• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God broken down into 2 parts

I thought it might be fun to discuss the creation of gods. In my opinion god is made up of two parts 1st is who they are and 2nd is what they can do.

The first part of God, I mentioned, I believe is the most important and real part of God. The human brain is capable of creating multiple personalities and characters. For example multiple personality disorders, child's imaginary friend, or a writer's characters in a book. What determines how much affect these characters have on a person depends on how real a person believes these imaginary beings to be.a

The second part is the magical and supernatural powers attributed to these characters and personalities.

When god is broken down into these two basic parts I think it becomes understandable why everyone has different experiences with god and imagines god in different ways.

So my question to everyone is, is it possible to acknowledge that God is real in the minds of those who believe he is real and can have a real effect on that person's mind without having any supernatural abilities or powers?

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
is it possible to acknowledge that God is real in the minds of those who believe he is real and can have a real effect on that person's mind without having any supernatural abilities or powers?
I don't know about real. It's a particular kind of sort-of-real, apparently able to go beyond self-pretense in some people. But it very rarely gets confused with really-real.

For example, if I believed the supernatural were really-real, then I'd have teams of scientists and all branches of the military examining all possible utilisations, threats, making contact, negotiating, political positioning and so on. I'd be pouring billions examining miracles to work out the techniques involved. But nobody does. These things don't even get talked about ─ they're totally off the radar.

Maybe it suggests we've evolved to have a religious space in our heads, perhaps to affirm our solidarity as a tribe? But like most things humans do, some are strongly into it, others are agin it, and a lot are in the middle, doing something else.

I don't know about real. It's a particular kind of sort-of-real, apparently able to go beyond self-pretense in some people. But it very rarely gets confused with really-real.

For example, if I believed the supernatural were really-real, then I'd have teams of scientists and all branches of the military examining all possible utilisations, threats, making contact, negotiating, political positioning and so on. I'd be pouring billions examining miracles to work out the techniques involved. But nobody does. These things don't even get talked about ─ they're totally off the radar.

Maybe it suggests we've evolved to have a religious space in our heads, perhaps to affirm our solidarity as a tribe? But like most things humans do, some are strongly into it, others are agin it, and a lot are in the middle, doing something else.

I completely understand what you are saying about it being "real". Which is why I felt it was important to separate god into the two different parts. I have ever never seen any evidence that points to supernatural causes or magic. But I have seen people who have been able to overcome addiction, cope with loss, and become stronger because of their prayer and personal talks with god and these are real measurable things.

So as an atheist I wonder if there is a way for humans to cultivate this ability of what I believe to be self-therapy. Where we feel comfortable saying aloud what our faults are, what our hopes are, and the feeling associated with that of thinking someone is listening. Without believing that who we are talking to is an almighty, all knowing, all present creator of the universe.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So as an atheist I wonder if there is a way for humans to cultivate this ability of what I believe to be self-therapy. Where we feel comfortable saying aloud what our faults are, what our hopes are, and the feeling associated with that of thinking someone is listening. Without believing that who we are talking to is an almighty, all knowing, all present creator of the universe.
It's be interesting to know whether religious belief works better to eg kick the habit, than best-practice psychology, I've spoken to people who've worked in drug rehab, and they said their techniques work for some, work the third or fourth time for others, never ever work for quite a few. Though that was about ten years ago, now I think of it.

The answer to your question, though, would seem to require expertise I can't pretend to have. And maybe there's still no magic pill for the major addictions.