• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnats in the house?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I find that the sticky traps that attach to windows (on several in my house) seems to collect a rather large number of little ones, including clothes moths, and by the zapping sounds heard, so does an electric zapper that is switched on at night. One must do what one must do unfortunately. :oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I feel like my house is pretty clean, I wash the bedding every couple of weeks, I throw garbage food out every day (nothing stays in the indoor garbage overnight) and I wash my countertops once or twice a week when I do the dishes, and my dishes I rinse off before leaving them in the sink.

Yet I see a couple of gnats flying around. It's not like I have a swarm but they're there. It's bugging me. The only way I see them getting in is through the window screens tbh.

Anyways, it's only a couple but it's often enough to disturb me. Should I worry about this? I see they're able to crawl between the cupboard doors and that's where I store my food like chips and cereal (which are rolled shut).

I don't want to bug-fog again until November because that's when the bugs really start to move in.
Better gnats then gnus flying thru your screen.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is the Highland midge sometimes called a gnat? That's the only really tiny fly that bites that I've encountered.
I'm not familiar with that species, but many tiny flies, biting or not, are often called gnats.

Some of the names for biting flies of the gnat size are punkies, no-see-ums and biting midges. At least here in the US.

Black fly is the common name for an entire family of small, biting flies.

The unfortunate thing about common names is that same names are often applied to unrelated organisms.

According to Wikipedia, the Highland midge is a species of biting midge in the genus Culicoides.
Highland midge - Wikipedia

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
They also can live & breed in your drains. Large quantities of boiling hot water dumped down
the drains and especially garbage disposals can help. IF your pipes are up to it, plastic
pipes often can break from the thermal shock, better to use hottest possible tap water then.
Drain flies. That is an entire family of small flies. Some look like really tiny moths. Members of that family don't bite, but are a nuisance just by their presence in our homes.

There may be other species that can breed and use the drains for a habitat, but I can't think of any of hand.

Boiling should do the trick. It can also clear out gunk that has built up too.

We Never Know

No Slack
I feel like my house is pretty clean, I wash the bedding every couple of weeks, I throw garbage food out every day (nothing stays in the indoor garbage overnight) and I wash my countertops once or twice a week when I do the dishes, and my dishes I rinse off before leaving them in the sink.

Yet I see a couple of gnats flying around. It's not like I have a swarm but they're there. It's bugging me. The only way I see them getting in is through the window screens tbh.

Anyways, it's only a couple but it's often enough to disturb me. Should I worry about this? I see they're able to crawl between the cupboard doors and that's where I store my food like chips and cereal (which are rolled shut).

I don't want to bug-fog again until November because that's when the bugs really start to move in.

Why Does My Home Become Infested with Gnats in the Summer?