• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnostics and the god inside

Jumi

Please define Gnostic for those that may not know.
I too am someone asking questions in this DIR. I have a rough understanding what it means, but would rather have the good folks here define it than an outsider like myself. Maybe someone will help us out here? :)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Gnosticism (from Ancient Greek: γνωστικός gnostikos, "having knowledge", from γνῶσις gnōsis, knowledge) is a modern term categorizing a collection of ancient religions whose adherents shunned the material world – which they viewed as created by an evil or clumsy entity they called the demiurge – and embraced the spiritual world.

Click link as there is more to know please.

"...[...]...Gnostics seek to find god inside of themselves...[...]..."
If there may be an answer to this question, one may find God inside all of his creation, inside and out, but if the actions are evil, then it is not of God. Basically there are 10 commandments given by grace and truth. Some will just naturally adhere to those. That is because the law is written on their hearts. Other than that one may look into the natural river flows and the springs. What are flowers? What are birds? Who are the animals? They are all God's creations. Does he love them? Yes. If they are destroyed or killed, is God happy with their killers? No and with that come judgments.

God loves but he also grieves for his Earth's creatures and all he made just to find it destroyed by way of tangents. God lets man have his will to do what he does but that does not necessarily mean he is happy about it. The will is if they bless they are blessed, but if they destroy they will be destroyed by those same acts. One change makes all the difference either side of it. Each choice counts as something either put in for God's Kingdom or as an inheritance against. There are those who serve money and that is their whole lot. When they die they will be taking none of it. But if that is their God then that is all that will be left.

The signature tells of it.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Is it right to say, that Gnostics seek to find god inside of themselves instead of looking for it in rituals and the natural world?

Mostly I agree.
I would define it as a Gnostic seeks to know God personally,
whereas its antithesis is the Sacramentarian, who sees God as a convenient narrative,
but does not actually truly believe that the Universe is intrinsically conscious.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Is it right to say, that Gnostics seek to find god inside of themselves instead of looking for it in rituals and the natural world?

I suspect different Gnostics will have different views on this. My view is that it is certainly important to realise that we are a part of The God/dess, but equally important to realise that so are all other things. But it does not stop there. Our fundamental mission is to liberate all spirits trapped within the energetic-material universe. And in that task we battle the Devil and their servants, who seek to keep the spirits trapped. Rituals have their place in helping us to remember The God/dess and our mission and protect against the risk of corruption by the Devil and their servants.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I would say one does not exclude the others.

Not been on this forum in quite some time hence my untimely response.

14revelation

Hello, i'm a new user and i'm trying to spread the word of gnostic revelation to anyone who is willing to listen.
I'd love it if you could give my youtube video a listen.
Wish You Well friends

SpiritQuest

The Immortal Man

I would say yes this is true. Knowledge from books and observations of the external world can be considered as collections of separate facts. Inner knowledge or gnosis can be understood as the undivided wholeness of Being. This is the universal oneness that many people try to describe in many religious texts, which is often described as a direct experience of the divine.

Tomas Kindahl

... out on my Odyssé — again!
Is it right to say, that Gnostics seek to find god inside of themselves

Yes.

instead of looking for it in rituals and the natural world?

No, not if you adhere to Mandeanism: they have rites in the natural world. The point is that the living part of the nature is like Pleroma. Life is good, the matter is evil. Life as a principle, originate in Pleroma. You may still love life and existence, while being aware that the universe is fundamentally flawed and decaying.