• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God has to prove to me that He exists: what kind of proof should I demand?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
God has to prove to me that He exists: what kind of proof should I demand?
You should demand the same kind of evidence as for any scientific theory. Repeatable experiments, prediction of behavior.

Sadly, there is no such proof. It comes down to something like: is the subjective experience of consciousness explained (or explainable) by science? If not, then belief in God (and a spiritual realm) seems like a reasonable position.

But in what way does God interact with us; in other words, assuming there is a God, what good is it to us, what difference does it make? Can we pray and feel comforted? (Or expect miracles?) Does God inhabit our mind?

Shantanu

You should demand the same kind of evidence as for any scientific theory. Repeatable experiments, prediction of behavior.

Sadly, there is no such proof. It comes down to something like: is the subjective experience of consciousness explained (or explainable) by science? If not, then belief in God (and a spiritual realm) seems like a reasonable position.

But in what way does God interact with us; in other words, assuming there is a God, what good is it to us, what difference does it make? Can we pray and feel comforted? (Or expect miracles?) Does God inhabit our mind?
If there was a single test that a scientist could devise bearing in mind all of these elements of your post which are profound statements, do you have any idea what that test should comprise of?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
If there was a single test that a scientist could devise bearing in mind all of these elements of your post which are profound statements, do you have any idea what that test should comprise of?
Maybe if true miracles occurred; that might qualify. Or if science came to something impossible to explain without "outside" influence. Actually, I think the randomness of quantum mechanics qualifies. And certainly the existence of the subjective experience of conscious qualifies.

Shantanu

Maybe if true miracles occurred; that might qualify. Or if science came to something impossible to explain without "outside" influence. Actually, I think the randomness of quantum mechanics qualifies. And certainly the existence of the subjective experience of conscious qualifies.
So we rely on the good fortune that has visitied us which will have to be subjected to statistical analyses as something more than a mere chance happening.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(a) if you had a need for objective truth that you desire who would you ask?
Such source as seemed appropriate to the particular question ─ my memory, an acquaintance, a book, the net, an expert ...
(b) if you confronted humanity with the truth as you have determined from self-examination what would the response of humanity be to your assertions on the truth that you expouse?
'Self-examination'?

Shantanu

Such source as seemed appropriate to the particular question ─ my memory, an acquaintance, a book, the net, an expert ...
'Self-examination'?
Your answer to (a) constitutes (b) - self examination because you yourself are assessing the evidence that you rely upon.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your answer to (a) constitutes (b) - self examination because you yourself are assessing the evidence that you rely upon.
You don't assess the evidence you rely on?

But then, you don't use the truth test I use.

Shantanu

You don't assess the evidence you rely on?

But then, you don't use the truth test I use.
I assess the evidence that I rely on through self-examination because I correspond with the God residing inside of me to confirm or deny what I have determined as truth.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I assess the evidence that I rely on through self-examination because I correspond with the God residing inside of me to confirm or deny what I have determined as truth.
No objective test, so for you, 'truth' is whatever you want.

We're been there already.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So the question that it boils down to is Does God as a truth-determinant exist: what is your answer to that?
That as far as I can determine, 'God' is a noun with no real referent; there does not exist in objective reality any real thing that is 'God' or 'a god'; at the very least the concept of a real god is incoherent, such that no definition exists which would allow us to determine whether any real entity or thing were God or not. Equally relevant, there is no definition of 'godness', the real quality that a real god has and eg a superscientist lacks.

God in any event is not even in imagination the determiner of truth. What makes a statement true is the extent to which it corresponds to / conforms with / accurately reflects objective reality, so the individual judges what is true.

Last edited:

Shantanu

That as far as I can determine, 'God' is a noun with no real referent; there does not exist in objective reality any real thing that is 'God' or 'a god'; at the very least the concept of a real god is incoherent, such that no definition exists which would allow us to determine whether any real entity or thing were God or not. Equally relevant, there is no definition of 'godness', the quality that a god has and eg a superscientist lacks.

