• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming

Muffled

Jesus in me
Scientists like to point at man's contribution to global warming but I have another theory which also can help explain climate change (Not all of which is due to global warming).

I think the Indonesian earthquake which caused the Tsunami gave the earth enough of a jolt to send it slightly closer to the sun. It would not take much. Our earth is in a very delicate balance. Another possibility is that the earthquake also changed the eliptic which would have affects on climate. These things should be measurable if there is anyone capable in this thread to do so.

The religious will recognize God turning up the heat from the book of Revelation but seven times has to be figurative or we would all be crispy critters. Do the math.
I think God is sending an asteroid to hit the earth and knock it back into place but unfortuantely for the residents it destroys almost everything as well. Anyway it is nice to know that someone is interested in keeping earth a garden instead of making it into a hot spring.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think the Gates of Hell have been opened in preparation for the Last Days and for the release of demons and devils to torment non-believers, and the heat has simply escaped into the atmosphere because of the chemical process of energy diffusion, thereby gradually raising the atmospheric temperature of the planet. As the seas rise, this will allow Cthulhu, soon to be released from his watery prison, to move further inland for purposes of eating the bodies and souls of the damned.

1145179136Cthulhu.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would vibrating a orbiting object change it's orbit? Even if the planet crumbled into a pile of gravel the mass, and orbit, would be unchanged.

Wouldn't astronomers immediately notice such a change?

Why would this, particular little quake produce such a change? There are bigger cataclysms all the (geological) time.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Why would vibrating a orbiting object change it's orbit? Even if the planet crumbled into a pile of gravel the mass, and orbit, would be unchanged.

This is a thread for theories, Sey, not questions. Post your theory. It's brainstorming time. :cool:

Muffled

Jesus in me

Why would this, particular little quake produce such a change? There are bigger cataclysms all the (geological) time.

Vibrations are a symptom of a seimological event not the cause. The cause was a massive landslide of an undersea mountain. There was a high mass shift although I would grant you that it seems miniscule in relation to the mass of the earth.

I am not sure about this. I have never seen it discussed in school and I am not into the scientific community enough to know insider information.

It would seem so because telescopes that are calibrated to zone in on particular stars might have to be recalibrated. That does not mean that they would be looking for a cause. I think there is enough usual change (sideral drift) so that it might go unnoticed.

As the real estate people say "location, location, location." Certainly Krakatoa would qualify as a bigger event. Although there was associated climate change, it was totally construed as a result of erupted gasses in the atmosphere.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
doppelgänger;970326 said:
I think the Gates of Hell have been opened in preparation for the Last Days and for the release of demons and devils to torment non-believers, and the heat has simply escaped into the atmosphere because of the chemical process of energy diffusion, thereby gradually raising the atmospheric temperature of the planet. As the seas rise, this will allow Cthulhu, soon to be released from his watery prison, to move further inland for purposes of eating the bodies and souls of the damned.

1145179136Cthulhu.jpg
I like that. Can I quote you?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Stop letting facts cloud the argument!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
doppelgänger;970335 said:
This is a thread for theories, Sey, not questions. Post your theory. It's brainstorming time. :cool:
Cool, Glowbull Warming is a result of the earth's thermostat being set too high.:yes:

Just turn it down a little.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not talking about a mass "shift," my quiet friend. I'm talking about a change in the weight of the planet; mass in the scientific sense, not the colloquial sense of agglomeration.
There is no friction slowing the planet, and no change of mass.

Google Newton's first two Laws of Motion, or the Laws of Rotational Momentum.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not talking about a mass "shift," my quiet friend. I'm talking about a change in the weight of the planet; mass in the scientific sense, not the colloquial sense of agglomeration.
There is no friction slowing the planet, and no change of mass.

