• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Evolution

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I believe that God wishes us to evolve and grow. Not only physically but spiritually. It's possible that if we were left to this process, we'd eventually become able to grow into a number of new species (think about how humans came from monkeys to hairy men to basically Japanese bishonen). Energy beings? That's probably the goal, if transhumanism doesn't try to trap us all in soulless robot bodies like this.

But I'm getting off point. The point is, when we look at the Bible, we're looking at the story of a backwards, somewhat violent tribe that's declared the chosen people. Today, I saw this picture (from the webcomic Tower of God).

3.jpg

"A world where only chosen people can play." This is the mentality of elites everywhere. But it's a starting place. Throughout the Old Testament , God mirrors his people. In the early portions like Genesis, those God favors tend to lie and cheat, and sometimes murder ppl. In Exodus, God is seen throwing several temper tantrums. By the middle of the Bible, God is proving he is not just a war deity but keeps Israel fertile. And he is becoming distinct from other deities nearby that demand blood sacrifices. By the New Testament, this is a God who helps slaves be free, and who now says there's no distinction between slave and free, male and female, etc. But here's the problem. Remember that sense that the Jews were specially chosen? Well there's this rabbi, and he wants to spread God's love to Samaritans, to Greeks, to Romans. No more chosen people, this is a game to be played by all. "Crucify him!" they shout.

And yet, God calls us to evolve and grow. We might balk at some point and decide "sorry, I can't do that" but the point is not to blame the Jews for their failure to acdept Jesus, but to see this as a long path of ascension, that some of us stop at various points along the way.

So this idea that Christians ought to be opposed to evolution is stupid. We ought to be opposed to Darwin's idea of survival of the fittest, and very much in favor of a God that promotes human advancement and evolution.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I believe that God wishes us to evolve and grow. Not only physically but spiritually. It's possible that if we were left to this process, we'd eventually become able to grow into a number of new species (think about how humans came from monkeys to hairy men to basically Japanese bishonen). Energy beings? That's probably the goal, if transhumanism doesn't try to trap us all in soulless robot bodies like this.

But I'm getting off point. The point is, when we look at the Bible, we're looking at the story of a backwards, somewhat violent tribe that's declared the chosen people. Today, I saw this picture (from the webcomic Tower of God).

3.jpg

"A world where only chosen people can play." This is the mentality of elites everywhere. But it's a starting place. Throughout the Old Testament , God mirrors his people. In the early portions like Genesis, those God favors tend to lie and cheat, and sometimes murder ppl. In Exodus, God is seen throwing several temper tantrums. By the middle of the Bible, God is proving he is not just a war deity but keeps Israel fertile. And he is becoming distinct from other deities nearby that demand blood sacrifices. By the New Testament, this is a God who helps slaves be free, and who now says there's no distinction between slave and free, male and female, etc. But here's the problem. Remember that sense that the Jews were specially chosen? Well there's this rabbi, and he wants to spread God's love to Samaritans, to Greeks, to Romans. No more chosen people, this is a game to be played by all. "Crucify him!" they shout.

And yet, God calls us to evolve and grow. We might balk at some point and decide "sorry, I can't do that" but the point is not to blame the Jews for their failure to acdept Jesus, but to see this as a long path of ascension, that some of us stop at various points along the way.

So this idea that Christians ought to be opposed to evolution is stupid. We ought to be opposed to Darwin's idea of survival of the fittest, and very much in favor of a God that promotes human advancement and evolution.

Interesting overview. I've recently been rereading the old testament, but as a much older person than before. Those are not temper tantrums in Exodus, but a keen desire for love and trust to prevail over serious evils. The reason those moments in Exodus of idol worship or lack of faith matter so much that they require sharp responses is because idol worship soon means sacrificing children for instance, and the lack of faith at that moment in spite of the miracles showed total rejection of the humble wonderful harmony/love that is trusting. A disinterested or uncaring God would not work so hard to push us to the good. The only qualities that make heaven possible are faith, trust, love. They are having the good. The reason we are here in this life is to make that choice. Abraham's people were the ones first chosen for that ability (of some) to have faith Abram had showed. Those with that urge to the good, faith, are His.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe that God wishes us to evolve and grow. Not only physically but spiritually. It's possible that if we were left to this process, we'd eventually become able to grow into a number of new species

Theosophists have a concept of 'root races' which has an evolutionary component.

The Bible in Revelation and Isaiah speak of a new beginning, a new world.

Meher Baba's "New Humanity" discourse speaks to this: Through divine love the New Humanity will learn the art of co-operative and harmonious life; it will free itself from the tyranny of dead forms and release the creative life of spiritual wisdom; it will shed all illusions and get established in the Truth; it will enjoy peace and abiding happiness; it will be initiated in the life of Eternity.

King Phenomenon

3.jpg

Evolution is cool but I don't think we came from monkeys and I don't think we're gonna evolve into a different form of being. To evolve in the sense of character is cool