• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnostics and Knowing Thyself

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
the term gnostic is being used here in relationship to the first person experience to his/her, their reality vs believing in some other reality; which lacks experience.

is knowing thyself, knowing thy lord is omnipresent, the universe is omnipresent, and in opposition to "believing" god, that "believing" the universe, is something other than self, and "believing" god/universe isn't self as other either?

so then when will self "know" god, "know" the universe, if something is always otherwise? when will the consumation of the lamb, and the spirit be made? when will the two become ONE? when will the other and other as self be realized? matthew 19:5?

Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

gospel of thomas
(113) His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"
<Jesus said,> "It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying 'here it is' or 'there it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."

Last edited:

leov

the term gnostic is being used here in relationship to the first person experience to his/her, their reality vs believing in some other reality; which lacks experience.

is knowing thyself, knowing thy lord is omnipresent, the universe is omnipresent, and in opposition to "believing" god, that "believing" the universe, is something other than self, and "believing" god/universe isn't self as other either?

so then when will self "know" god, "know" the universe, if something is always otherwise? when will the consumation of the lamb, and the spirit be made? when will the two become ONE? when will the other and other as self be realized? matthew 19:5?

Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

gospel of thomas
(113) His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"
<Jesus said,> "It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying 'here it is' or 'there it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."

Knowing and believing is the same process, just different stages of it. The kingdom is near, within us, knowing yourself one can know the Kingdom.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Knowing and believing is the same process, just different stages of it. The kingdom is near, within us, knowing yourself one can know the Kingdom.
i'll agree that they are both part of a process but the believer will never know god until they come to be with god, impregnated by the Holy Spirit, or immersed in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

the believer is always searching for what they know not and the gnostic is always experiencing what they know.

1 John 3:1
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Matthew 11:27

"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
And the Cargo Cult patiently await the next incoming flight.

Jesus is always coming but he never lands the plane. maybe, just maybe, its something about self that he never comes, keeps passing us by.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but you know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

i waited and waited but i wouldn't wait no longer, insight. in a vision, in the clouds of heaven, self found the power to love and not in another. houston, uh, tranquility base here, the eagle has landed.

leov

i'll agree that they are both part of a process but the believer will never know god until they come to be with god, impregnated by the Holy Spirit, or immersed in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

the believer is always searching for what they know not and the gnostic is always experiencing what they know.

1 John 3:1
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

Matthew 11:27

"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
Paul mentioned evolution of faith into Gnosis, he said it has three stages he called faith, hope agape:
12"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love"1 Cor 13
He calls the process "training of senses":
"But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil." Heb. 5

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Jesus is always coming but he never lands the plane

“Proleptically present in the eschatological future”.
According to the Vatican.

There is a frog which is trying to reach the pond.
He always jumps half the remaining distance.

He jumps eternally, getting ever closer....

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Paul mentioned evolution of faith into Gnosis, he said it has three stages he called faith, hope agape:
12"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love"1 Cor 13
He calls the process "training of senses":
"But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil." Heb. 5

love is the foundation, kingdom, and the crown

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
“Proleptically present in the eschatological future”.
According to the Vatican.

There is a frog which is trying to reach the pond.
He always jumps half the remaining distance.

He jumps eternally, getting ever closer....
would it be the ruination of the vatican; if he comes NOW?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
would it be the ruination of the vatican; if he comes NOW?

I reckon his corpse is in the basement, along with the Dead Sea Scrolls and a collection of insane psychedelics. Maybe even a preserved body of the first alien who tried to negotiate.
:imp: