• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...god is “designed”!

Bear Wild

..god is “designed”!

Please name the natural scientist/engineer who
designed, please. Right, please?

Regards

There have been so many inventers of gods and goddesses throughout human history. This is the natural extension of social behavior to create a higher authority to maintain social order as the population densities of humans grew. Gods and goddesses have also been invented to deal with the events outside the control of humans. God was not created by scientists of engineers. So the answer there is an unknown huge number of inventors and re-inventors throughout human history, not one person.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There have been so many inventers of gods and goddesses throughout human history. This is the natural extension of social behavior to create a higher authority to maintain social order as the population densities of humans grew. Gods and goddesses have also been invented to deal with the events outside the control of humans. God was not created by scientists of engineers. So the answer there is an unknown huge number of inventors and re-inventors throughout human history, not one person.
One couldn't name the designer with a claim, the rest is one's conjecture, please? Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Gotta love the study of the brain.

This is definitely one valid way of looking at it. Archeological evidence of fetishism and totemism in early societies also contributes to this understanding, as it seems like certain objects were revered due to having some intrinsic protective spirit, which stems from animistic belief. Some linguistic studies often point to the same name being applied to gods that were applied to fetishes and totems, which most likely means that certain god ( such as thunder gods etc, started off as objects that people thought had intrinsic spiritual power to serve them.

That being said, this is largely a theoretical conclusion, since there are cases where gods cannot be linked back to any prior object or word. So there isn't conclusive evidence saying that all gods are a product of the human imagination.
Israel Khan wrote, " So there isn't conclusive evidence saying that all gods are a product of the human imagination."

A good point to note by other "none/s" and Atheism, please. Right, please?

Regards

Bear Wild

One couldn't name the designer with a claim, the rest is one's conjecture, please? Right, please?

Regards

Considering the thousands of gods and goddesses that are worshiped in this world I would think it impossible to come up with one designer. Each god and goddess - and there is a huge number of them so far identified - would make a single designer is completely unlikely and that would not be conjecture.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Mankind did not create any gods. They created various images and ideas of and the great mystery source, sustenance and purpose of all that is, that we generally refer to as 'God'. It's time to grow up, now, and recognize the difference.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the difference?

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the difference?
The name and idea people have assigned to you are not you. They are a conceptual placeholder they use to identify you from within the sea of information and phenomena that they experience, and to which they apply their specific experiences of 'you'.

Colt

In fact as a Christian I do not believe in Intelligent Design...because this sounds like a cruel game to all those people who weren't born "perfect" for one reason or the other.

In fact...God is the idealistic perfection that exists in nature and towards which all creatures struggle.
But nature is very free and independent from the will of God. That is a given.
Nature can be marred by rebellion.

Colt

If there is an “Intelligent Design”, then it isn’t what most people think.

It is man who created god, and who created a cult or religion about such and such a god.

No god or gods started religions, people did. No deities wrote any book, humans did.

And in their writings, teachings and ritualistic customs, people have “designed” their gods to meet their needs.

If anything was “designed”, then it is a god or gods. Humans are the designers.

My 2 cents for the day...now all I needs is to pick a day to rest :sleeping: ...or a night to party...! :grinning:
As a person of faith it is true that mankind tends to think of God as being like himself, so we do "project" our concepts upon deity. In prayer we even tell God what our will is for God rather than asking what Gods will is for us.

Its a funny thing though, mans conceit eludes his logic. Having been created in the image of God we still deny the existence of God which doubts the likelihood of our own existence.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The name and idea people have assigned to you are not you. They are a conceptual placeholder they use to identify you from within the sea of information and phenomena that they experience, and to which they apply their specific experiences of 'you'.
So like the name and ideas people have assigned to the Loch Ness Monster, or Santa Claus?

A version of "a map is not the terrain"?

chinu

chinu

It is man who created god, and who created a cult or religion about such and such a god.

No god or gods started religions, people did. No deities wrote any book, humans did.

And in their writings, teachings and ritualistic customs, people have “designed” their gods to meet their needs.

My 2 cents for the day...now all I needs is to pick a day to rest :sleeping: ...or a night to party...! :grinning:
Not most people know.. okay.
But, do some, or at least one person know ? what is your answer ? :)

leroy

And how do you know God was designed?..... What exactly do you mean by designed?

Bear Wild

And how do you know God was designed?..... What exactly do you mean by designed?

What we mean is that humans created or designed the concept of a god for control over society and to decrease the anxiety of life and death in this world as well as injustice. Humans designed god to bring them comfort to these stressful aspects of life. Nature on the other hand through evolution is not designed but is the product of a chaotic and creative world that can harness energy. There is no evidence for a god but there is plenty of evidence that humans design one for their needs.

leroy

What we mean is that humans created or designed the concept of a god for control over society and to decrease the anxiety of life and death in this world as well as injustice. Humans designed god to bring them comfort to these stressful aspects of life. Nature on the other hand through evolution is not designed but is the product of a chaotic and creative world that can harness energy. There is no evidence for a god but there is plenty of evidence that humans design one for their needs.
Really? SO Peter the apostle invented "the Jesus" because deep inside this fisherman wanted to control society?

Bear Wild

Really? SO Peter the apostle invented "the Jesus" because deep inside this fisherman wanted to control society?

Yes, when Jesus became described as god after his death then the myth of Jesus being god was designed.

leroy

Yes, when Jesus became described as god after his death then the myth of Jesus being god was designed.
Yes these evil fishermen.... They fooled and manipulated everybody so that they can take over the world.

Do you think Peter and the apostles where part of an evil Masonic, organization?.... Or would you say that they where working for the jewelry industry..... Maybe they invented "the jesus" so that they could sale crosses and other fancy stuff.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Who were the first people believe in God/s and do you have evidence that they designed their God/s?

I believe the first organised religions began to develope around 10000 years ago. There is no evidence of god worship before this time. In fact t think the first gods were Hindu.

leroy

We Humans have some sort of “religious instinct”……..we “feel” as if there is something out there.

Belief in God(s) was caused by this instinct. And then this belief in God evolved in to what we call religions.

Talking specifically about Jesus, well he was a historical person who did stuff that witnesses interpreted as miracles,

My point is that God was not “designed” in the way the OP suggests, it is not like someone woke up and decided to create the idea of God for some purpose in mind.

So the question is why do we have this religious instinct? Is it a delusion that evolved through natural selection? Did it evolved by chance? Or perhaps God created us with this instinct.

or why did the witnesses interpreted their observations as miracles………where they hallucinating? Or perhaps there where actual miracles. (I would argue that the second is the best explanation but I am open if you have any other hypothesis)

I would argue that the third is the best explanation, but I am open if you have any other suggestion.