• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Can be Wrong

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So a birth or a car going into a swamp are not mistakes.
GOOD! For the birth of Adam and Eve are not a mistake and thus mankind! WOW! THIS IS A MIRACLE! :D Who would have ever thought that Skwim would be in agreement with a conservative Christian.
Why? the whole Jesus "suffering" thing was part of the plan. Being omniscient, before Jesus even arrived on earth god knew exactly what Jesus would be going through.

Why not?

I remember as an Assistant Manager of a grocery store someone had pooped the men's bathroom... on the floor and the wall.

SOMEONE had to clean it. We drew straws (me included) and the short end of the stick landed one someone who didn't want to do it. I was sorry he had to do it although someone had to do it, The difference with Jesus is he volunteered willingly. So I personally have no problem with the "sorry" portion.

Thank you for your hospitality.

Why... it's my pleasure! :) But that's the LAST time I say anything nice to you! :mad:;)

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
GOOD! For the birth of Adam and Eve are not a mistake and thus mankind! WOW! THIS IS A MIRACLE! :D Who would have ever thought that Skwim would be in agreement with a conservative Christian.
Just to be clear here. Mistakes are matters of decisions, NOT the product of the decision, although often times a person will unthinkingly take them as such. A car going into a swamp is nothing more than a car going into a swamp---along with all the attendant consequences. Whereas purposely making the car go into the swamp constitutes the mistake.

I remember as an Assistant Manager of a grocery store someone had pooped the men's bathroom... on the floor and the wall.

SOMEONE had to clean it. We drew straws (me included) and the short end of the stick landed one someone who didn't want to do it. I was sorry he had to do it although someone had to do it, The difference with Jesus is he volunteered willingly. So I personally have no problem with the "sorry" portion.
I assume that as an assistant manager you were obligated to see that the mess was cleaned up. And as an employee who wanted to retain their job you were in no position to decide that the bathroom go uncleaned. In effect, you were forced to see that someone do it. So I fail to see the rational behind your being sorry. I simply think you were more saddened or felt grim than sorry.

Why... it's my pleasure! :) But that's the LAST time I say anything nice to you! :mad:;)
Just don't get the idea you're the first. :p

Milton Platt

Have you considered that it might be an issue of mistranslation or misinterpretation?

If that is the case, then it throws the entire collection of stories in the Bible into question. If we can't correctly understand the stories after thousands of years trying, then they are not of much value.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
1 Samuel 15:11
11 I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the Lord all night.
Technically Israel made Saul king. :D I'm certain if it's true for one it's true for all of them.

What's wrong with God being sorry for allowing evil? Wouldn't you be sorry if you were in the same situation?

RebeccaS

Premium Member
Mormon Christians believe that God is continually progressing, which doesn't necessarily mean God isn't perfect (because maybe it is just perfectly okay to learn and grow--I guess it depends on your understanding of the definition of perfection), but just that God is not stagnant or damned. The concept is that God must be billions of lightyears ahead of us in knowledge, but is still discovering and/or creating. It makes sense to me. If you're already the smartest being in the Universe then you can't necessarily be "taught" by someone/something else, and so the only way to continually progress is via trial and error. I obviously don't have the capacity to think like God with my puny human brain, should God exist, but had I personally terraformed Earth and watched over millennia as all us murderous little jerks wrecked havoc, I might be like "Yeah, in hindsight this might have been a mistake." And yet there are times that I have read something written by Rumi or listened to rapturous music and thought that even if we are not worthy of life as a whole, perhaps humanity is worth all the mess in these rare expressions of genius. I'm not convinced, but I'm not completely opposed to the idea either.

If that is the case, then it throws the entire collection of stories in the Bible into question. If we can't correctly understand the stories after thousands of years trying, then they are not of much value.
Maybe God didn't bother with the details and just made sure that the essential parts were correctly translated.

Hawkins

God has to do what is necessary. The 'sorry' is for communicating with those humans who may not understand the big picture.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Answered in your previous thread on this subject.

A reversal of thought cannot describe an unchanging God. Why force that illogic?

The problem is with the authors. It is not efficient for perspectives constrained within time, to describe God who is not constrained. There is a subconscious attempt to worship these constrained perspectives.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

In another thread it is said that "God, who is never wrong about anything." and "God is Holy, all-knowing and never wrong." Because I didn't want to clutter the thread with my reply I've created this one to explain why these claims are in error, and if their author had read his Bible he would know this. In any case, just so there's no misunderstanding about the following three examples I've quoted below---and there are others---a couple of definitions from Merriam Webster.

"regret"
regretted; regretting

transitive verb
2: to be very sorry for
"sorry"
sorrier; sorriest
transitive verb
2. feeling sorrow, regret, or penitence​

Pretty much synonyms aren't they.

Q. So why do we regret or feel sorry for the things we did? Because they were the right things to do? Hardly. We regret and feel sorry because they were the wrong things to do. We were wrong to do them, as was god for what he did.

On to the three: ;)

Genesis 6:6-7
6 And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. 7So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

1 Samuel 15:11
11 I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the Lord all night.

Jeremiah 42:10
If you will only remain in this land, then I will build you up and not pull you down; I will plant
you, and not pluck you up; for I am sorry for the disaster that I have brought upon you.

In short then: GOD WAS WRONG.

You're right. It's somehow easier to just accept and regurgitate. Most would rather not test for accuracy.

Tumah

Veteran Member
A reversal of thought cannot describe an unchanging God. Why force that illogic?

The problem is with the authors. It is not efficient for perspectives constrained within time, to describe God who is not constrained. There is a subconscious attempt to worship these constrained perspectives.
That was what I described it as meaning when referring to people. When it refers to G-d, its describing an impending nullification of an action - not of thought.

Sleeppy

That was what I described it as meaning when referring to people. When it refers to G-d, its describing an impending nullification of an action - not of thought.

The golden calf incident comes to mind. Moses specifically tells God to repent of His intent to destroy the Israelites.

Sleeppy

From the decree which G-d had made to destroy the Jews.

Right.

That idea is, maybe not so obviously, unsustainable.

It's a change, describing God's direction and intent-- and it simultaneously limits God's knowledge, while elevating Moses'. Perspectives within time attract that specific error.

Kelly of the Phoenix

God: Gonna toast two cities. Be woke, people.
Abe: For real? Gomorrah doesn't even factor into the plot. Doesn't this strike You as a bit mean?
God: What would be less mean?
*goes through long haggling process*
God: Okay, so less than a dozen people and I don't toast them.
Abe: But, for real, 99% of the victims had nothing to do with the plot ...
God: I'm gonna nuke them both.
Abe: YOU COULDN'T FIND TEN?
God: LOL, I'm counting just the people rioting. That way, I can say I couldn't find any innocent people.
Abe: *facepalm*