• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Chose Them but For What Purpose?

Do you believe they are setting a good example for us to follow?

• yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • have not decided yet

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Oh Wise One please tells us what you remember.,.,.,so we may know-?

sign0153.gif
Try Matthew 23....the whole chapter.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I tried to read it
I read
Mumbo jumbo
What did you read-?​

Just asking as one friend to another.

I await your enlightenment.

:)-

Were you not asking about Jesus' problem with Judaism?

Matthew 23 is his assessment of the Pharisees' version of it.

What enlightenment were you waiting for exactly....? :confused:

Jacob Samuelson

You have no right to judge another in this way-

Only the Lord has that right, and the Lord my be referred to as "God" & He is judging you right now ----

as I see it :)-[/QUOTE

You are terribly mistaken friend. I had no intention to judge or claim the right to declare some kind of illness towards Christians or Jews. Yes God will judge me for any harm I do to my fellow man. If you want me to say Christians are the only ones who know what's going on in God's head then I am sorry to offend but there is no basis to that. Every church in Christianity falls incredibly short to what God intends for them to be. You cannot ignore that. Why is there so much contention towards other beliefs and claims that everyone but you and those who believe like you is damned. That goes sooooo far away from Christ Mosess Abraham and Gods teaching. Do you understand what I'm saying? Tell me where it gets confusing?

Jacob Samuelson

I believe I found one about 48 years ago.....and I'm still there.....still learning....still appreciating the precious gems that tumble from God's word.
happy0062.gif
Nothing and no one is this world is perfect, but God never asked for perfection...he only ever asked for obedience.
Tell me about this gem you found. What do you believe? Is it based on truth found from God or Man? I will prove your church, it must contain all the responsibilities of God contained by His words.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
They were priests to the nations. Yes... He made the right choice and, at least in Christian understanding, they will become the end-time evangelists.

It was the right choice because He used the faith of Abraham to bless the nations. It was the right choice because the kept the scriptures. It was the right choice because through them He taught us to show us how to treat the stranger. to show us how to be compassionate,. to show us how to be loving to your neighbor. It was the right choice because through them the Messiah came and will come again.

Peace will be upon this earth

:D At least in my viewpoint.

"It was the right choice because through them the Messiah came and will come again.
Peace will be upon this earth" Unquote.

Yes, the Messiah has come again in the form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It is fulfilled in the Jewish man... Jesus! He is every bit a "Chosen One". There is always a remnant.

Please identify the person "He" and the person who chose him "Chosen One".

If they are not different persons then the statement is wrong. Right, please?

Regards

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
"It was the right choice because through them the Messiah came and will come again.

Regards
not if he died

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Tell me about this gem you found. What do you believe? Is it based on truth found from God or Man? I will prove your church, it must contain all the responsibilities of God contained by His words.
Tell me what you believe the true church would teach and we can compare notes. :)

Tumah

Veteran Member
Israel was chosen for no other reason than that they were the offspring of his friend Abraham.
Yes, but what's that got to do with anything?

The promised seed had to come into the world as a human, so who better than the descendants of a most faithful man alive to produce him? What a shame his descendants did not emulate his faith and obedience.
Nope.

The world would have continued to enjoy God's Kingship if Adam had simply obeyed his Creator. There would have been no necessity for a Redeemer or a Messiah, a code of law, or even for a nation of Israel, because all those things were a response to Adam's sin.
You are partly right and partly wrong. It was through the code of Law that Adam expressed his obeisance to his Creator. Without a Law, there is nothing to obey (Gen. 2:15). But again, this has nothing to do with anything.

What would have happened if Adam had chosen not to disobey? We wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?
Maybe some of us wouldn't exist. And yet again, nothing to do with anything.

Your own translation did not render it the way you suggested. That is what does not fit with your claim. It says "if"...not "if only". That takes it from a command to a suggestion. It was a command....a bargain. If Israel obeyed, God would respond positively...if they didn't he would respond negatively.
No, you did not see the verse from where I took that alternate translation. Here are three examples where the same word is used. You can clearly see that it is incorrect to translate the word as "if", but rather "if only" or "would that":

Gen. 24:42
And I came today to the spring, and said, "G-d, G-d of my master Abraham, if/would that You will grant success to my way on which I am going..."
Psa. 81:9
Listen, my nation, and I will admonish you; if/would that you will listen to me.
Psa. 139:19
If/would that you will kill - [o ]G-d - the wicked, and men of bloods, depart from me.

Sometimes, the word אם although typically translated as "if" just doesn't mean that. Hebrew is a different language and it uses it's words differently than does English. In these cases, the correct translation is something that suggests request, "if only" or "would that".
At what point in time did the "new covenant" come into force for Israel? With what events did such a monumental change take place? When did the Law become something "internal" for Jews? Or hasn't it happened yet?
It hasn't happened yet. This is one of the Messianic prophecies. Generally, all the prophecies that start with "Days are coming" or something like that, are Messianic. It's particularly clear here, as it includes prophecy about Ephraim (referring to the Israelite kingdom, naturally) returning from captivity, which has not yet happened.

And what happened after that? Did Israel remain obedient to their God? What about during the days of the prophets...Joshua to Malachi? What is Israel's record there in view of what it says in Deuteronomy 30?
The number of times is immaterial. There was no stipulation that G-d would only punish us if we turn away from him 5 times and after that, we're on our own. It simply says that when we don't listen to G-d, we get punished. And that's what's happened.

Continuing on in verses15-20....

"Behold, I have set before you today life and good, and death and evil, טורְאֵ֨ה נָתַ֤תִּי לְפָנֶ֨יךָ֙ הַיּ֔וֹם אֶת־הַֽחַיִּ֖ים וְאֶת־הַטּ֑וֹב וְאֶת־הַמָּ֖וֶת וְאֶת־הָרָֽע:

16 inasmuch as I command you this day to love the Lord, your God, to walk in His ways, and to observe His commandments, His statutes, and His ordinances, so that you will live and increase, and the Lord, your God, will bless you in the land to which you are coming to take possession of it. טזאֲשֶׁ֨ר אָֽנֹכִ֣י מְצַוְּךָ֘ הַיּוֹם֒ לְאַֽהֲבָ֞ה אֶת־יְהֹוָ֤ה אֱלֹהֶ֨יךָ֙ לָלֶ֣כֶת בִּדְרָכָ֔יו וְלִשְׁמֹ֛ר מִצְו‍ֹתָ֥יו וְחֻקֹּתָ֖יו וּמִשְׁפָּטָ֑יו וְחָיִ֣יתָ וְרָבִ֔יתָ וּבֵֽרַכְךָ֙ יְהֹוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֔יךָ בָּאָ֕רֶץ אֲשֶׁר־אַתָּ֥ה בָא־שָׁ֖מָּה לְרִשְׁתָּֽהּ:

17 But if your heart deviates and you do not listen, and you will be drawn astray, and you will prostrate yourself to other deities and serve them, יזוְאִם־יִפְנֶ֥ה לְבָֽבְךָ֖ וְלֹ֣א תִשְׁמָ֑ע וְנִדַּחְתָּ֗ וְהִשְׁתַּֽחֲוִ֛יתָ לֵֽאלֹהִ֥ים אֲחֵרִ֖ים וַֽעֲבַדְתָּֽם:

18 I declare to you this day, that you will surely perish, and that you will not live long days on the land, to which you are crossing the Jordan, to come and take possession thereof. יחהִגַּ֤דְתִּי לָכֶם֙ הַיּ֔וֹם כִּ֥י אָבֹ֖ד תֹּאבֵד֑וּן לֹא־תַֽאֲרִיכֻ֤ן יָמִים֙ עַל־הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֨ר אַתָּ֤ה עֹבֵר֙ אֶת־הַיַּרְדֵּ֔ן לָב֥וֹא שָׁ֖מָּה לְרִשְׁתָּֽהּ:

19 This day, I call upon the heaven and the earth as witnesses [that I have warned] you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. You shall choose life, so that you and your offspring will live; יטהַֽעִדֹ֨תִי בָכֶ֣ם הַיּוֹם֘ אֶת־הַשָּׁמַ֣יִם וְאֶת־הָאָ֒רֶץ֒ הַֽחַיִּ֤ים וְהַמָּ֨וֶת֙ נָתַ֣תִּי לְפָנֶ֔יךָ הַבְּרָכָ֖ה וְהַקְּלָלָ֑ה וּבָֽחַרְתָּ֙ בַּֽחַיִּ֔ים לְמַ֥עַן תִּֽחְיֶ֖ה אַתָּ֥ה וְזַרְעֶֽךָ:
To love the Lord your God, to listen to His voice, and to cleave to Him. For that is your life and the length of your days, to dwell on the land which the Lord swore to your forefathers to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob to give to them. כלְאַֽהֲבָה֙ אֶת־יְהֹוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֔יךָ לִשְׁמֹ֥עַ בְּקֹל֖וֹ וּלְדָבְקָה־ב֑וֹ כִּ֣י ה֤וּא חַיֶּ֨יךָ֙ וְאֹ֣רֶךְ יָמֶ֔יךָ לָשֶׁ֣בֶת עַל־הָֽאֲדָמָ֗ה אֲשֶׁר֩ נִשְׁבַּ֨ע יְהֹוָ֧ה לַֽאֲבֹתֶ֛יךָ לְאַבְרָהָ֛ם לְיִצְחָ֥ק וּלְיַֽעֲקֹ֖ב לָתֵ֥ת לָהֶֽם:

