• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Natural Laws?

Did God create natural laws?

• Yes, he did, making him omnipotent

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No, he didn't, he is governed by natural law (and therefore not omnipotent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he didn't, but he is still omnipotent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other (respond)

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
I wasn't sure where this should go, so if it's in the wrong spot, then move it.

If you believe in God, do you believe that God is bound by natural laws, or did God create natural laws in order to maintain order (or whatever) in the universe, or something else?

I believe that he created natural laws, but I'm not going to debate it right now. Feel free to debate it with others if you wish.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe in God... and I believe that He created natural laws, and is not bound by them.

I believe natural laws are the physical manifestations of God's Will. We are bound by those natural laws and are therefore only able to conceptualize within those boundaries.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
"other ...respond" To be frank, I am not sure; as far as I am concerned, the answer could be any of the first three, but I am sure that God had a hand in shaping out universe, whether it was already there or not, I am unsure.;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Daniel Burbank said:
If you believe in God, do you believe that God is bound by natural laws, or did God create natural laws in order to maintain order (or whatever) in the universe, or something else?

I believe that he created natural laws, but I'm not going to debate it right now. Feel free to debate it with others if you wish.
I believe He did create natural laws. From the Catholic perspective, this is why you have some consistency in morality throughout religions, or non-religious. Whether you see this coming from God or not, the innate need for the human species to maintain order is undeniable. Forming a morality is part the attempt to fulfill this need of order. And it just so happens to align itself to religious tenets.

ashai

Daniel Burbank said:
I wasn't sure where this should go, so if it's in the wrong spot, then move it.

Ushta Dan

Well as a Zoroastrian I believe both.:D That is, God created Natural Laws , in the sense S/He is the source of them. And I believe S/He is bound by them, since they are an aspect of His nature . Indeed Asha, an Aspect of the Most Wise, is the compendium of natural laws. However we define natural to include the ethical/spiritual laws as well as the physical.:bow:

Ushta Te
Ashai

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jayhawker Soule said:
So, according to you, matter and energy have no intrinsic attributes.

If they have (which of course they do), does that necessarily exclude a 'catalyst' (and I call that catalyst 'God' - and no, of course I don't have any proof, that is pure conjecture).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
If they have (which of course they do), ...
There is a tendency to reify natural law, to pretend, for example, that you don't float into space because you 'obey' the law of gravity when, on the contrary, the law of gravity is simple a human description of what you do - a description of a regularity resulting from the intrinsic attributes of space-time. Prettify it with talk of catalysts if it makes you feel better ...

Popeyesays

Jayhawker Soule said:
So, according to you, matter and energy have no intrinsic attributes.

Jay,

I think you're question is non sequitur. Of course energy and matter have intrinsic attributes, however where did matter and energy come from? And if you say they have always been, I say sure, but who/what flipped the switch?

Regards,
Scott

Maxist

I am a non-Theist, and so beleive that a non-sentient being was responsible did all of this. Perhaps only circomstance was the perpatrator of all of this pain.