• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM ships 1,000 jobs to Mexico

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
So it's now Obama's fault that corporations continue to maximize profits over anything else? I thought that was a Republican paradigm. It's really coool that you can now blame yor political opponents for your own desired results!

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So it's now Obama's fault that corporatiosn continue to maximize profits over anything else? I thought that was a Republican paradigm. It's really coool that you can now blame yor political opponents for your own desired results!
Let's not forget that government (as part owner) exercises great control over GM. I presume that's implicit in the OP.
(I've no complaints though. I'd say it serves our purpose to have economic ties with Mexico.)

Requia

Wait, GM still has workers in America? I think those are Canadian jobs getting shipped to Mexico.

Archer

Hell yeah Mexico needs the jobs because most American stuff left Mexico for China. Hell outsourcing and Off-shoring are killers. I used to have a choice about buying American but thanks to greedy corporations and Americans without the BALLS to suck it up and say we want American made or we put you out of business I just have to do without or suffer the recyclable society.

Screw all the politicians.

Alceste

Vagabond
So it's now Obama's fault that corporations continue to maximize profits over anything else? I thought that was a Republican paradigm. It's really coool that you can now blame yor political opponents for your own desired results!

Lol, I know. It's crazy, isn't it? Banging on and on about how the excess of corporate regulation offends your libertarian values, then whirling around fast as you please to complain about masses of jobs moving to cheaper labour markets - an inevitable consequence of corporate deregulation. And then by some breathtaking inversion of cognitive processing, concluding that people you believe oppose your libertarian agenda somehow caused these very libertarian things to occur.

Archer

Lol, I know. It's crazy, isn't it? Banging on and on about how the excess of corporate regulation offends your libertarian values, then whirling around fast as you please to complain about masses of jobs moving to cheaper labour markets - an inevitable consequence of corporate deregulation. And then by some breathtaking inversion of cognitive processing, concluding that people you believe oppose your libertarian agenda somehow caused these very libertarian things to occur.

Wow! Can you say that so a 3 year old can follow it? Trying to follow it makes my tiny brain hurt.

Frubs.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Haven't you heard? Everything's Obama's fault now. I'm sure if there was a way to pin Obama to crucifying Jesus, someone would do it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2326471 said:
But . . . but . . . the labor market is favorable in Mexico, which will make GM more profitable in the short run . . . which is free market capitalism . . . which is what would be "conservatives" are supposed to like . . . right?

You all are too worried about this. In reality, the profits GM makes by shipping American jobs to Mexico will actually trickle down to the rest of us, don't you know?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You all are too worried about this. In reality, the profits GM makes by shipping American jobs to Mexico will actually trickle down to the rest of us, don't you know?
It actually does work that way. Dollars migrating to Mexico will ultimately be spent in America.
The real problem is not that the jobs are going there, but rather why they're going there.
Certainly, some business will go to where labor is cheaper, but we also have the problem of an
environment which is increasingly less conducive to efficient competition.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2327109 said:
Uh . . . no . . . it doesn't work that way. At least not until the value of labor sinks enough in the U.S. to reach a near equilibrium with Mexico.

There have been over a dozen studies by various economists showing trickle down economics doesn't work -- just google for them!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2327109 said:
Uh . . . no . . . it doesn't work that way. At least not until the value of labor sinks enough in the U.S. to reach a near equilibrium with Mexico.
You just gave an example of one of the mechanisms which make it work that way. Ultimately, it would be unsustainable
for them to collect little green pieces of paper & hoard them. Inflation would wipe out that investment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Troublemane.
He isn't a true libertarian....he puts sugar on his porridge.
Besides, I think you misunderstand his post, & read the wrong agenda into it.
You might ask him about how accurately you represented his views.

Archer

IMHO (and the opinion of some smarter than me) without an industrial and'/or agrarian based the US will quickly became a third world country and a welfare state.

There are only so many service sector jobs and how can we support them when people in our own country will be struggling for scraps and potentially killing for jobs. Let me see everyone can be in tech support or software development and everything will be imported? FAIL.