• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God does not answer prayers

BlueSky95

God has never answered prayers and will never answer prayers, why so? Ask yourself this, how does God decide to answer prayers?

Here we have a mother who prays day and night for her child that has cancer and eventually, the child dies, every day thousands upon thousands children die from horrible diseases. Here we have a young man who prays for finding a good job and he finds his dream job, giving thanks that his prayer was answered, I've read so many testimonies about this. Now, from time to time, we have testimonies of miraculous healings, but ask yourself, why there are so few and not more? This should ring a bell!

It is not God who answer prayers, from my own research, there are two main things when it comes to prayers - your faith and your life journey.

Remember what Jesus used to say to those who healed them? Your faith has saved you!

A question arises, where is God in this equation of prayers? God is the power that manifests the answer to your prayer but the answer does not come from God, it comes from your faith and your life journey. If you have faith and this is part of your life journey, then there's nothing to stop your prayers from being answered.

I am still not sure of the last thing, the life journey, because in my belief, we decide our life journey each moment.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
God has never answered prayers and will never answer prayers, why so? Ask yourself this, how does God decide to answer prayers?

Here we have a mother who prays day and night for her child that has cancer and eventually, the child dies, every day thousands upon thousands children die from horrible diseases. Here we have a young man who prays for finding a good job and he finds his dream job, giving thanks that his prayer was answered, I've read so many testimonies about this. Now, from time to time, we have testimonies of miraculous healings, but ask yourself, why there are so few and not more? This should ring a bell!

It is not God who answer prayers, from my own research, there are two main things when it comes to prayers - your faith and your life journey.

Remember what Jesus used to say to those who healed them? Your faith has saved you!

A question arises, where is God in this equation of prayers? God is the power that manifests the answer to your prayer but the answer does not come from God, it comes from your faith and your life journey. If you have faith and this is part of your life journey, then there's nothing to stop your prayers from being answered.

I am still not sure of the last thing, the life journey, because in my belief, we decide our life journey each moment.
I have faith in that Allah listen to my prayer, and answer them, but the answer is not always what i expect it to be, or in the way i thought i would gain answer.
You are of course welcome to have your own understanding and view of how prayer works.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Every life is so precious and every lost life contains pain.

But to say that God doesn't heal is a huge error. And if you ask "why are there so few and not more", I would ask "how much do you exercise the authority to lay hands on the sick? and how much time to you spend studying the word?". Is it possible it happens more often that you think?

Not to mention all the additives, chemicals, processed food, sugar etc that is consumed and then we wonder why there is more cancer!

BlueSky95

But to say that God doesn't heal is a huge error. And if you ask "why are there so few and not more", I would ask "how much do you exercise the authority to lay hands on the sick? and how much time to you spend studying the word?". Is it possible it happens more often that you think?

Not to mention all the additives, chemicals, processed food, sugar etc that is consumed and then we wonder why there is more cancer!

Please read my words again, I never said God does not help, I mearely said that He does not answer prayers. Your faith is the answer to your prayer, God only makes it happen.

So you believe that God is the one who decide what prayers are answered and what prayers are not answered? How does He decide? How can God leave a child die of cancer and help someone else find his/her dream job? Are these people not selfish when they pray for small things when other people pray to stay alive?

If you ask me that, I would ask you this, how many times in your entire religious walk have you read the scriptures with an open mind?

pearl

The Master never ceased to attack the notions about God that people entertain.
"If your God comes to your rescue and gets you out of trouble," he would say, "it is time you started searching for the true God."
When asked to elaborate, this is the story he told;

"A man left a brand-new bicycle unattended at the marketplace while he went about his shopping. He only remembered the bicycle the following day-and rushed to the marketplace, expecting it would nave been stolen. The bicycle was exactly where he had left it.

Overwhelmed with joy, he rushed to a nearby temple to thank God for having kept his bicycle safe-only to find, when he got out of the temple, that the bicycle was gone!"
"One Minute Wisdom" deMello

BlueSky95

The Master never ceased to attack the notions about God that people entertain.
"If your God comes to your rescue and gets you out of trouble," he would say, "it is time you started searching for the true God."
When asked to elaborate, this is the story he told;

"A man left a brand-new bicycle unattended at the marketplace while he went about his shopping. He only remembered the bicycle the following day-and rushed to the marketplace, expecting it would nave been stolen. The bicycle was exactly where he had left it.

Overwhelmed with joy, he rushed to a nearby temple to thank God for having kept his bicycle safe-only to find, when he got out of the temple, that the bicycle was gone!"
"One Minute Wisdom" deMello

I could never put this better, it took me years to learn this.

Kenny

Premium Member
Please read my words again, I never said God does not help, I mearely said that He does not answer prayers. Your faith is the answer to your prayer, God only makes it happen.

So you believe that God is the one who decide what prayers are answered and what prayers are not answered? How does He decide? How can God leave a child die of cancer and help someone else find his/her dream job? Are these people not selfish when they pray for small things when other people pray to stay alive?

