• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM will no longer provide batteries for Chevrolet Spark EV

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As the article noted, GM managed to sell around 7400 of them in 3 years. And as Consumer Reports estimates, the batteries should last 17 years at 12000 miles per year. So there's no economic incentive for either GM or third parties to make battery packs for that tiny number of cars when normal driving would have a battery life extending to 2032 or thereabouts.

I'm reminded of my first home computer, the IMSAI 8080 which was made for 3 years and according to the internet sold 17000-20000 units. Did anyone make spare parts? Heck no.

Early limited adoption tech is like that. It's why I'm not a bleeding edge adopter any longer - the old joke about pioneers in any field having arrows in the back come to mind.

So my take-away is more emphasis on a smart consumer considering the economic incentives involved. And in the case of cars, it's the incentive for spare parts production including batteries in the case of EVs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Last year, I need a spare key for a crankshaft on an engine
that's 200 years old. The company was out of business, but
I found something I could adapt.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Therefore you'll have to find an aftermarket battery yourself, when your Spark's battery peters out.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess this is an improvement. Last time the whole production run was recalled and crushed, when GM caved to Big Oil back in '03. :(