is observable, as long as good is observable. I like knowledge, therefore, I like God. I like life, therefore, I like God. Etc. My analysis of God is all there is.

I can't detail every detail, so I'll let you ask your questions now.

My apologies for the mocking tone. I just get this a lot and when asked how someone observes God I usually get tons of non answers.

I still don't know how you know God is good. I see you asserting that he is good, but I don't see any reason why. You state God is just, "The fullness of Good" and go from there and I have no idea what, "God created of himself," even means.

I can take your statement and replace God with Satan, Allah, Zeus, Myself, Krishna, Xenu, etc and it would still be just as meaningful.

None of this however answers how you observed and analyzed a being that is, by most Christian definitions, beyond time and space and thus beyond our ability to comprehend.

I guess a good question to ask would be, how do you define God, and go from there.