• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go Ask Alice ??????

Riders

So I read it several times as a young adult and loved it, But its not a diary, the Author was a teen therapist,I imagine she knew quite a bit about teen girls.

However many have critiqued it as anti drug piece of crap, only written to scare off people from taking drugs.

Well first place I went to amazon and tried to find out what other readers say about it, and I got many descriptions from folks who read it like last year. They were a few giving bad ratings but most were between 3 and 4 stars which tells many folks don't agree with critics.

My problem with the whole anti drug propaganda critique is that there were quite a few anti drug propaganda movies and books in the 60's and early 70's and I just don't see this as being one. The anti drug issue is there in it along with Alice' deep rooted codependency on men because of her low self esteem rapped up in the fact that she did not have a boy friend AND

her huge eating disorder and guess what? She had 2 addictions anorexia and drug addiction and hey she took pills and drugs in part to lose weight and she went down from a healthy 120 to 100! So the thing is I don't believe the topic of this book is drug addiction alone, its codependency eating disorders and drug addiction!

What I don't get is how the author had so much info on eating disorders though she did not name it eating disorder but still described it perfectly. It was written in 1971! The show about Karen Carpenter says Psychiatrists did not know about Anorexia till the mid 79s which is why she did not get help till 78.

Anyways my 2 cents are when someone critcizes this book for being fictional, I think it's not fictional but written maybe from a viewpoint f a therapist dealing with many teen girls, and that its all about anti drug propaganda?

There is a lot of talk about weight issues self esteem and codependency that is not drug addiction talk.That's probably i like it still at the age of 52!even at this age I relate ! Self esteem issues over not having a husband boyfriend, codependent and issues with food yea! I relate to it alot and I have never had a drug problem LOL!!!!!!!!!

Riders

The movie left out a lot the book had in it. But the interesting thing about the movie as it had a very very young Mckenzie Phillips when she first started out in it 1972, and also I think Father was Captain Kirk from Star Trek!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I got the Disney version in animation as a little boy
totally naïve of any drug innuendo

later in life I realized

I now see it as a means of instructing children
give them fair warning at a time in their lives when the warning
doesn't look like one

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So I read it several times as a young adult and loved it, But its not a diary, the Author was a teen therapist,I imagine she knew quite a bit about teen girls.

However many have critiqued it as anti drug piece of crap, only written to scare off people from taking drugs.

Well first place I went to amazon and tried to find out what other readers say about it, and I got many descriptions from folks who read it like last year. They were a few giving bad ratings but most were between 3 and 4 stars which tells many folks don't agree with critics.

My problem with the whole anti drug propaganda critique is that there were quite a few anti drug propaganda movies and books in the 60's and early 70's and I just don't see this as being one. The anti drug issue is there in it along with Alice' deep rooted codependency on men because of her low self esteem rapped up in the fact that she did not have a boy friend AND

her huge eating disorder and guess what? She had 2 addictions anorexia and drug addiction and hey she took pills and drugs in part to lose weight and she went down from a healthy 120 to 100! So the thing is I don't believe the topic of this book is drug addiction alone, its codependency eating disorders and drug addiction!

What I don't get is how the author had so much info on eating disorders though she did not name it eating disorder but still described it perfectly. It was written in 1971! The show about Karen Carpenter says Psychiatrists did not know about Anorexia till the mid 79s which is why she did not get help till 78.

Anyways my 2 cents are when someone critcizes this book for being fictional, I think it's not fictional but written maybe from a viewpoint f a therapist dealing with many teen girls, and that its all about anti drug propaganda?

There is a lot of talk about weight issues self esteem and codependency that is not drug addiction talk.That's probably i like it still at the age of 52!even at this age I relate ! Self esteem issues over not having a husband boyfriend, codependent and issues with food yea! I relate to it alot and I have never had a drug problem LOL!!!!!!!!!

I remember watching that movie as a kid. The anti-drug propaganda was pretty strong back in those days, even if it was only slightly more intelligent than Reefer Madness. While it was originally touted as a "real diary," it was later revealed to be a fraud: Go Ask Alice - Wikipedia

(It turned out that Alice didn't actually die. She ended up as a waitress at some greasy spoon diner where she had a nasty co-worker who said "kiss my grits" all the time.)

This kind of propaganda also increased curiosity among kids, who may have been tempted to at least try it, if only just once to see what it's like. Once people tried it, they would recognize just how blatantly and laughably untrue most of the anti-drug propaganda actually is.

It got even more ridiculous in the Reagan era when that president intensified and escalated the so-called "War on Drugs." That's when we started getting inundated with those extremely moronic "this is your brain on drugs" commercials.

The irony is that none of this propaganda, nor all the money wasted on drug enforcement and incarceration, ever really worked to reduce the problem. If anything, it got worse in the 1980s and 90s, as drug gangs became more powerful, wealthy, and brazen in their activities.

And it still continues to this day: Shootings in northern Mexico town kill 20, pile pressure on president

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Clashes sparked by suspected cartel gunmen in a northern Mexican town killed 20 people this weekend, authorities said, putting more pressure on Mexico’s president to curb gang violence after the United States vowed to label the gangs terrorists.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, mindful of efforts by U.S. President Donald Trump to designate Mexican drug gangs as terrorist groups, repeated on Sunday that he would not accept any intervention from abroad, while doubling down on his strategy of trying to contain the cartels.

But the killings clouded celebrations marking Lopez Obrador’s first year in office, which were buffeted by a march in Mexico City by thousands of people protesting the violence.

Riders

I remember watching that movie as a kid. The anti-drug propaganda was pretty strong back in those days, even if it was only slightly more intelligent than Reefer Madness. While it was originally touted as a "real diary," it was later revealed to be a fraud: Go Ask Alice - Wikipedia

(It turned out that Alice didn't actually die. She ended up as a waitress at some greasy spoon diner where she had a nasty co-worker who said "kiss my grits" all the time.)

This kind of propaganda also increased curiosity among kids, who may have been tempted to at least try it, if only just once to see what it's like. Once people tried it, they would recognize just how blatantly and laughably untrue most of the anti-drug propaganda actually is.

It got even more ridiculous in the Reagan era when that president intensified and escalated the so-called "War on Drugs." That's when we started getting inundated with those extremely moronic "this is your brain on drugs" commercials.

The irony is that none of this propaganda, nor all the money wasted on drug enforcement and incarceration, ever really worked to reduce the problem. If anything, it got worse in the 1980s and 90s, as drug gangs became more powerful, wealthy, and brazen in their activities.

And it still continues to this day: Shootings in northern Mexico town kill 20, pile pressure on president

Well sure, it was not a real diary I knew that. Yes it was use as anti drug propaganda but your not getting the message. I never read it so much for the antidrug propaganda, as I said there are a lot of women's issues in the book, the movie left out actually quite a bit that wasn't in the book.The movie did not accurately describe everything in the book.

But anyways lots of issues lots of problems she was dealing with outside of drugs in the book.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well sure, it was not a real diary I knew that. Yes it was use as anti drug propaganda but your not getting the message. I never read it so much for the antidrug propaganda, as I said there are a lot of women's issues in the book, the movie left out actually quite a bit that wasn't in the book.The movie did not accurately describe everything in the book.

But anyways lots of issues lots of problems she was dealing with outside of drugs in the book.

I didn't read the book, although I recall that it was originally touted as a "real diary" at first. Maybe it was a composite of multiple stories from the teenage girls she was counseling, although I thought it was cheesy and dishonest for the author to sell it as a "real diary" when it wasn't.

It's like when writers say "based on a true story" when it really wasn't.