What happened? How many times were God's prophets heeded? You already know.
As above, all these curses were materialized when we turned away from G-d. And that's as expected: if we don't follow G-d's Law, we are punished severely commensurate to the importance of keeping them. Being part of the covenant was not conditional, it was compulsory and there's no way out. What is stipulated is only whether G-d will reward us or punish us.

When I look at Israel's history, all recorded for us in the very same Hebrew writings that you have, I see that Jesus' evaluation of them was correct....they did not change. They did not listen to the prophets God sent and they did not obey them. The "learned" among the Pharisees of Jesus' day were hypocrites of the worst order. The "unlearned masses" were never considered important by the "learned ones" anyway. Education means nothing if your teachers are passing on falsehood. You point fingers at the Christians but what about Israel's appalling record?
This paragraph is nonsense as it starts with an assumption that has no validity and it ends with a complaint based on that assumption.

Written by whom? Not God.
That's not an argument, unless you plan to discredit the NT with that as well.

What "theological inheritance" was left to the next generation?
Lots.

Has Israel been experiencing God's blessing in the last century? Is Jerusalem a city of peace? Look around you.
Absolutely. Compare our lives today when we lived under Christian Europe. Leaving the persecution of Christiandom has been a wonderful blessing that has allowed Torah study to prosper by leaps and bounds! What greater blessing can there be than that?

The Law was not rocket science...why did it need elucidating? As I see it, all that did was make the simple teachings of the Law more complicated and rigid than God ever intended them to be.
If you start off with the assumption that no single item of the Law is really required and you can just gloss over it with some nice statements about the spirit of the law, then you're right, the Law can be pretty simple. However, if like us, you take G-d's Words seriously and every word has importance, then you're wrong.

This is literally the first chapter I opened up to:

Ex. 12:15 - [For] seven days unleavened [bread] shall you eat. However, on the first day, you shall remove leavening from your houses...
Ex. 12:19 - [For] seven days, leavening shall not be found in your houses...

It's impossible to follow both these commandments at the same time as translated. You're either going to be transgressing the first commandment to remove leavening from your house on the first day, or you're going to transgress the second commandment to not have leavening in your house for seven days. Here's another:

A priest who touches something unclean is forbidden from eating sanctified food. Here's when he's allowed again:
Lev. 22:6-7 "and a soul that touches it shall be impure until the evening. And he shall not eat from the sanctified [foods] excepting if he washes his flesh in water. And the sun will come and will be pured, and after he shall eat from the sanctified [foods].

What astronomical phenomenon needs to occur in order for the priest to be allowed to eat these foods?

Lev:23:40
And you shall take for yourselves on the first day: fruit of a beautiful tree, palms of dates, a branch of a thick-tree and river willows and you shall rejoice before G-d for seven days.

What the heck are we being told to do here exactly?

It is from God, how could it lack inherent importance?
I don't think you read what I wrote. Or maybe you just read what you wanted to...?

How could men add to it and plump it out without changing it?
If you start with the assumption that the Talmud adds to G-d's Word, then you might have a question. But since it doesn't, there's no question.

The scriptures teach about justice, mercy and love.....but did the Pharisees in the first century follow what it said? Jesus said they didn't. Who do I believe and why? Who do you believe and why? Impasse.
That's simple. The books of the NT were written by people who themselves never saw anything that was spoken about in the works they wrote. So there's no reason to take their word for anything. On the other hand, as I keep pointing out, there is strong reason to disbelieve what they wrote as it was clearly intended as a polemic. You're trust in the NT's narrative is as wise as trusting Trump's description of Hillary (assuming he made one) before an election.

