1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Natural Laws?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Daniel Burbank, Feb 27, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, he did, making him omnipotent

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, he didn't, he is governed by natural law (and therefore not omnipotent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, he didn't, but he is still omnipotent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Other (respond)

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Daniel Burbank

Ratings:
    +10
    I wasn't sure where this should go, so if it's in the wrong spot, then move it.

If you believe in God, do you believe that God is bound by natural laws, or did God create natural laws in order to maintain order (or whatever) in the universe, or something else?

I believe that he created natural laws, but I'm not going to debate it right now. Feel free to debate it with others if you wish.

2. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,776
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe in God... and I believe that He created natural laws, and is not bound by them.

3. Ibrahim Al-Amin

Ratings:
    +33
    I believe natural laws are the physical manifestations of God's Will. We are bound by those natural laws and are therefore only able to conceptualize within those boundaries.

4. Master Vigil

Master Vigil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +607
    I believe natural laws effected our existence, and we created the concept of god.

5. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,656
    "other ...respond" To be frank, I am not sure; as far as I am concerned, the answer could be any of the first three, but I am sure that God had a hand in shaping out universe, whether it was already there or not, I am unsure.;)

6. Mike182

Mike182 Flaming Queer

Ratings:
    +1,388
    i believe the Gods are apart of, and use the laws of nature

7. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I believe He did create natural laws. From the Catholic perspective, this is why you have some consistency in morality throughout religions, or non-religious. Whether you see this coming from God or not, the innate need for the human species to maintain order is undeniable. Forming a morality is part the attempt to fulfill this need of order. And it just so happens to align itself to religious tenets.

8. ashai

ashai Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Ushta Dan

Well as a Zoroastrian I believe both.:D That is, God created Natural Laws , in the sense S/He is the source of them. And I believe S/He is bound by them, since they are an aspect of His nature . Indeed Asha, an Aspect of the Most Wise, is the compendium of natural laws. However we define natural to include the ethical/spiritual laws as well as the physical.:bow:

Ushta Te
    Ashai

9. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,820
    Religion:
    Judaism
    So, according to you, matter and energy have no intrinsic attributes.

10. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,656
    If they have (which of course they do), does that necessarily exclude a 'catalyst' (and I call that catalyst 'God' - and no, of course I don't have any proof, that is pure conjecture).

11. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,820
    Religion:
    Judaism
    There is a tendency to reify natural law, to pretend, for example, that you don't float into space because you 'obey' the law of gravity when, on the contrary, the law of gravity is simple a human description of what you do - a description of a regularity resulting from the intrinsic attributes of space-time. Prettify it with talk of catalysts if it makes you feel better ...

12. Jayhawker Soule

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,820
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Other: no God(s).

13. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +469
    Jay,

I think you're question is non sequitur. Of course energy and matter have intrinsic attributes, however where did matter and energy come from? And if you say they have always been, I say sure, but who/what flipped the switch?

Regards,
    Scott

14. Maxist

Maxist Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I am a non-Theist, and so beleive that a non-sentient being was responsible did all of this. Perhaps only circomstance was the perpatrator of all of this pain.