• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God: How Jews and Muslims express faith

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
From my discussion from my fellow Jewish and Muslim friends and learning from Judaism outside the net, I have seen some noticeable differences in acknowledging God. I realize in Judaism there is a variety of complex tasks one must do to uphold the laws, just as Muslims.

But curious, in Islam in relation to God, there seems to be a focus on God as the Creator of mankind as opposed to in Judaism there is a focus on the country. I know @Tumah has told me that HASHEM is called Master of the Worlds, but I wonder is there some geographical influence?

What I mean is in Islamic writing there is a huge focus on God and humanity but in Jewish writing s it seems God is localized whereas in Islam God is globally.

Not trying to debate just curious based on writers on both ends.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not Muslim but as a data point there are 99 "names" of God in the Quran. The first 20 are:
  1. Ar Rahman (الرحمن) The Most Gracious
  2. Ar Raheem (الرحيم) The Most Merciful
  3. Al Malik (الملك) The King of Kings
  4. Al Quddus (القدوس) The Most Holy
  5. As Salam (السلام) The Ultimate Provider of Peace
  6. Al Mu'min (المؤمن) The Guarant Blessing
  7. Al Muhaymin (المهيمن) The Guardian, the Preserver
  8. Al Aziz (العزيز) The Almighty, the Self Sufficient
  9. Al Jabbaar (الجبار) The Powerful ,
  10. Al Mutakabbir (المتكبر) The Greatest
  11. Al Khaaliq (الخالق) The Creator
  12. Al Baari (البارئ) The Maker
  13. Al Musawwir (المصور) The Fashioner of Forms
  14. Al Ghaffaar (الغفار) The Ever-Forgiving
  15. Al Qahhaar (القهار) The All Subduer
  16. Al Wahhaab(الوهاب) The Bestower
  17. Ar Razzaaq (الرزاق) The Ever-Providing,The Sustainer
  18. Al Fattaah(الفتاح) The Ultimate Judge, The Opener of All Portals, the Victory Giver
  19. Al Alim (العليم) The All-Knowing, the Omniscient

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
The Jews were chosen by GOD to be a light to the World, but they neglected their duty in favour of Nationalism.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm not Muslim but as a data point there are 99 "names" of God in the Quran. The first 20 are:
  1. Ar Rahman (الرحمن) The Most Gracious
  2. Ar Raheem (الرحيم) The Most Merciful
  3. Al Malik (الملك) The King of Kings
  4. Al Quddus (القدوس) The Most Holy
  5. As Salam (السلام) The Ultimate Provider of Peace
  6. Al Mu'min (المؤمن) The Guarant Blessing
  7. Al Muhaymin (المهيمن) The Guardian, the Preserver
  8. Al Aziz (العزيز) The Almighty, the Self Sufficient
  9. Al Jabbaar (الجبار) The Powerful ,
  10. Al Mutakabbir (المتكبر) The Greatest
  11. Al Khaaliq (الخالق) The Creator
  12. Al Baari (البارئ) The Maker
  13. Al Musawwir (المصور) The Fashioner of Forms
  14. Al Ghaffaar (الغفار) The Ever-Forgiving
  15. Al Qahhaar (القهار) The All Subduer
  16. Al Wahhaab(الوهاب) The Bestower
  17. Ar Razzaaq (الرزاق) The Ever-Providing,The Sustainer
  18. Al Fattaah(الفتاح) The Ultimate Judge, The Opener of All Portals, the Victory Giver
  19. Al Alim (العليم) The All-Knowing, the Omniscient

Ty I am familiar with God's names and the symbolism behind them

Tumah

Veteran Member
From my discussion from my fellow Jewish and Muslim friends and learning from Judaism outside the net, I have seen some noticeable differences in acknowledging God. I realize in Judaism there is a variety of complex tasks one must do to uphold the laws, just as Muslims.

But curious, in Islam in relation to God, there seems to be a focus on God as the Creator of mankind as opposed to in Judaism there is a focus on the country. I know @Tumah has told me that HASHEM is called Master of the Worlds, but I wonder is there some geographical influence?

What I mean is in Islamic writing there is a huge focus on God and humanity but in Jewish writing s it seems God is localized whereas in Islam God is globally.

Not trying to debate just curious based on writers on both ends.
I don't think you mean on the country. If you're referring to something like "G-d of Israel", that means on the nation of Israel, not the country.

