• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go to Jail or go to Church?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
No issues persay, if they allow for the convicted's faith and it's requirements. If its just christian then it stinks of an agenda stinking of dominionism.

I agree. And for the non-religious, something would be needed as well. But I think if this idea would be played around with a bit, it could have some good benefits.

darkstar

I agree. And for the non-religious, something would be needed as well. But I think if this idea would be played around with a bit, it could have some good benefits.

If it were modified it may have potential. But as it is now it is coercion. What do you think they would say if they were given the choice between jail or attending a pagan gathering every week?

It's been a while since I've lived in Alabama, but I don't remember an abundance of anything but Christian churches in any of the areas I went to there.

And considering the fact that there is a separation of CHURCH and STATE, the word church should never be part of ANY solution enforced by the state. Even if there's a choice.

I'm not saying that there aren't better sentences to non violent crime than jail. I'm a big fan of community service and atonement. But this is just a little over the line and needs to changed. If a crime is not bad enough to require jail as the only option, then figure out a suitable punishment, but leave anything REQUIRING religion out of it.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
That's it, I must form a Church of Satan in southern Alabama. Church or jail? Sure, I'll be attending services at the local grotto. :p

shellz641

I think this is a good idea as long as they are taught all 7 major religions and are non-denominational. This is what the church used to do when prizon was first initiated. That way the criminal was re-habilitated before re-entering society.

The trouble with prizon as it stands now is that the criminal is learning nothing! The prizons are not properly regulated and therefore a multitude of crime goes on inside which completely defeats the objective.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe I would choose jail. The last time I went to church it took me almost thirteen years to escape.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I'd been sentenced for doing wrong, I'd pick church.
I'd deserve that horrible punishment.

Could I start speaking in tongues any time during the service?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Serve Time In Jail...Or In Church? | WKRG

What do you think?

I don't know if they allow synagogues, mosques, etc. as alternatives to jail or if such facilities exist to any degree in Baldwin County, Alabama. If you are irreligious than I guess you are screwed unless they allow attendance at a secular humanist meeting or allow what courts have stated in order to meet constitutional muster on court mandated alcohol treatment. Which is to allow individuals to establish their own programs.

And what crimes will they allow for this to be treated in such a manner? Petty theft? If someone commits a crime that would mean no more than a week in jail and a small fine it would be better to fine them and put them on house arrest.

And the painfully obvious. How many people arrested in this nation, especially south Alabama, do not already assert a form of religious belief?
Well if goind to Church isn't a punishment I don't know what is.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I can't work that out, how does going to church make one a better person, like churches are not full of good people, in fact most of them call themselves sinners lol.

Abishai100

Intellectual Violations: Housing

I think an insightful novel that addresses this issue with human perspective is "Crime and Punishment" (Dostoevsky) in which a poor man contemplates his freedom from civil obligations given his lack of resources.

Crime and punishment are important issues in the modern world where law can be very difficult to discuss (i.e., Wall Street).

There are all kinds of religions now, so do we trust religious institutions to reliably (and economically) replace civil institutions such as prisons (for rehabilitation, repentance, etc.)?

Intellectual property laws (and violations) introduce a host of other issues such as patent enforceability, in which case crime and punishment must be assessed in terms of recompensation interests. If the people demand punishment, private religious repentance/contemplation may not be enough (i.e., "everyone loves a good hanging!").

If there is enough dialogue about this issue, at least the right topics will be raised in the public forum (i.e., "Would atheists object to tax-money going to religious organizations?").

I myself am comforted by the notion that a dangerously maniacal convicted arsonist is definitely going to a secured incarceration center.

U.S. Patent Law

GL087.jpg