• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goal change

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So the higher ups at the group home will be changing my goals soon. One of my goals will hopefully be to move out the group home. I can't think of what other goals to include. I'll be moving to a place where I'll be having someone check on me to make sure I'm caring for myself and my goal is to eventually move out to living on my own or miving in with my twin sister. Anyone got any ideas for goals that'll help with independent living? Im thinking maybe a goal for cleaning cuz when living on your own the house got to be kept clean. We already did and completed a goal for laundry. And we had a food goal but after work im too exhausted to help cook so we going to scrap that one. I could probably provide easier meals to make when living on my own. And we did a budgetting goal.

Edit: maybe yall could write some things I'd need to know if i live on my own? Maybe I can think of something.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Something I found useful was setting alarms on my phone for chores, eating, and even brushing my teeth. Having a consistent sleep/wake up time is useful as well.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Plan your meals for a week

Do the weekly, or big shop to include the ingredients for each meal.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Living on your own comes with a lot of responsibility. What is your game plan in the event that someone decides to break into your home?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The food goal there's work arounds but it would be difficult at the group home (like making regular sized meals and freezing them in portions).
I can't really think of any goals you haven't mentioned, but rather things to have covered, like transportation, acquiring a bed and furniture, and hitting up a Dollar Tree for kitchen utensils and cleaning supplies to get you started.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Doing whatever I can to survive and calling the cops...
About cops....they often have problems with
people who aren't neurotypical. If you think
anything you're prone to doing might spook'm,
consider an explanatory card to hand them.
It might prevent an ignorant violent response.

VoidCat

About cops....they often have problems with
people who aren't neurotypical. If you think
anything you're prone to doing might spook'm,
consider an explanatory card to hand them.
It might prevent an ignorant violent response.
I got one of them cards

ChristineM

Premium Member
Utensils as @Shadow Wolf mentioned start building your collection right away. Knives, forks, spoons, spatulas, a couple of pans, washing/cleaning up cloths etc. Store them in the bottom draw until you move out.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I should get one.....

I'm old. I'm cranky. I have poor balance.
My joints don't bend the way they used to.
And I'm a jerk. It's a medical condition.

Well ..... write one up. Either that or we could have a contest here on RF to write one for you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The food goal there's work arounds but it would be difficult at the group home (like making regular sized meals and freezing them in portions).
I can't really think of any goals you haven't mentioned, but rather things to have covered, like transportation, acquiring a bed and furniture, and hitting up a Dollar Tree for kitchen utensils and cleaning supplies to get you started.
Better than a dollar store is a thrift store.
Get as much as you can use there.
Then, whatever you couldn't find at the
thrift store, you can get at a dollar store.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So the higher ups at the group home will be changing my goals soon. One of my goals will hopefully be to move out the group home. I can't think of what other goals to include. I'll be moving to a place where I'll be having someone check on me to make sure I'm caring for myself and my goal is to eventually move out to living on my own or miving in with my twin sister. Anyone got any ideas for goals that'll help with independent living? Im thinking maybe a goal for cleaning cuz when living on your own the house got to be kept clean. We already did and completed a goal for laundry. And we had a food goal but after work im too exhausted to help cook so we going to scrap that one. I could probably provide easier meals to make when living on my own. And we did a budgetting goal.

Edit: maybe yall could write some things I'd need to know if i live on my own? Maybe I can think of something.
I assume you know all about banking. If not, make sure you learn the ins and outs. As for food, buy those reusable containers and cook once or twice a week to make meals. Then it's microwave time. That actually saves a ton of time. As others have said, make yourself a schedule. Make a list for shopping, and overbuy everything (frozen, canned, and dry) except fresh perishable stuff. Then you'll always have something to eat. Best wishes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Here's a list from the internet https://www.storespace.com/blog/tips-living-alone-first-time/ I added some in parentheses.
  1. Make a Budget
  2. (Pay bills promptly)
  3. (Save cash)
  4. (Buy a can opener)
  5. Get a Spare (key)
  6. Decorate Your New Home
  7. Keep Things Tidy
  8. Become Self-Reliant
  9. Don’t Isolate Yourself
  10. Meet Your Neighbors
  11. Explore Your Neighborhood
  12. Purchase Essentials in Bulk
  13. Master Shopping for One
  14. Take Up a New Hobby
  15. Keep a Notepad of Emergency Numbers
  16. Make New Friends
  17. Invite People In
  18. Enjoy Solitude

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Better than a dollar store is a thrift store.
Get as much as you can use there.
Then, whatever you couldn't find at the
thrift store, you can get at a dollar store.
I mentioned Dollar Tree specifically because it carries a decent assortment of utensils for cheap. They also have cheap cleaning supplies.
Starting out you basically can't get cheaper than those, and places like Goodwill for pots and pans and kitchen appliances (just remembered that one).

VoidCat

Thats just normal everyday trepidation. Most people of us feel the same when a big change is on the horizon.
It's not just that. I was declared incompetent to live on my own. I had to choose between guardianship being placed over me or a group home. If i mess this up too badly I could end up getting guardianship placed over me and i dont want that.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's not just that. I was declared incompetent to live on my own. I had to choose between guardianship being placed over me or a group home. If i mess this up too badly I could end up getting guardianship placed over me and i dont want that.

There are always spanners in the works, you just have to work around them.

I think you feel confident you can do it and shoulder the responsibility. Your medical supervision people must also feel the same way otherwise it wouldn't have been put on the table as an option.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If cleaning is a big concern, ask to see the check lists from the group home itself. Staff likely have stuff they need to check off periodically in the way of cleaning. If there is an overnight staff, that is probably where the bulk of the cleaning lies, and I'd ask to see that list.

Either way, you may be able to adjust that for your needs.

There's also a cleaning program called Flylady that might help. Its meant for hoarders/very messy people trying to get back into the game, but there are enough lists on that website that you should be able to adapt something for your needs. It covers other topics of self care, too, so it might be worth checking out.

Though overall, I'd encourage you to keep it simple. Buy less stuff. Don't buy 8 plates when 2 will do. Stuff is hard to keep clean. So have less stuff.

Find a few simple recipes you enjoy, and try to keep the ingredients on hand.

Find a way to track your appointments. An old fashioned way is a wall calendar. I'm sure there are many digital ones as well.