It's true that in Jewish writings G-d is understood to focus His Providence directly on the land of Israel and indirectly on the rest of the world. The land of Israel has special significance in Judaism as the place where G-d's Presence is most clearly revealed to various degrees and where we are ultimately meant to fulfill the commandments. But that's not to the exclusion of the rest of the world.

There is focus on the unique relationship we have with G-d as the nation to whom He chose to reveal His Law. But that's not in exclusion of G-d as the G-d of all either, that's in addition to. G-d is the G-d of everyone. But as Jews we focus on the uniqueness of our relationship with Him.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't think you mean on the country. If you're referring to something like "G-d of Israel", that means on the nation of Israel, not the country.

It's true that in Jewish writings G-d is understood to focus His Providence directly on the land of Israel and indirectly on the rest of the world. The land of Israel has special significance in Judaism as the place where G-d's Presence is most clearly revealed to various degrees and where we are ultimately meant to fulfill the commandments. But that's not to the exclusion of the rest of the world.

There is focus on the unique relationship we have with G-d as the nation to whom He chose to reveal His Law. But that's not in exclusion of G-d as the G-d of all either, that's in addition to. G-d is the G-d of everyone. But as Jews we focus on the uniqueness of our relationship with Him.

Nice to have you back..hope all is well...I will respond at work later.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

But that is my point in that at least in the concept of God's relationship to humanity is that it does appear somewhat exclusionary in the sense that although I have a relationship with God, in Judaism God's primary focus is the nation of Israel. Doing a comparative analysis in Islam it would appear (on face value) that I have a direct relationship with God and that no nation or tribe is greater as said in the following:

"[50-16] And indeed We have created man, and We know whatever thoughts his inner self develops, and We are closer to him than (his) jugular vein"

Although as you say God is the Lord of everyone (quite obviously considering the monotheistic aspect), from a contextual aspect it would seem that he still has a particular favorism of the Jewish people versus Allah who has a relationship with everyone equally.

Tumah

Veteran Member
But that is my point in that at least in the concept of God's relationship to humanity is that it does appear somewhat exclusionary in the sense that although I have a relationship with God, in Judaism God's primary focus is the nation of Israel. Doing a comparative analysis in Islam it would appear (on face value) that I have a direct relationship with God and that no nation or tribe is greater as said in the following:

"[50-16] And indeed We have created man, and We know whatever thoughts his inner self develops, and We are closer to him than (his) jugular vein"

Although as you say God is the Lord of everyone (quite obviously considering the monotheistic aspect), from a contextual aspect it would seem that he still has a particular favorism of the Jewish people versus Allah who has a relationship with everyone equally.
Yes, that's true. Like Islam, Noahidism is the Jewish version of a universal religion. Judaism represents the nation singled out for a unique relationship with G-d above and beyond the universal religion.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Can you quote the commandment to be a light to the world?
God speaking to Moses pbuh:
Exodus 19:5 So now I tell you to obey my commands and keep my agreement. So if you do this, you will be my own special people. The whole world belongs to me, but I am choosing you to be my own special people. 6 You will be a special nation—a kingdom of priests.’ Moses, you must tell the Israelites what I have said.”

As a Kingdom of Priests, they were meant to be a light to the other Nations, a clear and bright path to GOD.

O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I have bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds. Qur'an 2:47

Tumah

Veteran Member
God speaking to Moses pbuh:
Exodus 19:5 So now I tell you to obey my commands and keep my agreement. So if you do this, you will be my own special people. The whole world belongs to me, but I am choosing you to be my own special people. 6 You will be a special nation—a kingdom of priests.’ Moses, you must tell the Israelites what I have said.”

As a Kingdom of Priests, they were meant to be a light to the other Nations, a clear and bright path to GOD.

O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I have bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds. Qur'an 2:47

Definition of priest
:eek:ne authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God; specifically :an Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, or Roman Catholic clergyman ranking below a bishop and above a deacon​

As a kingdom of priests, we are authorized to perform sacred rites - and we do in fact have lots of rituals. I don't see anything here about being a light to other nations

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yes, that's true. Like Islam, Noahidism is the Jewish version of a universal religion. Judaism represents the nation singled out for a unique relationship with G-d above and beyond the universal religion.

But then you would understand for me, how that would make me feel that a deity who created me is somewhat biased. It is almost like "hey guy, I like you, but I kinda have special things going on with these folks here."

The thing with Noahidism, it is just a Jewish version of Islam. But from the brief readings I have read, it still has more of an inclination to Judaic thought in spiritual matters as opposed to globally unless I am missing something.