• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goals and plans for religious communities?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m wondering now how common or uncommon it is for a religious community to have long-term goals and plans for its development, and for what its members do out in the world. For example, for many years some goals for Baha’i communities were to have more and more spiritual assemblies in every corner of the world and every corner of society; and periodic meetings for fellowship and for training children and adults. Now the goals and plans include working with neighbors to help build healthier, happier and more loving communities; participating in public discussions about social issues; and working with other people on social and economic development projects. The world council and national councils of the religion send out messages continually, promoting and discussing those goals and plans. There are newsletters with articles about what the members are doing for those goals and plans.

I’m curious to know how much that’s happening in other religions, specific, targeted goals and plans for community development and social action that are devised and continually promoted by the national and international leaders of the religion.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I don't think such goals are healthy.

I mean, Islam and Christianity both think the world would be better if everyone was like them. But that can't be true for both, now can it?

Unless you are absolutely sure your beliefs would help the world, why not let them have their own faith? Likewise, they should respect yours.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As far as i know the buddhist temples around the world are there to give everyone a choice to learn Buddhism, But a buddhist temple would not or should not try to force others to become like them. Anyone can go to a buddhist teaching lecture to listen

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I’m wondering now how common or uncommon it is for a religious community to have long-term goals and plans for its development, and for what its members do out in the world.
Long before different religions became institutionalized and hijacked by priests and politicians, they all were systems of guidance of life and and how to live concordingly to a community and to nature itself.

We al know now how the ancient and genuine meaning with religions and it´s mythological explanations have losts it´s orignal importance, but this is much again needed in order to re-create order of the standing chaos all over the World.

ALL RELIGIONS SHOULD BE BASED ON NATURE ITSELF AND ON HOW A COMMUNITY WORKS.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Personally, I think if your goal is to expand your religion, it should be done as a litmus test.

If you're converting people who don't want to convert (i.e. not people who ask about this, but those who have to be bullied or threatened), you should be viewed not as a religion but as a political organization, and not be allowed to hide behind the banner of religion for stuff like taxes.

Aside from that the litmus test should include things like whether the "religion" intrudes on personal privacy (does the group visit at 3 am, asking about whether your daughter has been out doing "sinful" things like not covering up), whether they allow people to leave (hallmark of an average cult), and whether the way they treat men and women is grossly different (in the 20th-21st century, religions shouldn't still be making different standards like this).

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m wondering now how common or uncommon it is for a religious community to have long-term goals and plans for its development, and for what its members do out in the world. For example, for many years some goals for Baha’i communities were to have more and more spiritual assemblies in every corner of the world and every corner of society; and periodic meetings for fellowship and for training children and adults. Now the goals and plans include working with neighbors to help build healthier, happier and more loving communities; participating in public discussions about social issues; and working with other people on social and economic development projects. The world council and national councils of the religion send out messages continually, promoting and discussing those goals and plans. There are newsletters with articles about what the members are doing for those goals and plans.

I’m curious to know how much that’s happening in other religions, specific, targeted goals and plans for community development and social action that are devised and continually promoted by the national and international leaders of the religion.
This is a good source.
Hinduism Today Magazine

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Religion, beliefs, are personal. Welfare of the society is another thing. As Samantha Rinne said mixing the two is politics and colonialism. This is dishonesty. It is not selfless work. If one wants to work for the welfare of the society, then do it without claiming it for any religion.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Religion, beliefs, are personal. Welfare of the society is another thing.
Nothing is personal when it comes to the matters. Everything what an individual does, concerns and have effects on the society - and vise versa.

Reactions: Jim

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

It's very strong in Catholicism as community is considered to be very important, which includes those with a different faith or no religious faith.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nothing is personal when it comes to the matters. Everything what an individual does, concerns and have effects on the society - and vise versa.
Not necessarily. In Hinduism, beliefs and society are kept separate. It is like church and government in west. I may have any kind of belief (polytheism, monotheism, atheism - I am a strong atheist), but my 'dharma' (duties) to the society and family are the same as that of anyone else.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I may have any kind of belief (polytheism, monotheism, atheism - I am a strong atheist), but my 'dharma' (duties) to the society and family are the same as those of anyone else.
If there was a better rating than “winner,” I would give it to this post.

syo

In my mind all christians live as Jesus commanded. but that's just my imagination. :(

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I am not Christian anymore but I think Christians are strongly recommended to do charity works as an expression of their faith, see Matthew 25:31-46.

On a personal level, I must say that I am very thankful for the Salvation Army providing a facility where I could get cheap furniture and furnishings for the first apartment I had.