• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and omnipotence

Merlin

is it important that we believe that he is omnipotent?

How many faiths believe that he is, or does he have limitations?

Aqualung

Tasty
I think he has certain limitations. For example, our entire existence here is so we can learn and progress, which means that god couldn't create us already progressed.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
I think he has certain limitations. For example, our entire existence here is so we can learn and progress, which means that god couldn't create us already progressed.
Is it couldn't or didn't

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
Don't you think that he could have created us already progressed, but that that would have defeated the whole point of our lives ?;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
No, I don't think he could have.

You don't think that God could have created us already progressed ? so you put limitations on God; how so ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Merlin said:
Is there any evidence for your belief?
Answering on Aqualung's behalf, from a stance of pure logic, one would have to say no - the only evidence would be had God tried and not succeeded.

Aqualung

Tasty
The fact that he didn't. He loves us so much that he couldn't have just made us like this, knowing that some of us would not return, if he actually loved us that much.

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
You don't think that God could have created us already progressed ? so you put limitations on God; how so ?
God is not just some fantastical creature that makes up his own rules. He had rules to follow too.

Aqualung

Tasty
Radar said:
WOW!!!!! A believer said god couldn't do something. You have my attention now.
Knockout You wanna go, buddy? :D
That's because I actually read the bible and try to form my beleifs to it, not form my beleifs and then read the parts, and only the parts, of the bible that fit my beleifs.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Merlin said:
is it important that we believe that he is omnipotent?
Merlin said:
Of course, but we have to respect God and to not think that he may make himself like us.

I'll give you an example.

If there is a lecture by a professor. Do you imagine that he may suddnly jump over the table dancing? NO NO of course ... impossible.

So, It's the same with God that he can't insult himself to become a human being like us because he made us, he created us and it's impossible to imagine that he may come living among us to eat, drink and after that ......

So, what is the benefit of all thousands of prophets if he can simply do it by himself as many people may think so.:rolleyes:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
Knockout You wanna go, buddy? :D
That's because I actually read the bible and try to form my beleifs to it, not form my beleifs and then read the parts, and only the parts, of the bible that fit my beleifs.
So, where, my friend, in the Bible, does it say that God was unable to create "already progressed" people ? - I would have thought, that as such an ardent Bible reader, you would have realized that he did created people who were already progressed - namely Adam and Eve; until that time when he 'demoted' them for being silly with apples and snakes........;)

Meesheltx

I don't see why the Christian God couldn't have created us already progressed...if you're going to throw logic out the window to believe anyway, then why would it be impossible to believe that we were only just created and all of the memories/exeriences/history, and everything was created by God and so that we just start here in this time and progress from here....just a thought.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Aqualung said:
couldn't.
God with all his greatness couldn't? :areyoucra

I think you have a certain defenition of God that most of Christians don't agree with.

I can see that many people still have shortage in understaing what is God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Meesheltx said:
I don't see why the Christian God couldn't have created us already progressed...if you're going to throw logic out the window to believe anyway, then why would it be impossible to believe that we were only just created and all of the memories/exeriences/history, and everything was created by God and so that we just start here in this time and progress from here....just a thought.
Just a thought....but one which I see that leads nowhere. What is there after reaching the Goal of 'oneness with God' ? there is none.

The whole point of our existance is to prove to God, that we have total Faith in him, and that we are prepared to do whatever we can, in our bumbling, sinful ways, to emulate the life Of Christ - that is what will lead us to God. To circumvent that whole process would be a futile 'But I have got here before I started'.;)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The Truth said:
I think you have a certain defenition of God that most of Christians don't agree with.

I can see that many people still have shortage in understaing what is God.
Aqualung's understanding of God may (or may not) be different from most Christians, but that doesn't mean she has a shortage in understanding God. That kind of comment has no place in debate.