• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Debate

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
pandamonk said:
I am not quoting the bible as fact. I am quoting it, to show you where I got the, Christian, definition of God(from the Christian "holy book").I never accused, i said, maybe, or possibly. An assumption by you this time, that if there is no afterlife, you are living in nothingness. If there is no afterlife, this is all you've got, so this is everythingness. I could well be, but the thing is, i could prove myself to you. God cannot.
Great dodge and denial Pandamonk. If you aren't willing to back what you say and want to cop out and try a lame reversal then I would question your integrity in thei debate. I have assumed nothing about you, assuming is your baliwick.

pandamonk

Bennettresearch said:
Great dodge and denial Pandamonk. If you aren't willing to back what you say and want to cop out and try a lame reversal then I would question your integrity in thei debate. I have assumed nothing about you, assuming is your baliwick.
I don't know what you are getting at. I do not believe the Bible is fact, i quoted it to show you where i got my definition. You asked where i got the definition, and I showed you. I do not believe in a god, so do not have my own definition of what God is. So in a debate with a Christian, if they say the definition I have got of God from reading the Bible, i will show them where i got it. Back what i say? What didn't i back, and i will certainly back it?

pandamonk

Heehee, just found this argument. What you think? "God cannot be completely omnipotent. There are some things he cannot do. He cannot create a genuine Bank of England ten pound note. He may produce a perfect copy of a ten pound note (complete with a picture of Darwinon the reverse) but it will not be genuine. To be genuine it has to be produced by the Bank of England under the aegis of the British Government. Thus, the Government can do something which God cannot do. (This is why Tony Blair has such a high opinion of himself.)"

dictionary definition. so, basically, true
First thing wrong about this Is. The dictionary is not an authority on God. A (simplified) comparison would be asking a mechanic to explain quantum physics. You need an authority on the subject, like the bible, or a theologian.

The Bible states that God is all loving. I'd like to see where it says he is omnipotent, and omniscient. I didn't see where you "disproved" him being good so I wont say anything on that.

pandamonk said:
A perfect being cannot have wants because it has the means to fulfil those wants. As soon as it wanted, the want would be fulfilled, in no time. So there is no time, or need, for the want. It's hard to explain, and to comprehend. I hope you understand what i mean. Also, a perfect being is un-changing. You can't get better than the best. God cannot want something, because that means, whatever was there before was not perfect. But he made it, and he cannot make anything that is not perfect. He is too perfect not to make perfection, lol.:D
You are also wrong here. God wants for us to love him. He wants it so badly that he sent his only son to die for us. And if you were the last human alive on the planet, he still would have sent his only son to die for you.

P.S. sorry for double-posting, I'm still trying to find my way around here.

Godslove

True Follower
This is aimed at believers in a god.

God

A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.

the dictionary definition. so, basically, true

God is also meant to be all moral

but can God be any of those?

i don't think so.

Omnipotence(all powerful) i believe is impossible

reason: can god or any other, supposedly, omnipotent being make 2 magnets that are too powerful for god/that being to separate. if yes that god/being is not omnipotent as it cannot separate the magnets, if no that god/being is not omnipotent as it cannot make the magnets?

you may say that he/it can but we cannot understand how, as we are not omniscient like him/it. But should God not give you the answer? Maybe even he/it doesn't have them? But he must, he is omniscient. So why does he not give you them? It's like a leader of an army sending his troops into a war without any weapons, or any means of acquiring those weapons, how are they meant to win? They would obviously call on the leader for help, or just abandon the mission and give up what they were fighting for. If the leader chose not to help, like God has, then I'm sure basically all the troops would abandon it, the few that remain would certainly lose the war, and their lives. Maybe that leader never really existed and was only a rumour spread by a few men who wanted to cause chaos or were greatly mistaken in what they believed. Or maybe the leader was the one who wanted to cause chaos (sounds like someone else mentioned in the bible, does it not?). This shows that either God does not exist, and was made up by confused, mistaken, or evil men, or that it you are worshipping the completely wrong being (not all moral)

omniscience (all knowing) i also believe is impossible if god is to have free will/act/think/do anything basically.

reason: if god was omniscient he would know everything he was going to do right from the start of his/its existence therefore anything it did do would be predetermined and even god a, supposedly, omnipotent being could not change what he knew would happen. therefore god could not have free will and is just, basically, acting with no thought etc. and if god knew everything what is the point of praying? he knows what you're going to say.

originator and ruler of the universe:

ok the universe is too complicated, according to most christians, not to have a creator so must have been designed and build by god. But if god designed and built the universe does that also not make him/it too complicated not to have a creator so who created him/it? a super god? but would it/him not be too complicated, so who created him/it? a superdooper god? well who....you know where this is going. So is it not easier to say the universe was not designed or created? and maybe just accept the big bang theory or something?

just something to think about
Plain and simple to understand this if ye have great faith in God and follow him then ye will know for your self that God is Great and all powerful. for who do you suppose that gives man knowledge to create thing a pond this earth. And yes even the magnet .Did not God create the heavens and the earth and all that is in it (I know so) Amen.