If you ask me that, I would ask you this, how many times in your entire religious walk have you read the scriptures with an open mind?
I did read your post.

But you didn't answer my questions.... do you lay hands on the sick so they recover? Do you increase your faith by spending hours in the Word?

Mark 6 And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.4 But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Did God "choose" who He was going to heal? Did he want to heal but couldn't? Who did He NOT want to heal?

Is someone's job less important to Him?

Romans 8:32
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'm thinking from a christian perspective, they don't see themselves as worthy of god so to put their faith in themselves that they answered the prayers through god would be undermining god (in their view). Instead, it's easier to assess the answered prayers outside oneself. For some people it's a stronger response and easier to relate to when it comes from an outside source than their own deeds and interactions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

God heals through your interactions with others, your faith, and your journey rather than a deity outside yourself, a force, or so have you. "Your faith" is what saves. The example I can think of is when jesus was raising lazareth. The disciples asked him what's up. Jesus basically said it's not the dead rising but the faith that brought him to life. If you don't believe your faith answers your prayers, then by what means and method did god answer prayers?

It would have to be beyond personal conclusions of spiritual events, feelings, and things of that nature. How would you explain or give an example, rather, of god answering a prayer to someone who never heard of god, the bible, or anything abrahamic for that nature?

Kenny

Premium Member
God heals through your interactions with others, your faith, and your journey rather than a deity outside yourself, a force, or so have you. "Your faith" is what saves. The example I can think of is when jesus was raising lazareth. The disciples asked him what's up. Jesus basically said it's not the dead rising but the faith that brought him to life. If you don't believe your faith answers your prayers, then by what means and method did god answer prayers?

There is a multiplicity of reasons. The other person's faith, your faith, conditions of the heart, obedience, understanding, wrong teaching, asking correctly and more... but basically it all has to do with human issues but not God's issues.

No different than God wanting all to be saved... but it doesn't translate into all people will be saved because of human will.

Jesus said, " Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." He didn't say "I will heal the sick" - He said "YOU go and heal the sick". What if they never did that?

It would have to be beyond personal conclusions of spiritual events, feelings, and things of that nature. How would you explain or give an example, rather, of god answering a prayer to someone who never heard of god, the bible, or anything abrahamic for that nature?

Abraham hadn't heard about God... but God still reached him. Nebuchadnezzar didn't know God but God spoke to him. Pharaoh didn't know God, but God spoke to him in a dream.

Why would you think that just because someone doesn't yet know Him, he won't listen to Him or speak to Him?

To the issue "God does not answer prayers" - why would I say He doesn't? Do I base my life on other people's experiences? So... do I hold onto a position of "You can't get ahead in this world" because someone else didn't get ahead?

BlueSky95

I did read your post.

But you didn't answer my questions.... do you lay hands on the sick so they recover? Do you increase your faith by spending hours in the Word?

Mark 6 And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.4 But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Did God "choose" who He was going to heal? Did he want to heal but couldn't? Who did He NOT want to heal?

Is someone's job less important to Him?

Romans 8:32
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Sure. I ask you this so that you know who am I, have you ever prayed for weeks for someone who is paralyzed, someone that you have never met in real life, someone that has no idea you exist, but you prayed because you felt compassion and empathy and not knowing another way to help that person, you just prayed and prayed and prayed...? Now you know who I am, this is just an example, you know what I have learned? God does not answer prayers! About studying the Bible, don't worry, I was studying it when people of my age where outside playing football and having fun.

Now, please answer to my question and questions. I hope you see from that passage that it was because of their lack of faith that miracles did not happen, as I said, as Jesus said, your faith has saved you! God does not answer prayers but your faith makes your prayers to be answered. I also talked about the idea of having a "life path", something already decided, like a destiny, why I said this, do you really think those mothers who pray for their sick children lack faith?

BlueSky95

I'm thinking from a christian perspective, they don't see themselves as worthy of god so to put their faith in themselves that they answered the prayers through god would be undermining god (in their view). Instead, it's easier to assess the answered prayers outside oneself. For some people it's a stronger response and easier to relate to when it comes from an outside source than their own deeds and interactions.

That's true, the vast majority of religious people act like this, I acted like this for years, being at the mercy of my own version of God, my own idea of God. It's quite interesting that in the christian and muslim tradition there's a saying - God will help you only when you start helping yourself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is a multiplicity of reasons. The other person's faith, your faith, conditions of the heart, obedience, understanding, wrong teaching, asking correctly and more... but basically it all has to do with human issues but not God's issues.

No different than God wanting all to be saved... but it doesn't translate into all people will be saved because of human will.

Jesus said, " Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." He didn't say "I will heal the sick" - He said "YOU go and heal the sick". What if they never did that?

Abraham hadn't heard about God... but God still reached him. Nebuchadnezzar didn't know God but God spoke to him. Pharaoh didn't know God, but God spoke to him in a dream.