God in any event is not even in imagination the determiner of truth. What makes a statement true is the extent to which it corresponds to / conforms with / accurately reflects objective reality,
Whether that answer is a 'Yes' or a 'No'; only you know; for to my knowledge it is word-salad.

Shantanu

You say, as far as the mood takes you.
That is true: when God does not behave with me to suit my mental demeanours I jettison Him from my satya-advaitic considerations in order to continue to seek truth according to my satya-advaitic principles. I have been told that I am being egocentric in stressing that God answers my questions put to Him through an offer I made to him to reply to me using the digital clock sighting of '7' (1.15, 2.41, 3.04, 4.21, 5.02, 6.10, 7.00, 8.08, 9.07, 10.33, 11.32, 12.41, etc) and that it am being delusional to think that either because God does not have the capacity to come through to me using this achintya bhed abheda tatwa demonstrating mechanism of the Hindus or because He/It has already said to mankind all that it wishes to say to Bahaullah the last time round and there is nothing further He wishes to add to that prophecy. If you can confirm this I would be grateful as I will then have enough grounds from an objective truth tester to strongly consider signing up to the Baha'i' faith and will start practicing multiculturalism in a very much more seriously pluralistic way. In this regard you should take into account that my enquries are always made in good faith as I have already voted for a Christian female shop keeper (independent) a UKIP member, and a Conservative candidate at the local Council elections that we had last week. I was only allowed to vote for three candidates or I would have voted for all of them as a Baha'i' multiculturalist.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

That is true: when God does not behave with me to suit my mental demeanours I jettison Him from my satya-advaitic considerations in order to continue to seek truth according to my satya-advaitic principles. I have been told that I am being egocentric in stressing that God answers my questions put to Him through an offer I made to him to reply to me using the digital clock sighting of '7' (1.15, 2.41, 3.04, 4.21, 5.02, 6.10, 7.00, 8.08, 9.07, 10.33, 11.32, 12.41, etc) and that it am being delusional to think that either because God does not have the capacity to come through to me using this achintya bhed abheda tatwa demonstrating mechanism of the Hindus or because He/It has already said to mankind all that it wishes to say to Bahaullah the last time round and there is nothing further He wishes to add to that prophecy. If you can confirm this I would be grateful as I will then have enough grounds from an objective truth tester to strongly consider signing up to the Baha'i' faith and will start practicing multiculturalism in a very much more seriously pluralistic way. In this regard you should take into account that my enquries are always made in good faith as have already voted for a Christian female shop keeper (independent) a UKIP member, and a Conservative candidate at the local Council elections that we had last week. I was only allowed to vote for three candidates or I would have voted for all of them as a Baha'i' multiculturalist.

Now THIS is word salad.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is true: when God does not behave with me to suit my mental demeanours I jettison Him from my satya-advaitic considerations in order to continue to seek truth according to my satya-advaitic principles. I have been told that I am being egocentric in stressing that God answers my questions put to Him through an offer I made to him to reply to me using the digital clock sighting of '7' (1.15, 2.41, 3.04, 4.21, 5.02, 6.10, 7.00, 8.08, 9.07, 10.33, 11.32, 12.41, etc) and that it am being delusional to think that either because God does not have the capacity to come through to me using this achintya bhed abheda tatwa demonstrating mechanism of the Hindus or because He/It has already said to mankind all that it wishes to say to Bahaullah the last time round and there is nothing further He wishes to add to that prophecy. If you can confirm this I would be grateful as I will then have enough grounds from an objective truth tester to strongly consider signing up to the Baha'i' faith and will start practicing multiculturalism in a very much more seriously pluralistic way. In this regard you should take into account that my enquries are always made in good faith as have already voted for a Christian female shop keeper (independent) a UKIP member, and a Conservative candidate at the local Council elections that we had last week. I was only allowed to vote for three candidates or I would have voted for all of them as a Baha'i' multiculturalist.
Whatever.