• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"God exist" Vs. "I believe God exist" Vs. "I believe in God"

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Do you see a difference between these three statements and if so what are those differences?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I believe that the word believe is one of the most misused in the English language.
Tom

Language is fluid, so if it is, as you suggest, "one of the most misused" then how people are "misusing" it is what it means. There really is no such thing as a "most misused" word since language is defined and shaped by how it is used by people. Now there may be cases where the dictionary and academic norms have not yet caught up to the changes in language.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you see a difference between these three statements and if so what are those differences?

The first is a confirmation of knowledge. God [does] exist.

The second believing without confirmation. "I believe he exist [but I won't say I know]"

The last is more intimate. "I believe in God". I don't know just he exist. I don't just have a hudge or hope he does. I believe in him or trust in his existence.

Those are the differences

Sapiens

Polymathematician

None of the three are evidence based. The last two attempt to beg the question.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"God exist" A claim of fact

"I believe God exist" A personal assertion that something is true, but without sufficient reason to declare it a fact.

"I believe in God" The declaration of an association with the nature of an object.

Rational Agnostic

Yes. Saying "God exists" is making a declaration of fact, making no allowance for the possibility of being incorrect. Stating "I believe God exists" is more reasonable even if incorrect, because it allows for the possibility of being wrong.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Yes. Saying "God exists" is making a declaration of fact, making no allowance for the possibility of being incorrect. Stating "I believe God exists" is more reasonable even if incorrect, because it allows for the possibility of being wrong.

"Stating "I believe God exists" is more reasonable even if incorrect"

Are you suggesting the person that declares "I believe God exist", does not really believe that God exist? It is a statement about their belief, if you are suggesting it is incorrect are you not suggesting they don't really believe as they stated?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I think all three can mean the same thing, though the last one can mean something different, depending on context.

"I believe in God" can either mean "I believe that God exists" or "I have confidence in God" (e.g. "I trust God to keep his promises").

Rational Agnostic

"Stating "I believe God exists" is more reasonable even if incorrect"

Are you suggesting the person that declares "I believe God exist", does not really believe that God exist? It is a statement about their belief, if you are suggesting it is incorrect are you not suggesting they don't really believe as they stated?

No, they believe as they stated but they are allowing for the possibility of being wrong.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
None of the three are evidence based. The last two attempt to beg the question.
I don't see question-begging in either of those. As for whether they're evidence-based... that depends on the context in which the statements are made.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Then prove your assertion and produce the evidence. Habeas corpus.

I think it should be given for all three of those statements that when stated as a genuine declaration, the person saying it believes they have sufficient evidence or reason for their belief. The fact that you disagree on the evidence and/or reasoning does not really tell us much about the person making the statement.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I think it should be given for all three of those statements that when stated as a genuine declaration, the person saying it believes they have sufficient evidence or reason for their belief. The fact that you disagree on the evidence and/or reasoning does not really tell us much about the person making the statement.
Sure it does, if if fact there is no evidence for the claims, then the distinctions and arguments are rendered moot.