Do you uphold all of those rituals still? What about the communion sacrifices? The sin offering? The guilt offering? If they were so important in Leviticus, why are they not carried out today as they were prescribed in the Law?
That's a stupid question that Christians keep asking and I think really exemplifies that lack of importance Christianity places on using your head. There's a commandment to tithe my fields. Do you think I'm transgressing that commandment by not tithing fields I don't have? Obviously commandments that are contingent on a time, place or item are not in effect until those parameters are met. If I have no field, I don't need to tithe it. If I have no Temple, I don't need to bring sacrifices. If it's not the middle of Nisan, I don't have to bring a Paschal sacrifice.

Isn't that the problem though? All you needed was one...the one authored by God.
You can't play both sides of the fence, buddy.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Please identify the person "He" and the person who chose him "Chosen One".

If they are not different persons then the statement is wrong. Right, please?

Regards
I'm not sure I understand the question as the comment was in a different context. I'll give it a try if I didn't answer it, please let me know.

The "Chosen one" was/is Jesus Christ (in the New Testament understanding). He was designated as the one when the Holy Spirit came upon him and a voice came from Heaven saying "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased"

In reality, even before when Gabriel said to Mary
, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God.
31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.
32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yes, but what's that got to do with anything?

The Jewish leaders of Jesus' day prided themselves on being able to claim relationship to Father Abraham and I believe that records kept in the temple confirmed their familial heritage. It is my understanding that when the temple was destroyed the records were destroyed too, so there is no way a person today can confirm their lineage. If the Messiah was to come now, how could you confirm his lineage? How would he provide his credentials?

It was through the code of Law that Adam expressed his obeisance to his Creator. Without a Law, there is nothing to obey (Gen. 2:15). But again, this has nothing to do with anything.

Adam had no laws to obey except one....'don't eat the fruit of the only tree that belonged to God.' So because there was only one command.....they didn't need a complex set of rules because they were created without defect and had no reason to disobey that simple command.....until the serpent made it seem attractive to the woman....who in turn enticed the man. There was no formal worship. By their very existence they praised God. Taking care of God's earth was not something complicated....it was sin that complicated everything, necessitating the implementation of laws to govern that sinful behavior.

Maybe some of us wouldn't exist. And yet again, nothing to do with anything.

Its got everything to do with everything. If Adam had not disobeyed God's only command, we would not be living in a world with all that sin has contributed to the misery of this life. No sin would have meant no aging, sickness or death. No sin would have meant no need for laws governing human behavior. We would all naturally follow God's direction.

Sometimes, the word אם although typically translated as "if" just doesn't mean that. Hebrew is a different language and it uses it's words differently than does English. In these cases, the correct translation is something that suggests request, "if only" or "would that".

None of those scriptures you used as examples issue an ultimatum or an interdependent agreement. None of them had to do with life and death issues.

The first one is about the choice of Isaac's wife. The servant asked God to indicate which of the women he was sent to select was most suitable. Rebecca was the one.

In the second one "IF" is used in verse 9 because it is a conditional statement....V 13 says..."But My people did not hearken to My voice, neither did Israel desire to [follow] Me." But "IF ONLY" is in verse 14, 15. "If only My people would hearken to Me, if Israel would go in My ways. In a short time I would subdue their enemies and upon their enemies I would return My hand." There is a clear distinction between the two renderings because we can see from the context why they are translated that way.

The third uses "IF ONLY" because it is a plea.

Exodus 19:5-6 says
"And now, if you obey Me and keep My covenant, you shall be to Me a treasure out of all peoples, for Mine is the entire earth. הוְעַתָּ֗ה אִם־שָׁמ֤וֹעַ תִּשְׁמְעוּ֙ בְּקֹלִ֔י וּשְׁמַרְתֶּ֖ם אֶת־בְּרִיתִ֑י וִֽהְיִ֨יתֶם לִ֤י סְגֻלָּה֙ מִכָּל־הָ֣עַמִּ֔ים כִּי־לִ֖י כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ:

6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of princes and a holy nation.' These are the words that you shall speak to the children of Israel." ווְאַתֶּ֧ם תִּֽהְיוּ־לִ֛י מַמְלֶ֥כֶת כֹּֽהֲנִ֖ים וְג֣וֹי קָד֑וֹשׁ אֵ֚לֶּה הַדְּבָרִ֔ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר תְּדַבֵּ֖ר אֶל־בְּנֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל:

This is very straight forward....."IF" Israel obeyed their God and kept his commandments, God would respond accordingly....but if they failed then the covenant reverts...they would NOT become "a kingdom of princes and a holy nation".

