• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"God (Allah) does not exist" vs. "God" ("Allah") is meaningless.

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
I can't conjure up any concept of anything labeled "God" (or "Allah"). But most atheists say "I don't believe in God". What are they saying they don't believe in? I certainly don't know. I also don't know of any god that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in.

I look up "atheist" in the dictionary and find this:

a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/

noun
noun: atheist; plural noun: atheists
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"
Atheists say "I don't believe in any gods". Then I ask, Who does? And if they answer "Christians, Jews and Muslims do" I ask "Why do you claim that they do? Is it because they say they do? What god do you think they believe in? If they say "The Judeo-Christian god", I ask, "What god is that? Can you describe it?" They never can. Can you?

So I can't consider myself "an atheist", because I don't believe that Christians, Jews or Muslims believe in any god at all. They just think they do. I also don't believe that atheists know of any god to not believe in. They just think they do.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't need to lack belief in any particular deity to lack beliefs in deities. i don't have to actively disbelieve to lack belief.

On the other hand, I agree that most claims about deities are too loosely defined to be meaningful.

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
Polymath257<<I don't need to lack belief in any particular deity to lack beliefs in deities.

Do you believe that Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in a deity? If so what deity do you believe that they believe in? Can you describe it?

Polymath257<<i don't have to actively disbelieve to lack belief.

Can you describe any deity that you lack belief in?

Polymath257<<On the other hand, I agree that most claims about deities are too loosely defined to be meaningful.

What claim about what deity are you talking about?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"I don't believe in God": An atheist would say that only in reply to a theist who says "I believe in existence of God / Allah."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I can't conjure up any concept of anything labeled "God" (or "Allah"). But most atheists say "I don't believe in God". What are they saying they don't believe in? I certainly don't know. I also don't know of any god that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in.

What I'm saying is I don't believe that man, in general, has any knowledge about a factual God. IOW, any claims made about a God are not based on fact.

They are based on feelings, conjecture and imagination. So for me there is nothing there that is reliable enough to invest any belief in.

There may or may not be a God, I don't think any reliable knowledge exits to make a claim either way. I don't think anyone has the knowledge to make claims about a God which includes myself. So I don't make any claims about God and I don't believe any claims about God made by others.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/

noun
Atheists say "I don't believe in any gods". Then I ask, Who does? And if they answer "Christians, Jews and Muslims do" I ask "Why do you claim that they do? Is it because they say they do? What god do you think they believe in? If they say "The Judeo-Christian god", I ask, "What god is that? Can you describe it?" They never can. Can you?

So I can't consider myself "an atheist", because I don't believe that Christians, Jews or Muslims believe in any god at all. They just think they do. I also don't believe that atheists know of any god to not believe in. They just think they do.
Well, you could always ask a Christian, Jew or Muslim what God they believe in, or how they would describe or characterize that God. We atheists have, and have found every answer we've heard to be wanting, and therefore we reject them.

There is, it would seem, some universal feeling in humans that there is some sort of "limit" to everything -- to everything the exists, let's call it "the All" (with the usual capital for the reason of form). I think that theists and atheists think about the All in different ways. Theists tend to think of it in terms of transendance (beyond us and what we can perceive), spiritual ("made up of" something that is immaterial) and personal (possesses the characteristic of having intention).

Atheists in general don't deny the All (or we may call it the Absolute, if you like). What we deny is its transendance, spirituality and personality. The Absolute is not God, but to be not-God does not mean to not be!

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Atheists in general don't deny the All (or we may call it the Absolute), if you like). What we deny is its transendance, spirituality and personality. The Absolute is not God, but to be not-God does not mean to not be!
That probably needs a little clarification, as I doubt everybody will get it.

When I say we deny transcendance, what I mean is that we believe that we are part of the All, and the All is part of us. We are the same substance, although each of us exists in our own subset of the All -- though still connected by our kinship to the rest. To deny the "spirituality" of the All is to say nothing more than that there is no "separate stuff" that is not part of the All. And to deny the "personality" of the All is not to deny personality per se, but to insist that personality is merely a feature of some parts of the All, where the all permits it to emerge -- as, for example, in a brain. The All functions without guidance, with personality, but parts of the All can intentionally move the All.

