• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glory to "Tao te Ching". Solves why we better not proselytize

Muffled

Jesus in me

The Tao Te Ching says "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."
Here is given the key to know God. That is all we need.

So this puts evangelizing in a complete different daylight. All the people who speak don't know. I already have this feeling for a long time. So very understandable that proselytizing is prohibited in China, from where the "Tao te Ching" originated. You don't want your people brainwashed by people "who don't know".

Today there was a post on Russia stopping proselytizing. Also understanding now. Next to China, so they believe that people who evangelize = speak, that they don't know. Yes, then better not have them speak, that makes sense to me . When I was 10 years old I was intrigued with China. Even insisted to my parents that they let me eat with chop sticks. The "Tao" feels also good to me.

And last few days I mentioned quite a few times "I don't know about God, whether or not God exists", and "I don't believe science can ever prove it", because it is below the mind. Now leading to "The Tao te Ching" confirming this. Not speaking, means silence, means meditative state. In Silence the voice of God can be heard. And obviously "Voice of God = Truth".

So circle is round again. And it solves also the issue of atheists "you can't prove this". Exactly, you need to meditate to know, and then you can't blab about it. Great. All problems solved. Peace on earth. End of chatter.

Glory to "The Tao te Ching"

I believe that goes to show how ignorant Tao is.

Muffled

Jesus in me
"He who knows does not speak"

1:
God is not too chatty. RF still has to define God
Tao is not chatty at all. So definitely there is similarity

2:
Maybe so, maybe not.
With Chinese you never know what they think; not so chatty/tweety
With Americans total different story; Trump very chatty/tweetie
So definitely China is more Tao then America IMHO

Christianity has still BIG influence in USA
Obviously Tao will have influence in China
USA extrovert, Chinese introvert
USA evangelize, Chinese forbidden

But your point is taken. China and authority is a valid point
And Russia probably even more so [less Tao influence]

I believe that works for Christians because we can expand our religion while Tao can't.

I believe God knows everything and tells what He considers pertinent but Tao's knowledge is limited and in the case of the statement in the OP dead wrong.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe that works for Christians because we can expand our religion while Tao can't.

I believe God knows everything and tells what He considers pertinent but Tao's knowledge is limited and in the case of the statement in the OP dead wrong.

I seriously question that 'Christians expand their religion,' in my experience the religion is progressively narrowed over time, and divided again and again, and narrowed more with each division,.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Just an idea I had [never heard about it before, just popped into my head]

Some say that Christianity, Pope [not PopeADope], Rome etc. is rich and influential in the world.
Lots of control, money, sex and stuff going on.

Could it be that "Tao Te Ching" also was used to control the masses in China?
I mean if you teach them to "not speak", is a good way to have people not "speak up for them selves"

Or is "Tao Te Ching" very pure, when you compare it to "The Church, Pope..."?

I believe Tao like any philosopher says what he says from his own thinking and no man has pure thoughts.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I seriously question that 'Christians expand their religion,' in my experience the religion is progressively narrowed over time, and divided again and again, and narrowed more with each division,.

I believe you are mistaken division does not narrow but expands. Of course there is always the danger of it expanding so much that it doesn't look much like the original.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe you are mistaken division does not narrow but expands. Of course there is always the danger of it expanding so much that it doesn't look much like the original.

The reality is that each division claims to the 'True Way' and narrows their view at the expense of others they believe do not measure up to 'their standard.

This is simply the reality of what happens in Christianity. The facts speak for themselves. Many if not most Christians today believe in a their version of a literal scripture, and accuse others who do not believe this as false and a worst evil.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Who told you that the Tao Te Ching said this and did you believe him? :D

First, are you interpreting the Tao to be god?

You are speaking and do not know. There is no glory in the "Tao te Ching" when someone claims glory.

Again . . .You are speaking and do not know. There is no glory in the "Tao te Ching" when someone claims glory.

in the act of posting ...you have proven......you don't know

ah.... the paradox.....how to get people to be influenced by something you cannot speak of

so.....we should listen to you?

Well it is more like over the top sarcasm. This is the wrong section for this foolishness. Taoism and the Tao te Ching deserve more respect than this.

If what you say is true then it’s better you didn’t post this.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously question that 'Christians expand their religion,

Good I posted this. Look how all of you had fun being able to vent of some steam, and using some creativity inspired by Tao te Ching

At least all of you were writing, so no one can blame you using Tao te Ching "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

Or do you want to debate that now? And prove your points that "He who speaks/writes, does not know"???

sealchan

The Tao Te Ching says "He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

So this puts evangelizing in a complete different daylight. All the people who speak don't know. I already have this feeling for a long time. So very understandable that proselytizing is prohibited in China, from where the "Tao te Ching" originated. You don't want your people brainwashed by people "who don't know".

Today there was a post on Russia stopping proselytizing. Also understanding now. Next to China, so they believe that people who evangelize = speak, that they don't know. Yes, then better not have them speak, that makes sense to me . When I was 10 years old I was intrigued with China. Even insisted to my parents that they let me eat with chop sticks. The "Tao" feels also good to me.

And last few days I mentioned quite a few times "I don't know about God, whether or not God exists", and "I don't believe science can ever prove it", because it is below the mind. Now leading to "The Tao te Ching" confirming this. Not speaking, means silence, means meditative state. In Silence the voice of God can be heard. And obviously "Voice of God = Truth".

So circle is round again. And it solves also the issue of atheists "you can't prove this". Exactly, you need to meditate to know, and then you can't blab about it. Great. All problems solved. Peace on earth. End of chatter.

There is only One Tao! ;-)

I agree. But this is mysticism, and as much as I love mysticism, it falls flat for many because it either "catches you" in its mystery or it repels you in its irrationality.

What to do? The mystery beyond understanding...

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is only One Tao! ;-)

What to do? The mystery beyond understanding...

Will they ever learn?

Pick and choose the shoes that fit.
What pleases thee may not please me.
Worn paths of dust and ashes these shoes take.
The shoes of comfort are not the fit for thee nor me.

Will they ever learn?

From age to age,
the past can never be again
Again and again, calls to awaken,
bells peal and echo the past no change again.

Will they ever learn?

. . . that impermanence reigns.

Where shall we go?
What shall we fete?
Take off your hat and shoes
walk in the rain and get wet.

Frank A. Doonan

Sanzbir

You definitely give strong reasons for not proselytizing and I do agree with you on the principle.

The only thing you write that is incorrect is this:

So very understandable that proselytizing is prohibited in China, from where the "Tao te Ching" originated.

That's not the reason that China prohibits it, and their prohibition is not linked to the Taoist school of philosophy, but rather the Maoist school. It's less to do about knowing and not-knowing, and more to do with cutting down competition for the State's preferred ideology. We can see this is the case because the Chinese Government still proselytizes it's own non-religious ideology.

stvdv

Thanks for putting this in such a respectful way
I believe this quote of "Tao te Ching" is the greatest
And should be quoted at least as much as Bible verses IMHO.
Then lots of ignorance from the Bible will be dispelled IMHO

stvdv

IMHO: Here you prove that Christians are quite narrowing. If they are narrowing here, they might be narrowing everywhere, don't you think so?

stvdv

I believe Tao like any philosopher says what he says from his own thinking and no man has pure thoughts.
I have to admit I know nothing from Tao te Ching, except the quote I was granted yesterday, which proves the writer to be great IMHO
But I do believe "Tao" is not a philospher. The one who wrote this masterpiece must have been at least of the level of Jesus IMHO.

sealchan

There is much in the Bible in agreement with your quote. Walk a mile...is the first that comes to mind.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe I can ask what I am to respect, the wrongness?

I believe I would love to hear why something wrong is great. Is ti simply because adherents consider it great like the idol worshipers thinking their idols were great while God laughed at them.

I believe there seems to be a lack of relevance to such a notion.

sealchan

The Tao, in a deep way, is the abstraction of thought and neural action and architecture itself. From excitatory and inhibitory neurochemical to mutually inhibitory pathways that control opposing muscles to the architecture of personality and its biases development of the four conscious functions in pairs of opposites...our very experience of consciousness and its neural underpinnings IS Tao.

The eye cannot see itself seeing.

stvdv

You definitely give strong reasons for not proselytizing and I do agree with you on the principle.
The only thing you write that is incorrect is this:
That's not the reason that China prohibits it, and their prohibition is not linked to the Taoist school of philosophy, but rather the Maoist school. It's less to do about knowing and not-knowing, and more to do with cutting down competition for the State's preferred ideology. We can see this is the case because the Chinese Government still proselytizes it's own non-religious ideology.
What can I do? I always give others (Chinese) the advantage till proven wrong.
You proved them wrong @Sunstone gave already a hint. [put you put it even more simple "they proselytize themselves forbidding others"]

So sadly we have to accept that these Chinese human lookalikes are nothing more than mischievous hypocrites
[real human is not hypocritical IMHO; I do realize that this narrows down real humans considerably:D:D:D]

stvdv

I believe I can ask what I am to respect, the wrongness?

I believe I would love to hear why something wrong is great. Is ti simply because adherents consider it great like the idol worshipers thinking their idols were great while God laughed at them.

I believe there seems to be a lack of relevance to such a notion.
I believe you have all rights to believe this way
And if it makes you happy then I won't be the one to take that away from you
I advice you to just stick to Jesus, and not even contemplate the Tao te Ching
Focus all your attention on Jesus and Jesus alone

May Jesus Bless you with enlightenment [or whatever you wish for]

we-live-now

:)