• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

god in the bible

hanif

in the old testament god walked in the garden and wrestled with jacob and jacob win him.in genesis.
how can people can win the god.???

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
hanif said:
in the old testament god walked in the garden and wrestled with jacob and jacob win him.in genesis.

If you refer to the following:-
32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
Defender's notes:-
This "man" was actually an angel (Hosea 12:4)--in fact, the angel, the preincarnate Christ. Jacob recognized that he had seen God face to face (Genesis 32:30), and this is impossible except through Christ (John 1:18). The intensity of Jacob's prayer as he "wrestled" in his intercession (the word Jabbok means "wrestler;" the river is named for the unique event that occurred there), was such that God actually deigned to appear to him in human form as an antagonist over whom he must prevail for the blessing. As he had held on to Esau's heel at birth, so he now held on to God, so earnest was his desire for God's purpose to be accomplished in and through him.

32:25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.​

32:26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.​

32:27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.​

32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
Defender's notes:-
"Israel" can mean either "one who fights victoriously with God" or "a prevailing prince with God." This constitutes God's permanent testimony to Jacob's character, an opinion quite different from that of many modern Bible teachers. The "Supplanter" is now the "Prevailer." God delights in the faith of those who cling tenaciously to His promises and claim them in prevailing prayer (Luke 18:1,7).

I think that you will find that God 'wrestled' with no one.

hanif said:

Jacob did not "win" against God; God allowed Jacob to wrestle with Him, and when God was ready to stop, He simply dislocated Jacob's hip (Genesis 32:25). I would hardly call that "winning". The encounter was a unique one because Jacob had a unique, blessed place in God's plan.

FerventGodSeeker

Green Kepi

Hear, hear...Michel...wrestle doesn't necessary mean what we think it means - it was not like WWF wrestling, but...it could have been some type of physical contact before the touch. You are correct...it was Jesus, not God.