Google Newton's first two Laws of Motion, or the Laws of Rotational Momentum.
Ack Seyorni, details, details, details. I'd change my tone if I were you baby, lest you become part of Cthulhu's dinner menu. You know who is watching and he is making a list, and checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice, Cthulhu's comin' to town!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Cool, Glowbull Warming is a result of the earth's thermostat being set too high.:yes:

Just turn it down a little.
Yeah, but using the earth's AC so much will cause warming of the entire solar system. It's just like us Terrans to not think of the effects our actions have on the poor Venusians and Martians.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
doppelgänger;970326 said:

1145179136Cthulhu.jpg
Looks like Tiamat. :) Works for me!

(You do realize, don't you Dopp, that some people do see Global Warming as a sign of the End Times?)

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Personally I think that global warming is due to numerous factors and that while we may be contributing to it we are not the cause. Here's a few theories I have thought of/heard of:

It's a result of the natural cycle of either the Earth or the Sun or a combination of the two

I've heard that every now and then the poles of the earth swap places and that we're due for a swap anytime now so this could affect the timing of the seasons

The sun is middle aged and perhaps older than we think it is so it may be giving off more heat than it normally does

(now for some slightly humerous ones)

As the population of humans and other wamr blooded critters grows all the heat they're releasing is causing the earth to warm up

Mother nature has the flu and global warming is nothing more than a "fever"

That's all I can think of for now but I'll post more if I come up with any. My personal opinion is that this is all part of the Earth's natural cycle and we are likely just speeding up the process but it would happen with or without us.(but I still support measures for cleaner feul and environmentally friendly technology and if it takes a global warming scare to get us to work on those things I don't have a problem with that)

logician

You're beating a dead horse. Global warming largely induced by mankind's actions is a proven fact, the question is what are we going to do about it. Take the Bush (do nothing) course of action, or the Gore (do something) course of action. The fate of our descendants hangs in the balance.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
You're beating a dead horse. Global warming largely induced by mankind's actions is a proven fact,
No its not.
the question is what are we going to do about it. Take the Bush (do nothing) course of action, or the Gore (do something) course of action. The fate of our descendants hangs in the balance.
Lets assume you are right and CO2 emissions are causing global warming. What do we do about it? In order to stop the warming trend, we would have to return to 1840 level emissions, impossible with 6 billion people and the developing third world.
Would warming even be bad for us?

My theory? Its those evil vegetarians. They eat plants which absorb CO2, and don't eat animals which emit CO2 and Methane.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Scientists like to point at man's contribution to global warming but I have another theory which also can help explain climate change (Not all of which is due to global warming).

I think the Indonesian earthquake which caused the Tsunami gave the earth enough of a jolt to send it slightly closer to the sun. It would not take much. Our earth is in a very delicate balance. Another possibility is that the earthquake also changed the eliptic which would have affects on climate. These things should be measurable if there is anyone capable in this thread to do so.

The religious will recognize God turning up the heat from the book of Revelation but seven times has to be figurative or we would all be crispy critters. Do the math.
I think God is sending an asteroid to hit the earth and knock it back into place but unfortuantely for the residents it destroys almost everything as well. Anyway it is nice to know that someone is interested in keeping earth a garden instead of making it into a hot spring.

Global warming is a natural event. The earth has been coming out of an ice age since before mankind came into existence. Yes, humans are increasing the onset of global warming by releasing greenhouse gasses but humans are not the initial cause or even the greatest effect of it.

Being closer to the sun doesn't have as much of an effect on warming as you think.
The earth is actually closer to the sun in winter (north hemisphere) than in summer.

God send an asteroid to hit the earth? Sheesh... God does not do this. God has never done anything like this nor will He. The Old Testament is wrong, ancient priests blamed every natural event on God and shouted "God is angry with us!" because they were idiots about how natural earth events happen.

There is a great change coming though. The earth is moving into a higher dimension.

There will be terrible earthquakes...

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
One possibility for all the strange weather is the earth is trying to heal itself. And if we get in the way, well that's poetic justice.