It seems to me to be a strange thing that you can interpret "if" as "if only" when it is convenient for you to do so. It is twisted semantics to assume that you can have that kind of control over what the word of God says to Israel. "IF" indicates a command, whereas "if only" sounds like a request. The above is clearly NOT a request....it is a conditional agreement.
This is not good justification IMO....just a lame excuse for why Israel could never get their act together.

It hasn't happened yet. This is one of the Messianic prophecies. Generally, all the prophecies that start with "Days are coming" or something like that, are Messianic. It's particularly clear here, as it includes prophecy about Ephraim (referring to the Israelite kingdom, naturally) returning from captivity, which has not yet happened.

What if the days have come and gone and you missed him? You must be very patient people.....not obedient apparently...and seemingly not determined to always obey your God as he commanded (not requested) but you will wait until someone comes along that fits into your definition of the Messiah. I guess after all this time, its not a priority.....?

The number of times is immaterial. There was no stipulation that G-d would only punish us if we turn away from him 5 times and after that, we're on our own. It simply says that when we don't listen to G-d, we get punished. And that's what's happened.

Actually once was enough. It goes with the "if" command to obey your God and keep his covenant. Why did Israel fail on so many occasions? Why is God under obligation to keep forgiving a people he wanted to exterminate?

After the golden calf incident, "...the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people. טוַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהֹוָ֖ה אֶל־משֶׁ֑ה רָאִ֨יתִי֙ אֶת־הָעָ֣ם הַזֶּ֔ה וְהִנֵּ֥ה עַם־קְשֵׁה־עֹ֖רֶף הֽוּא:

10 Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation." יוְעַתָּה֙ הַנִּ֣יחָה לִּ֔י וְיִֽחַר־אַפִּ֥י בָהֶ֖ם וַֽאֲכַלֵּ֑ם וְאֶֽעֱשֶׂ֥ה אֽוֹתְךָ֖ לְג֥וֹי גָּדֽוֹל:
(Exodus 32:9-10)

At what point does God judge the nation as incorrigible? Jesus indicated that the time had come back in the first century.

As above, all these curses were materialized when we turned away from G-d. And that's as expected: if we don't follow G-d's Law, we are punished severely commensurate to the importance of keeping them. Being part of the covenant was not conditional, it was compulsory and there's no way out. What is stipulated is only whether G-d will reward us or punish us.

But the punishment was the reverse of the reward. If he wanted to exterminate Israel because of their failures, then what was the only thing that prompted him to keep forgiving them? He had not yet produced the Messiah.....and when he did, because Jesus did not fit the pre-determined mold that Israel had created for him, they rejected him and had him put to death....just as their forefathers had treated the many prophets sent to correct this wayward nation in the past.

That's not an argument, unless you plan to discredit the NT with that as well.

I would hardly put the Jewish Rabbi's on a par with the apostles....but that is because of my beliefs concerning Jesus.

Such as.....?

Absolutely. Compare our lives today when we lived under Christian Europe. Leaving the persecution of Christiandom has been a wonderful blessing that has allowed Torah study to prosper by leaps and bounds! What greater blessing can there be than that?

You see Israel today as a place of peace and prosperity? A blessed land and a blessed people? I must be hearing the wrong news reports. :shrug:

As Isaiah wrote "And when you spread out your hands, I will hide My eyes from you, even when you pray at length, I do not hear; your hands are full of blood." (Isaiah 1:15) Are Israel's hands not still "full of blood"?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

not if he died
A human has to die, like Jewish-Jesus-Messiah died so did the Islamic-Jesus-Messiah die.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand the question as the comment was in a different context. I'll give it a try if I didn't answer it, please let me know.

The "Chosen one" was/is Jesus Christ (in the New Testament understanding). He was designated as the one when the Holy Spirit came upon him and a voice came from Heaven saying "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased"

In reality, even before when Gabriel said to Mary
, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God.
31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.
32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
So who chose the "Chosen-One", Jesus himself chose or the Jehovah/G-d chose Jesus as a human prophet/messenger to the Jewish people?

Regards

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I want the world Jewish community to call upon the Jewish Israeli people to ask the Lord for forgiveness and repent for their sins and proclaiming the Palestinians as one of their own, children of God just as their children are.

Am I asking too much?
We repent of our sins as a people every year on Yom Kippur.

Does the State of Israel have a halo over its head? No. But it still has the right to exist as a Jewish state, and it's way past time for the Palestinians to recognize that--there can be no peace without this.

The Children of Israel are set apart as a priestly nation. The Palestinians are not part of that, nor are any Gentiile people. It doesn't mean that God doesn't love and value Gentiles.