Last edited:

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
Atheists say they don't believe in any gods. I ask them "Were Zeus and Thor nonexistent gods that you don't believe in?" They say "yes". Then I say "What about the people who worshiped the sun? What about those who worshiped the earth?". They thought the sun had to be intelligent to move across the sky every day, and to make our crops possible and give us light and heat. So they worshiped it. Others worshiped the earth. Some worshiped the moon.

If these atheists are going to label Zeus and Thor as "gods that don't exist", to be consistent they'd have to label the earth, sun and moon as gods that do exist, right? So they can't claim not to believe in any gods, right? If they drop that claim they can't be correctly labeled "atheists".

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
Evangelicalhumanist,<<>>That probably needs a little clarification, as I doubt everybody will get it.<<

When I say we deny transcendance, what I mean is that we believe that we are part of the All, and the All is part of us.<<

You've lost me already. Let's go back to "deny transcendence". I don't do anything that I know of called "deny transcendence". What the heck is transcendence anyway. OK I'll look it up in the online dictionary:

tran·scend·ence
/ˌtran(t)ˈsendəns/

noun
noun: transcendence; plural noun: transcendences; noun: transcendency
existence or experience beyond the normal or physical level

I can't get any sense out of that alleged definition of "transcendence". I say that because it's obvious to me that we could not have possibly learned to use the word "beyond" so that it could make any sense to say "beyond the normal or physical level". We could only have learned to use the preposition "beyond" from and only from hearing cases of usage by other people saying or writing "X is beyond Y" where X and Y were within the normal or physical level. So we can only interpret

"X is beyond Y"

as equivalent to

"X, which is within the normal or physical level, is beyond Y, which is also within the normal or physical level".

Therefore when they say

"beyond the physical level"

if one attempted to make any sense of that, you'd come up with:

"X, which is within the normal or physical level, is beyond the normal or physical level, which is also within the normal or physical level".

That's gobbledygook and contradictory. You can't use "beyond" in a way that it could not possibly have been learned to be used in. It may SEEM like you can, but if you'll put a little thought to it, you'll see that it can't make any sense. The lexicographers didn't pick up on that. But that alleged definition of "transcendence cannot make any sense.

So what do you think you're claiming to deny when you speak of "denying transcendence"? I can't see that you're denying anything at all.

Now when you say "part of the All, and the All is part of us", what the heck do you think that means? What do you think you mean by capitalized "All"? Back to the dictionary

all
/ôl/

predeterminer · determiner · pronoun
determiner: all; pronoun: all
  1. used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing.
  2. all (in games) used after a number to indicate an equal score.
    "after extra time it was still two all"
Evangelicalhumanist,<<>>We are the same substance, although each of us exists in our own subset of the All -- though still connected by our kinship to the rest. To deny the "spirituality" of the All is to say nothing more than that there is no "separate stuff" that is not part of the All. And to deny the "personality" of the All is not to deny personality per se, but to insist that personality is merely a feature of some parts of the All, where the all permits it to emerge -- as, for example, in a brain. The All functions without guidance, with personality, but parts of the All can intentionally move the All.<<<

My, oh, my! I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me. You may think you're speaking of something but I am unable to believe you are.

How can you say I "deny" what makes no sense to me? Tell me what you think I deny, and if you do, please speak so that I can understand, or else define your terms as you go. Thanks.

Igtheism

Rdwin McCravy
Aupmanyav<<I don't believe in God": An atheist would say that only in reply to a theist who says "I believe in existence of God / Allah."<<>>

That's shows the big complaint I have with atheists who talk like that to theists. Saying "I don't believe in God" makes the theist believe that the atheist is just like himself in one way -- that he shares the faith that the sound "God" really does refer to something. But also, it shows the theist that the atheist has the further faith that the sound "God" is like the word "unicorn", and refers to something which the atheist has a concept of, but which does not exist. That's why theists keep saying "Atheists choose to reject God". They say "Atheists by their own admission know who God is but reject his existence". That's why theists hate atheists.

