• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnostic Christ

ELoWolfe

I never heard of it before, but I can't seem to find a copy (except if I purchase it, which I am not ready to do at this point). It does seem interesting. Could you highlight some of what was said?

frangipani

Premium Member
I heard about this book while looking into something else and what I heard about it seem to agree with what I've always know so I purchased it and read it with the exception of the authors claim that the Christ spirit in Jesus was reunited here on earth with the spirit of Sophia residing in Mary Magdeline to reconcile this earth to the ineffable one the novel is fairly accuate from a gnostic point and shows this material creation as a great error and demonstrates clearly that we are prisoners in the body the one thing the Demierge can have some influence and control over while we are here.
The book demonstrates clearly the need for us to identify with our true being understanding that we are more than what we appear to be and than to seek the truth of the matter. And seeking and finding this Truth that gives us Gnosis because that knowledge is already in us and was from the beginning. It only needed to be awakened and identified. We identify it because it is our deep down gut felt feelings of what we know is wrong or right or Truth or a Lie. That is what the book tells us, that is what I identified with personally because that is what I've unconsciously/subconsciously always known for as long as I can remember.
But when you're ready I'm sure you will find it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

ELoWolfe

So is it a gnostic novelization of the Gospels? Is it all the Gospels, or just a few? How far does it deviate from the soure(s), even Gnostic? Example: Last Temptation of Christ took a few artistic licenses. Does this as well? (I assume some had to be done, but to the degree, I guess)

Just curious questions. I may be able to get this through a library sometime.

frangipani

Premium Member
The author quoted: It is my hope the reader, in the true Gnostic spirit, will encounter these texts and experience their revelation in his or her own way- freed from dogma and authority, as a unique and living experience.
In keeping with these thoughts in my opinion it is well worth obtaining a copy and reading it.

Domi333

Here's the thing I find hard,
a lot of people say Jesus followed Jewish law and with Gnosticism I feel like saying he rejected it I mean the New Testament said he fulfilled the law (to paraphrase: 'I did not come to break the law I came to fulfil it')

ELoWolfe

It is the definition of Law. Paul tells us that the Law was good, but only brought death (through sin). Jesus frees us from sin. If Jesus does not break the law, but the law brought sin which Jesus frees us from, there must be a different meaning to Law that Jesus is using.

Jesus himself hints at it. "You heard it said..." It isn't eye for an eye, but turn the other cheek. It isn't hate your enemy, but love your enemy. He even tells us that the law is not complete when he tells us the issue about Moses and divorce.

So what does all that mean? There are multiple laws. There is the law of the Father, and the law of the creator. Ptolemy lets us know this through Flora. Some of the law given were from the Father, some from the Craftsman and others through the Elders. Jesus does not break the law of the Father, fulfills the law of the Craftsman (makes it whole; correct it), and rejects the law of the Elders.

frangipani

Premium Member
What I find, generally speaking, is that Jesus came to teach us a law that would supersede the law of Moses while encompassing it as well. Christ brought to us through Jesus the law of the heart (That is the Spirit).