Anyone who participates in terrorism, Jew or Palestinian, is a terrible person who needs to repent, and furthermore needs to be taken into custody, tried, and punished. That would include ALL of Hamas...

james dixon

Premium Member
We repent of our sins as a people every year on Yom Kippur.

So, are you saying that you are a natural born sinner who cannot help but sin; so each year you have this "Yom Kippur" that cleans your sinful soul on a yearly bases-? (just asking)

Does the State of Israel have a halo over its head? No. But it still has the right to exist as a Jewish state

Your statement on it's face is racists.

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. As of the 2000s, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition.[1]
Racism - Wikipedia

, and it's way past time for the Palestinians to recognize that--there can be no peace without this.

it's way past time for the Israeli Jews to recognize that--there can be no peace without this.

The Children of Israel are set apart as a priestly nation. The Palestinians are not part of that, nor are any Gentiile people. It doesn't mean that God doesn't love and value Gentiles.

Racism
is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. As of the 2000s, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition.[1]

Racism - Wikipedia

Anyone who participates in terrorism, Jew or Palestinian, is a terrible person who needs to repent, and furthermore needs to be taken into custody, tried, and punished. That would include ALL of Hamas...

Anyone who participates in terrorism, Jew or Palestinian, is a terrible person who needs to repent, and furthermore needs to be taken into custody, tried, and punished. That would include ALL of Hamas... & IDF snipers & racists minded illegal settlers who now live on the rubble of bulldozed Palestinian villages.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So, are you saying that you are a natural born sinner who cannot help but sin; so each year you have this "Yom Kippur" that cleans your sinful soul on a yearly bases-? (just asking)
As an individual Jew, I repent of my sins as I commit them. This is how I spiritually grow. But I'm not just an individual. I am a member of a people, and we sink or swim together. Thus we have seasons during the year where we repent together. Yom Kippur is a day of repentance, affliction, and atonement that is part of the Law given to us by God.

is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. As of the 2000s, the use of the term "racism" does not easily fall under a single definition.[1]
Racism - Wikipedia

it's way past time for the Israeli Jews to recognize that--there can be no peace without this.

Racism

Racism - Wikipedia
I never said Jews were better, not once, nor have I ever said that Jews should have an exalted status in Israel.

All I said is that the Palestinians need to recognize Israel as a Jewish state. The world has many, many Muslim countries, Christian countries, Atheist countries, Secular countries, Buddhist countries,and even a Hindu country with .a gazillion people. I think the world can tolerate one tiny Jewish country.

[Anyone who participates in terrorism, Jew or Palestinian, is a terrible person who needs to repent, and furthermore needs to be taken into custody, tried, and punished. That would include ALL of Hamas... & IDF snipers & racists minded illegal settlers who now live on the rubble of bulldozed Palestinian villages.
Yes, I agree. There is Jewish terrorism that goes on in the West Bank, and tries to subvert the peace process. The problem is, the UN condemns the Settlers, but not Hamas. It's a form of anti-Semitism.

james dixon

Premium Member
Yes, I agree. There is Jewish terrorism that goes on in the West Bank, and tries to subvert the peace process. The problem is, the UN condemns the Settlers, but not Hamas. It's a form of anti-Semitism.

I checked your sources & it does seem that you have a point.

UN Condemns Israel's 'Excessive Use of Force' in Gaza, Rejects Amendment Denouncing Hamas

General Assembly passed the resolution with 120 countries in favor and only 8 opposing. U.S. tried to add Hamas condemnation, but couldn't garner sufficient majority

https://tinyurl.com/y7ttayno

The Latest: US proposal to condemn Hamas fails in UN vote
Jun. 01, 2018

The Latest: US proposal to condemn Hamas fails in UN vote

Hamas (Arabic: حماس Ḥamās, an acronym of حركة المقاومة الاسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah Islamic Resistance Movement) is a Palestinian Sunni-Islamist fundamentalist organization. It has a social service wing, Dawah, and a military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades.
Hamas - Wikipedia

IndigoChild5559, you are making some good points but you are not winning the war. Committing an atrocity because one was committed against you is still an atrocity. This endless cycle of killing and hate has to come to an end & that process has to begin somewhere.

