1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured God and Evolution

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Vaziri, Jul 9, 2019.

1. leov

leov Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Religion:
    christian
    "I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

2. Vaziri

Vaziri Islamic Philosopher

Ratings:
    +37
    Religion:
    Islam
    Obviously I didn't mean we came from a species of monkey that is still on earth. It would have been an ancient ancestor that evolved..

3. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I never thought of the BB as a force fit but it definitely was a powerful force.
    When God sends forth His spirit things (like BB) are created - Psalms 104:30
    Thus, God spirit is an impersonal force like a power plant's power grid emits a force an energy to accomplish something.

4. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...

Ratings:
    +3,339
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    I see this far too often, and it always, always involves the person who thinks so leaving out something rather important about evolution --- time, and lots and lots and lots of generations! If you had physically lived for a million years or so, you yourself could have seen evolution happen in nature.

And the fact is, that for very short lived species, we are observing evolution happening now, before our very eyes. As we used antibiotics and other medicines to cure a variety of diseases, those diseases have developed resistance to those antibiotics. So now, for example, because we used methicillin, we have MRSA, something that did not exist before we discovered methicillin.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vaziri

Ratings:
    +37
    Religion:
    Islam
    I've never taken that poll. No one from a poll has ever asked what I believe.. lol

6. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Religion:
    atheist
    Avoiding my comment is not deflection?

Nevertheless...

The beauty of science is that it is self-correcting. At one time the general consensus was that the universe was static. Then, as our tools got better, some proposed that the universe was expanding. There were long debates about it. There was extensive research. You know the results.

The beauty of science, unlike religion, is that it is not afraid to be self-correcting. Scientific research now is pretty much in agreement that Exodus never happened. Religion refuses to accept that.

#106 ecco, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Religion:
    Christian
    Wow, what a nasty post. What are we who come from the lowest rungs of society ?

Low IQ, I think not.

Street people, I think not.

Who has given you the arrogant authority to define who the ¨lowest rungs of society¨ are ?

• Like Like x 2
  8. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Religion:
    Christian
    Monkeys are still here, why not that ancient ancestor ?

9. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...

Ratings:
    +3,339
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    No I don't, actually, because as far as I know, there is no God. So you just made up something about me and posted it which is not true. That's not nice.

10. Wasp

Wasp Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I don't believe in the bible. Neanderthals were equally intelligent with homo sapiens. In which case they will be judged too, no? So they'd be people. Was Adam a neanderthal?

11. Wasp

Wasp Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Monkeys came after..

12. Vaziri

Ratings:
    +37
    Religion:
    Islam
    Because they evolved into humans...

13. Wasp

Wasp Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    It's true to me.

14. Wasp

Wasp Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    The Qur'an said the universe is expanding 1400 years ago.

15. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,028
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Species evolve over time. Even "living fossils" are usually different from their ancestors and could almost certainly not breed with them. The creationist favorite example is that of the Coelacanth, but that is not even a species, or genus, or even a family. Coelacanth is an entire order of fish. The coelacanth found today, though related, is definitely different from the various species that existed when it lived in shallow seas:

Coelacanth - Wikipedia

The monkeys that we evolved from (and the ancestor that we did share with monkeys would almost certainly be classified as a "monkey" today) underwent countless speciation events.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,610
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    That is how evolution works.

Neanderthals are only a part of the continuous spectrum of evolution that makes us human. By the evidence baboons and humans have common ancestors demonstrated in the fossil record,

Intermediaries do exist, and the fossil evidence and the intermediate species are increasing number every years. In 1960 all the fossils of our ancestors would fit in a card board box, and now the fill several museums.

True, they represent a diversity of species and sub-species that can be demonstrated as evolving from common ancestors.

I am not sure what your asking our ancestors are in the fossil record, though genetics indicate that our near relative ancestors evolved through sub-species that could interbred.

17. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,610
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    A number of Creation stories describe similar origins. The Hindu creation stories describe a multiverse synario with a cyclic universe beginning, expanding and dieing to be reborn. The description in Genesis as beginning 'let there be light' could be easily interpreted as a Big Bang synario.

18. siti

siti Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I believe evolution is the best explanation we have for the existence of humans - and God.

19. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,610
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Of course, it is not a species of monkey(?) but a common ancestor.

20. Vaziri

Ratings:
    +37
    Religion:
    Islam
    I like that. Very cool!