• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God/energy/consciousness

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If god is energy and energy is consciousness, can you (to whom appropriate) explain what that means?

How does spiritual energy (not physics) have consciousness?

If you don't believe in spiritual energy and you're able to give some positive insight, that would be good too.

( I asked on another thread but neither answered so I thought maybe those who believe this have an idea of what they meant)

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
From my elementary understanding of Hinduism, I think this is what the teaching on Brahman essentially is. Their supreme “God” isn’t a sentient being, rather, the energy behind everything which means it supports and is responsible for all existence.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Interestingly enough, I got this from two people who didn't practice eastern traditions. They had an abrahamic perspective of it while others more vague.

AlexanderG

As far as I can tell, there is no common usage for "spiritual," non-physical "energy" or even "god," in terms of the meaning people convey when they say these words. Even "consciousness" referring to mystical ideas outside of neuroscience are nothing more than speculative imagination. These terms seem vague to the point of meaningless.

When these words are so vague, I notice people slipping into equivocating different meanings for the same word, even within the same conversation. It's very frustrating. I see it a lot in people who are "spiritual but not religious," or New Age types who want to see mysteries in the universe but can't begin to describe good reasons for why they hold their beliefs.

Certainly, there is no demonstrable, scientific basis for any of the supernatural concepts that people use these terms to refer to. So to answer your question...no, I don't think anyone can describe what it means. Maybe you could ask Deepak Chopra, though? :rolleyes:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If you don't believe in spiritual energy and you're able to give some positive insight, that would be good too.
I do not believe in any kind of 'spiritual', 'divine' energy. Like God, it is something that we imagine, basically in our quest for immortality.
It is a strategy for Deepak Chawla type of religious teachers who would like to create mystery where there is none.
The positive idea is to look at the working of the brain, imagination, fuzzy logic, and stick to science.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not believe in any kind of 'spiritual', 'divine' energy. Like God, it is something that we imagine, basically in our quest for immortality.
It is a strategy for Deepak Chawla type of religious teachers who would like to create mystery where there is none.
The positive idea is to look at the working of the brain, imagination, fuzzy logic, and stick to science.

Ok.... But do you have some positive insight on it?

Not everything we don't believe in needs to be shot down as rediculous.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not everything we don't believe in needs to be shot down as ridiculous.
It is OK if people have this need and have God belief. However, IMHO, it is a need created by indoctrination and repeated hearing. It is not a genuine need. Atheists do without it without any problem.