I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events and found them wanting. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Jewish leaders of Jesus' day prided themselves on being able to claim relationship to Father Abraham and I believe that records kept in the temple confirmed their familial heritage. It is my understanding that when the temple was destroyed the records were destroyed too, so there is no way a person today can confirm their lineage. If the Messiah was to come now, how could you confirm his lineage? How would he provide his credentials?
The records were not kept in the Temple. Why would they be? They were kept by the individual families and passed down the generations. I met someone about 15 years ago who had a book of genealogy showing his lineage up to King David (although it wasn't all through males). Priests and Levites as well have always needed to know that they were Priests and Levites, because they (esepcially Priests) still have relevant Laws that affect them as such.

But even that aside, this problem is resolved in two ways: Someone who is capable of fulfilling every single other property, pretty much guarantees that he's David's descendant. No one else can/has successfully fulfilled them all to date. Along with the Messiah's arrival, we expect Elijah the Prophet to come and resolve many other problems. He - as a prophet, can definitely determine the lineage of the Messiah.

Adam had no laws to obey except one....'don't eat the fruit of the only tree that belonged to God.' So because there was only one command.....they didn't need a complex set of rules because they were created without defect and had no reason to disobey that simple command.....until the serpent made it seem attractive to the woman....who in turn enticed the man. There was no formal worship. By their very existence they praised God. Taking care of God's earth was not something complicated....it was sin that complicated everything, necessitating the implementation of laws to govern that sinful behavior.
This's your non-Scriptural position. And it seems you're only bringing it because you can't recall what the original point you were trying to make was.

Its got everything to do with everything. If Adam had not disobeyed God's only command, we would not be living in a world with all that sin has contributed to the misery of this life. No sin would have meant no aging, sickness or death. No sin would have meant no need for laws governing human behavior. We would all naturally follow God's direction.
Why do you assume that we would exist altogether and why do you assume that only Adam would go through such a trial and not any later generation, had he succeeded?

None of those scriptures you used as examples issue an ultimatum or an interdependent agreement. None of them had to do with life and death issues.

The first one is about the choice of Isaac's wife. The servant asked God to indicate which of the women he was sent to select was most suitable. Rebecca was the one.
Yes it is. And form the context, you can tell that it's a plea. There' no condition attached to the statement.

In the second one "IF" is used in verse 9 because it is a conditional statement....V 13 says..."But My people did not hearken to My voice, neither did Israel desire to [follow] Me." But "IF ONLY" is in verse 14, 15. "If only My people would hearken to Me, if Israel would go in My ways. In a short time I would subdue their enemies and upon their enemies I would return My hand." There is a clear distinction between the two renderings because we can see from the context why they are translated that way.
The plea was to listen to G-d and not serve false gods. Verse 13 is explaining that we didn't fulfill G-d's plea, not that we didn't fulfill the condition.
Verse 14 doesn't use the same word, although it has the same meaning.

The third uses "IF ONLY" because it is a plea.
That's right.

Exodus 19:5-6 says
"And now, if you obey Me and keep My covenant, you shall be to Me a treasure out of all peoples, for Mine is the entire earth. הוְעַתָּ֗ה אִם־שָׁמ֤וֹעַ תִּשְׁמְעוּ֙ בְּקֹלִ֔י וּשְׁמַרְתֶּ֖ם אֶת־בְּרִיתִ֑י וִֽהְיִ֨יתֶם לִ֤י סְגֻלָּה֙ מִכָּל־הָ֣עַמִּ֔ים כִּי־לִ֖י כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ:

6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of princes and a holy nation.' These are the words that you shall speak to the children of Israel." ווְאַתֶּ֧ם תִּֽהְיוּ־לִ֛י מַמְלֶ֥כֶת כֹּֽהֲנִ֖ים וְג֣וֹי קָד֑וֹשׁ אֵ֚לֶּה הַדְּבָרִ֔ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר תְּדַבֵּ֖ר אֶל־בְּנֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל:

This is very straight forward....."IF" Israel obeyed their God and kept his commandments, God would respond accordingly....but if they failed then the covenant reverts...they would NOT become "a kingdom of princes and a holy nation".

"And now, if only you would listen to My voice and keep my covenant and be for Me a treasure out of all peoples, for Mine is the whole land!".

This is a very straightforward request. G-d is begging us to listen to His commandments and be close to Him. Isn't that the love of a Father?