But they can't hate me. That's because if a theist says to me "You choose to reject God", I say "'God'? But I don't know how to imagine anything that 'God' could refer to, so I can't possibly be choosing to reject anything if I don't know of anything that I could be choosing to be rejecting."

That's the way to talk to theists. Only use "God" to refer to the only thing it can refer to -- the letters "G"-"o"-"d" in a row or the pronunciation of those letters in a row.

[And for God's sake (lol), don't misspell "God" as "god" and go speaking it as though it referred to something nonexistent and think you're disrespecting something by decapitalizing a meaningless sound that theists babble and think they're talking about something. Disrespecting a meaningless sound by decapitalizing it? Can it become more meaningless if you do? What the heck!]

Last edited:

Kfox

I can't conjure up any concept of anything labeled "God" (or "Allah"). But most atheists say "I don't believe in God". What are they saying they don't believe in? I certainly don't know.
As an atheist, I don’t believe in whatever it is the theist calls God.
I also don't know of any god that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in.
You don’t know of it because it doesn’t exist. But the fact something doesn’t exist doesn’t prevent those who believe it does, from worshipping it.
Atheists say "I don't believe in any gods". Then I ask, Who does?
Theists
And if they answer "Christians, Jews and Muslims do" I ask "Why do you claim that they do? Is it because they say they do?
Yes.
What god do you think they believe in? If they say "The Judeo-Christian god", I ask, "What god is that? Can you describe it?" They never can. Can you?
Again; just because something doesn’t exist, does not prevent those who believe it does from worshipping it.

What about theists what worship things that DO exist? Rastafarians deify Hali Selassie; (previous president of Ethiopia) There is a sect in Hinduism what worships Kumari of Nepal (still alive today) There are people who worship the Sun, Nature, and various other things that are real. Christians, Muslims, and Jews aren’t the only ones that worship ya know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

a·the·ist
/ˈāTHēəst/

noun

I am quite happy so say "i do not believe in the existence if any gods" the reason being i have seen no evidence to the contrary though i have seen copious evidence to show claimed traits of various gods are impossible.
In the same way i do not believe in the existence of leprechauns, father Christmas or trains that run on time.

Religius people are usually (thorough not always) happy to say that they "believe their god(s) exist" for whatever reason they see fit.

And of course in either case, it's only thought, what else could it be?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atheists in general don't deny the All (or we may call it the Absolute, if you like). What we deny is its transendance, spirituality and personality. The Absolute is not God, but to be not-God does not mean to not be!
Yeah, that is the concept of Brahman in Advaita Hinduism, the All without any exception. But Brahman is not necessarily considered a God.
And our scriptures suggest that.
'Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma' (All things here are Brahman), 'Aham Brahmasmi' (I am Brahman), 'Tat twam asi' (That is what you are), etc.
If these atheists are going to label Zeus and Thor as "gods that don't exist", to be consistent they'd have to label the earth, sun and moon as gods that do exist, right? So they can't claim not to believe in any gods, right? If they drop that claim they can't be correctly labeled "atheists".
I have not heard of any atheist who would say that Earth, Sun or Moon are Gods.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
[And for God's sake (lol), don't misspell "God" as "god" and go speaking it as though it referred to something nonexistent and think you're disrespecting something by decapitalizing a meaningless sound that theists babble and think they're talking about something. Disrespecting a meaningless sound by decapitalizing it? Can it become more meaningless if you do? What the heck!]
Yeah, God does not exist for me. I do not believe in existence of any God or soul. What to respect or disrespect if I do not even accept the existence of God? Starting God, YHWH, Allah, Krishna, Shiva with capital letters is just a convention.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are those who believe that atheism excludes igtheism/ignosticism.

I don't see the conflict, myself. It is entirely reasonable to wonder what would be those gods people speak of while also realizing that there isn't nearly enough substance there to sustain any form of belief.

Frankly, I stand surprised that there are even believers (as opposed to people who whose their specific god-conceptions to illustrate their doctrines and values) among adherents of any religion, including Abrahamics. It is not helpful to believe. Not for religion proper.