Why would you think that just because someone doesn't yet know Him, he won't listen to Him or speak to Him?

To the issue "God does not answer prayers" - why would I say He doesn't? Do I base my life on other people's experiences? So... do I hold onto a position of "You can't get ahead in this world" because someone else didn't get ahead?

Here's something in scripture I looked up:

"For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

If god didn't work through you to answer prayers (so the prayers are through your actions, interactions, and interpretations as such), then what living conduit does god answer prayers through?

I don't believe Abraham heard a voice in the clouds. I'm sure his actions and obedience was his prayer rather than something or someone telling him where to go and what to do. Since Abraham is pretty far back in time, how does one ask.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

If a child asks their mother for something and the mother denies or ignores the request, does that mean she will never answer another request? Or can it mean that their mother had a different plan for them?

Kenny

Premium Member
Sure. I ask you this so that you know who am I, have you ever prayed for weeks for someone who is paralyzed, someone that you have never met in real life, someone that has no idea you exist, but you prayed because you felt compassion and empathy and not knowing another way to help that person, you just prayed and prayed and prayed...? Now you know who I am, this is just an example, you know what I have learned? God does not answer prayers! About studying the Bible, don't worry, I was studying it when people of my age where outside playing football and having fun.

They, if you studied, you would know that it wasn't that God doesn't answer prayers. You look at the results of that paralyzed person and assume that it was God who did not answer and yet you don't even know all the nuances to the situation. You don't know their heart, you don't know what they are thinking.

What we do know is that Jesus DID want to heal in his hometown but couldn't but you want better results than Him?

So, if that is what you learned, you learned something that John would be in agreement with.

1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

So, I have learned that Romans 3: What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written, NASB

Now, please answer to my question and questions. I hope you see from that passage that it was because of their lack of faith that miracles did not happen, as I said, as Jesus said, your faith has saved you! God does not answer prayers but your faith makes your prayers to be answered. I also talked about the idea of having a "life path", something already decided, like a destiny, why I said this, do you really think those mothers who pray for their sick children lack faith?

I have no idea about the mother as neither do you. We don't know how she prayed, what she believed, was she taught wrong, why the child died and went to a better place, etc. But we do know that Jesus bore our pains and carried our sicknesses. We do know that God wants all to be saved, did all He could to provide salvation to everyone yet people still don't want it and deny what He did. God's fault? I don't think so.

You create your own destiny. Yes faith is one of many components. but as you noted... it wasn't God that failed to do miracles, it was man.

So God does answer prayers... man messes it up.

BlueSky95

If a child asks their mother for something and the mother denies or ignores the request, does that mean she will never answer another request? Or can it mean that their mother had a different plan for them?

So children keep dying because God does not answer the prayers of their parents, maybe because God denies them or ignores them, maybe it's more important to answer the prayer of someone who dreams about finding a good job, who knows. He will answer them other prayers, let them be assured.. but not this one.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Welcome to RF,

Quite an interesting entrance you make with this thread. Great.

IMO: It all burns down to your definition of God, Faith, Path and Goal in life. Grace is always there

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So children keep dying because God does not answer the prayers of their parents, maybe because God denies them or ignores them, maybe it's more important to answer the prayer of someone who dreams about finding a good job, who knows. He will answer them other prayers, let them be assured.. but not this one.
We as human beings can not know why God take, and we can not know why God give to others. But we can only do our best to apply Gods teaching in to our life. Then we might understand Gods way of doing things.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Perhaps there is a reason larger than you or the parent that children die. Or maybe there's a reason larger than you or the people who landed the dream jobs land them.

Perhaps there is something that dictates these experiences were necessary to the child, the parent, and the person who landed the job.

Kenny

Premium Member
Here's something in scripture I looked up:

"For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

If god didn't work through you to answer prayers (so the prayers are through your actions, interactions, and interpretations as such), then what living conduit does god answer prayers through?

I don't believe Abraham heard a voice in the clouds. I'm sure his actions and obedience was his prayer rather than something or someone telling him where to go and what to do. Since Abraham is pretty far back in time, how does one ask.

Great questions... but we have to look at context:

12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

1) The audience is the church - believers. As a believer, there is a greater connection so God is working out our salvation with us and through us. This has to do with our live and our responsibility to it. Does not refer to other people's lives.

2) Acts 10:1 Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort, 2 a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to the Jewish people and prayed to God continually.

Not a believer... yet. But is praying. God hears the prayer even when he isn't a Christian. Speaks to him in a dream. If you seek you will find.

3) Acts 3:6 But Peter said, “I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene—walk!”

We don't know if the lame person was a believer but definitely a Hebrew. Wasn't expecting anything but an offering... got healed instead. The receiver may or may not have had faith but Peter and John did.

Abram "12:1 Now the Lord said to Abram,

“Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father’s house,
To the land which I will show you;

His father was an idol worshiper. Nothing tells us how much Abram knew. All we know is that God spoke to him.. the "Lord said".

So, what living conduit... could be just about anybody.