• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Given Rights

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Free will.
And God has never violated free will.
Men do violate other people's free will, so they supersede God.
Because they consider themselves God.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The only one I'm aware of is the right to choose, freewill. This comes from the verse late in Deuteronomy, paraphrasing, "... I put before you a blessing and a curse, life and death. Choose life."

Ultimately, each person defends/enforces their right to freewill. In society, it's governments who do the enforcing.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Free will.
And God has never violated free will.
Men do violate other people's free will, so they supersede God.
Because they consider themselves God.
You beat me to it by 5 minutes!!! Great minds think alike! :tearsofjoy:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about God, but the gods are basically the laws and substance of the universe. The "rights" given are the inherent abilities of various things. Like, you've got the right to walk, but not to fly if you don't have wings. It's not really "enforced" as much as an intrinsic property of reality/gods/universe.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What rights are given by God?
How are they enforced?
Well the fact that rights vary from place to place, and that rights change, and there are no gods coming forth to enforce any of the rules or rights that are attributed to them, suggests rights come from humans, and they use gods as window dressing for their own mortal authority. We hear the phrase "God given rights" by people who are exagerating and trying to make a dubious claim that the right they are referring to is untouchable. Rights are always touchable when they no longer serve society.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The Pharaoh violated the people of Israel's free will.

How does that relate to my question? Because also, the fact that God hardened Pharoah's heart made Pharoah violate Israel's free will even more. God knew this beforehand. So it could be said that God violated Israels free will by using the Pharoah as the instrument.

Colt

What rights are given by God?
How are they enforced?
There are none.

"Nature confers no rights on man, only life and a world in which to live it. Nature does not even confer the right to live, as might be deduced by considering what would likely happen if an unarmed man met a hungry tiger face to face in the primitive forest." UB

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Didn't the biblical God harden Pharoah's heart?
Yes. It's a really interesting aspect of the story.

There are those who argue that Pharoah retained his freewill and that hardening his heart was required for this. The plagues coerced Pharoah's behavior in one direction, in favor of letting the Jewish people leave. In order to counteract this bias, God hardened Pharoah's heart so that Pharoah was making the decision without being affected by the plagues. The hardened heart combined with the plagues returned Pharoah's disposition to balance so that he could make a decision based on his own freewill.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't buy this old chestnut that's so often heard from fundies.
How many people have actually told you....
"I do this because I'm God."
So many people do evil to others because they consider themselves immortal...so they forget death even exists.
But as philosopher Heidegger used to say, a life without a constant memento mori is not a spiritual life.

So yes...since God is eternal and immortal, they consider themselves as immortal as God.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
How does that relate to my question? Because also, the fact that God hardened Pharoah's heart made Pharoah violate Israel's free will even more. God knew this beforehand. So it could be said that God violated Israels free will by using the Pharoah as the instrument.
If the Egyptians had stayed home...instead of chasing the Hebrews, they would have never been overwhelmed by the Red Sea waters. They would have survived.
So God has nothing to do with that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So many people do evil to others because they consider themselves immortal...so they forget death even exists.
How many have actually told you they believe they're immortal?
But as philosopher Heidegger used to say, a life without a constant memento mori is not a spiritual life.

So yes...since God is eternal and immortal, they consider themselves as immortal as God.
This seems quite the stretch....some loosie goosie
deduction based upon faulty premises that lead
to an absurd conclusion that many people believe
they're an immortal deity.