It seems to me to be a strange thing that you can interpret "if" as "if only" when it is convenient for you to do so. It is twisted semantics to assume that you can have that kind of control over what the word of God says to Israel. "IF" indicates a command, whereas "if only" sounds like a request. The above is clearly NOT a request....it is a conditional agreement.
No, this translation is necessary because elsewhere in the Tanach we are told (repeatedly) that the covenant is eternal. The nature of an eternal covenant, is that it can't be broken. Therefore the verse here can't be a condition to the existence of the covenant. And this is something you see from every prophet from Moses until Malachi. Every passage of chastisement from the prophets comes with a passage of repentance or returning to G-d or something of that nature.
So it would be illogical to translate this passage as a condition to the existence of the covenant, considering.

This is not good justification IMO....just a lame excuse for why Israel could never get their act together.
As expressed earlier, this is only one (small) passage. There are plenty of other passages clearly describing the suffering that would happen to us for not following G-d - and all of those passages were fulfilled, multiple times. You seem to think that I am arguing that we can do whatever we want without reproof. That is not my argument and this is at least the second time that I'm clarifying this. We will be - and we have been- punished severely for not following G-d's Laws. What I am arguing, is that the punishment will never be the nullification of the covenant, it will always come in the form of some sort of physical destruction that will leave some remnant who will carry the torch onward. As we see clearly from history.

What if the days have come and gone and you missed him? You must be very patient people.....not obedient apparently...and seemingly not determined to always obey your God as he commanded (not requested) but you will wait until someone comes along that fits into your definition of the Messiah. I guess after all this time, its not a priority.....?
It appears that you are racist. You are looking at the entire Jewish people as though we are all the same. We're not, nor have we ever been. As a nation, that means looking at all of us together, we have more sinners among us than righteous and for this reason we have not yet been worthy of redemption. But there has always been a group of righteous Jews, just like the Prophets in their time and the Pharisees in theirs', who have held on to G-d's Laws and taught them to anyone among the nation who was willing to know. So you're equivalence between being disobedient and waiting for a specific Messiah is false.

On that same note, this is not our definition of the Messiah, this is what is written in the Tanach. What you really mean to say, is "but you will wait until someone comes along that is not the NT definition of the Messiah". Which is correct, because the NT is a false book. Had you not had the NT, your definition of the Messiah would be no different than ours. And that itself should make you suspicious of the NT.

Actually once was enough. It goes with the "if" command to obey your God and keep his covenant. Why did Israel fail on so many occasions? Why is God under obligation to keep forgiving a people he wanted to exterminate?

After the golden calf incident, "...the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people.

10 Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation."
(Exodus 32:9-10)

At what point does God judge the nation as incorrigible?Jesus indicated that the time had come back in the first century.

This passage further proves my point. You forget that Moses was Jewish. G-d cannot remove the covenant that He already made eternally with the Jewish people. So He says here that Moses (and his family obviously, since Moses had no other children after this for it to have otherwise been fulfilled) would become the remnant of the Jewish people who would carry the torch to his following generations.

There is no such thing as every Jewish person in the world being unworthy of maintaining the covenant, just like in the case above. And so Jesus, or at least, the authors of the NT, were wrong about that as well.

But the punishment was the reverse of the reward. If he wanted to exterminate Israel because of their failures, then what was the only thing that prompted him to keep forgiving them? He had not yet produced the Messiah.....and when he did, because Jesus did not fit the pre-determined mold that Israel had created for him, they rejected him and had him put to death....just as their forefathers had treated the many prophets sent to correct this wayward nation in the past.
No, what prompted G-d to keep forgiving us, is that He chose us to be the the people of His eternal covenant. There is nothing more than that.

I would hardly put the Jewish Rabbi's on a par with the apostles....but that is because of my beliefs concerning Jesus.
Then it's not really good as an argument.

Such as.....?
Background information to Biblical personalities and events, methods of Biblical exegesis, paths of connecting to G-d, etc. etc.

You see Israel today as a place of peace and prosperity? A blessed land and a blessed people? I must be hearing the wrong news reports. :shrug:
You have to learn to see graduation. Everything isn't black or white. In comparison to what we suffered in Christian and Islamic lands over the past 2,000 years, today were are experiencing an unprecedented degree of peace and prosperity. Similarly, in comparison to our degree of observance in Christian and Islamic lands, we are also experiencing unprecedented levels of observance. These two go hand in hand as laid out in Deut.

We are not yet perfect, nor is our peace and prosperity. We do not expect to become perfect until the advent of the Messiah, nor do we expect our peace and prosperity to be perfect until then.

As Isaiah wrote "And when you spread out your hands, I will hide My eyes from you, even when you pray at length, I do not hear; your hands are full of blood." (Isaiah 1:15) Are Israel's hands not still "full of blood"?
Of course not.