• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God in Another Place Believers, Dualists.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
if the believer is assigning god to another place, aren't they indirectly making themselves greater than god?

Last edited:

Duke_Leto

You might get more responses if you clarified how believers assign gods (or god's something (?)) to another place.

Earthling

David Henson
if the believer is assigning god's to another place, aren't they indirectly making themselves greater than god?

Another really good question. Deus Ex Machina (Link)

Often, I think, people take a generic god concept and change it to suit them, or their ideology.

Earthling

David Henson
Yes...or simply ignorant of the nature of God....

From a strictly Biblical perspective, yes, but from the traditional theological perspective, no. The unscriptural concept of omnipresence would suggest that no matter where the believer assigns God's position He would already be there.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From a strictly Biblical perspective, yes, but from the traditional theological perspective, no. The unscriptural concept of omnipresence would suggest that no matter where the believer assigns God's position He would already be there.

I believe we're saying the same thing. There can't be 'God' and something else.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why on Earth not? I certainly wasn't saying that.

Then "something else" would have be as equal as 'God'. When you say that there is 'God' and then there is something that is 'not God', you well on your way to dogma town.

Earthling

David Henson
Then "something else" would have be as equal as 'God'. When you say that there is 'God' and then there is something that is 'not God', you well on your way to dogma town.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm slow, but I just don't get what you are saying. Maybe it's because I have a different take on God than you do. In order to have a God you have to have someone of a lesser stature to appoint the greater stature as God. God doesn't mean supernatural being who allegedly created the universe, it just so happens that the supernatural being who allegedly created the universe was appointed as a god. So you don't have to have something else equal at all, in fact, if we are talking about God almighty, Jehovah, who I believe created the universe, there is no one or anything that is equal. So when you say there is 'God' there are other 'Gods' but there are many things and beings that are 'not God.'

It doesn't make any sense to me, what you are saying. And dogma has nothing to do with it. You could be dogmatic about any position on the matter, whether right or wrong.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'm sorry. I guess I'm slow, but I just don't get what you are saying. Maybe it's because I have a different take on God than you do. In order to have a God you have to have someone of a lesser stature to appoint the greater stature as God. God doesn't mean supernatural being who allegedly created the universe, it just so happens that the supernatural being who allegedly created the universe was appointed as a god. So you don't have to have something else equal at all, in fact, if we are talking about God almighty, Jehovah, who I believe created the universe, there is no one or anything that is equal. So when you say there is 'God' there are other 'Gods' but there are many things and beings that are 'not God.'

It doesn't make any sense to me, what you are saying. And dogma has nothing to do with it. You could be dogmatic about any position on the matter, whether right or wrong.

Isaiah 45:7

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Read the verse in my previous post and tell me one thing that is 'not God'.

Earthling

David Henson

Okay. I've read the verse . . . this post is not God. My empty can of diet 7 up here on my desk is not God. My left testicle isn't God. I could go on damn near ad infinitum.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That verse says that God is the source of everything, not that God is everything.

... if we were inclined to even take the Bible as authoritative, which I see no reason to do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Okay. I've read the verse . . . this post is not God. My empty can of diet 7 up here on my desk is not God. My left testicle isn't God. I could go on damn near ad infinitum.

Even your denial is God. "God" has to be the known and the not known; "God" also has to be the knowing and the not knowing. Anything else is just wishful thinking from the human imagination.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That verse says that God is the source of everything, not that God is everything.

... if we were inclined to even take the Bible as authoritative, which I see no reason to do.

Uhhh... the verse says God CREATED everything. What material did "God" have to work with?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Uhhh... the verse says God CREATED everything. What material did "God" have to work with?
The passage doesn't say.

Genesis 1 suggests that God's raw material was water.

... But now I bet we get to hear what you've inferred from the lack of specificity of the verse you cited.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The passage doesn't say.

Genesis 1 suggests that God's raw material was water.

... But now I bet we get to hear what you've inferred from the lack of specificity of the verse you cited.

Uhhh...

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

King James Version (KJV)

Soooo...you saying God created peace and evil out of water? I'd love to hear that theory..