• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and homosexuality.

JJ50

The Bible is the work of humans nothing to do with any god which more than likely doesn't exist, imo.

Goodman John

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

If one reads these verses from Romans 1 in context with the previous verses, it become clear that the citizens of this apocryphal town were not necessarily sodomites or engaged in weird sex- whatever they were doing in that respect was obviously just fine by God. What they were punished for was IDOLATRY, not for crazy LGBT sex.

Now what would be a harsh punishment for disobedience? Twist up someone's sexual preferences in the blink of an eye. Instead of wanting your wife, Bob across the street is looking mighty fine in those gym shorts. Instead of your husband, Sally next door gets your motor running. And you know something's wrong but you can't do a thing to stop it. Or if you're already gay, your boyfriend is now repulsive and that girl trips your trigger. Or maybe it's the dog- who knows?

The point is, Romans 1 is a poor example for the argument against homosexuality. It is, however, a good argument against idolatry from the Christian point of view.

Spartan

If one reads these verses from Romans 1 in context with the previous verses, it become clear that the citizens of this apocryphal town were not necessarily sodomites or engaged in weird sex- whatever they were doing in that respect was obviously just fine by God. What they were punished for was IDOLATRY, not for crazy LGBT sex.

Now what would be a harsh punishment for disobedience? Twist up someone's sexual preferences in the blink of an eye. Instead of wanting your wife, Bob across the street is looking mighty fine in those gym shorts. Instead of your husband, Sally next door gets your motor running. And you know something's wrong but you can't do a thing to stop it. Or if you're already gay, your boyfriend is now repulsive and that girl trips your trigger. Or maybe it's the dog- who knows?

The point is, Romans 1 is a poor example for the argument against homosexuality. It is, however, a good argument against idolatry from the Christian point of view.

If there's any idolatry going on it's homosexuals reveling in their sin.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If one believes that gay sex is a sin, then maybe they should themselves not engage in gay sex.

Problem solved.

JJ50

Not from God's perspective. As the Bible states, he will hold them accountable.

There is nothing wrong with being gay, for all you know god could be gay, if it exists.

You seem to have a fixation about gays, I therefore wonder about your sexuality.

Spartan

There is nothing wrong with being gay, for all you know god could be gay, if it exists.

You seem to have a fixation about gays, I therefore wonder about your sexuality.

Not a fixation - this thread is about homosexuality. You're the one fixated on it. As for me, I'm straight.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope. It's their problem (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Revelation 21:8).

Yes, a book of myths written by primitive people that tended to be homophobic has homophobic verses in it. How do you know that is what God thinks? Relying on the evil verses in a book only means that a person that does so is evil. It is pretty weak sauce to blame one's God for one's hatred.

JJ50

Yes, a book of myths written by primitive people that tended to be homophobic has homophobic verses in it. How do you know that is what God thinks? Relying on the evil verses in a book only means that a person that does so is evil. It is pretty weak sauce to blame one's God for one's hatred.
I agree.

Spartan

Yeah, like I said, it's their problem, not yours.
So don't worry about, and just let people live their lives.
Easy peasy.

It's my problem too if I don't warn them. From Ezekiel 33

"When I say to the wicked, “You wicked, you must die,” and you do not speak up to warn the wicked about their ways, they shall die in their sins, but I will hold you responsible for their blood. If, however, you warn the wicked to turn from their ways, but they do not, then they shall die in their sins, but you shall save your life."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not from God's perspective. As the Bible states, he will hold them accountable.
So, you actually think you can speak for God?

Secondly, humans wrote the Bible, which also reflects the culture at that time and place, and the question of "divine inspiration" is just that-- a question. The Church long has debated to which extent is the Bible Divinely inspired and how did whatever the answer is get played out in terms of what we read? There's no way to answer that question since we don't have the "mind" of God.

Thirdly, homosexuality is more genetically linked than environmental, according to the research, therefore if one believes God ultimately made us all, then your gripe is with God on this question.

And finally, if you actually believed in what the Bible teaches, then you wouldn't be so enamored with the likes of Trump with his secular materialism & hedonism. You condemn homosexual acts but refuse to condemn what Trump continually says and does that's in defiance of what Jesus' taught. As Jesus is quoted in scripture saying, "one cannot serve two masters...", thus it is clearly impossible to believe in both Jesus and Trump. Maybe spend some time rereading the Sermon On the Mount and then contemplate what Jesus was saying and then what Trump has been saying and doing.

Spartan

So, you actually think you can speak for God?

The Bible speaks for God in many places, about morality, etc. I just pass it along when applicable.

Secondly, humans wrote the Bible, which also reflects the culture at that time and place, and the question of "divine inspiration" is just that-- a question. The Church long has debated to which extent is the Bible Divinely inspired and how did whatever the answer is get played out in terms of what we read? There's no way to answer that question since we don't have the "mind" of God.

Well, when people are born-again and diligently pursue God's Word, they are enlightened about that by God the Holy Spirit. People who say they aren't don't know what they're talking about.

Thirdly, homosexuality is more genetically linked than environmental, according to the research, therefore if one believes God ultimately made us all, then your gripe is with God on this question.

I don't have a gripe about whether gay sex is a sin. It is. Numerous scriptures support that.

And finally, if you actually believed in what the Bible teaches, then you wouldn't be so enamored with the likes of Trump with his secular materialism & hedonism. You condemn homosexual acts but refuse to condemn what Trump continually says and does that's in defiance of what Jesus' taught. As Jesus is quoted in scripture saying, "one cannot serve two masters...", thus it is clearly impossible to believe in both Jesus and Trump. Maybe spend some time rereading the Sermon On the Mount and then contemplate what Jesus was saying and then what Trump has been saying and doing.

Here we go - Trump Derangement Syndrome. For the record, Trump is in office not because he doesn't have warts that many Christians and conservatives have noted and discussed, but because even with all his baggage he was STILL a much better choice for president than that lying, greedy, corrupt, immoral, left-wing, incompetent, cellulite-infested, Benghazi-Patriot-blood-on-her-hands, walking gas bag Hillary Clinton, and her inevitable cadre of loony-tune idiots.

People ask how evangelicals can call themselves Christians and vote for Trump? However, the real question is how can we call ourselves Christians and vote for Hillary?

Last edited: